our team

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: our team

Postby Stuckey Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:07 pm

He's under contract, but I would love AU to poach Diego Castro from Perth.
Castro and Carrusca can not play in the same team.
Agree. IMO behind every great number 10 is an equally good number 8 that few notice.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby EdDog Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Castro plays on the wing though yeah?

Him and Cirio either side of a decent striker could do some damage.

Would rather Rubén Castro.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:29 pm

The reason I say they cannot play in the same team is not that they cannot play different positions, it is that they are both ageing players who do not offer that much defensively. The team would have to carry them both and I think that is too much. As far as we go, our weaker side in defence is likely to be Garuccio at LB and putting Castro in front of him would leave him without any defensive support and risks seeing him up against a RW and RB regularly.

I actually see them both as quite similar in that both played a lot on the left side before coming to Australia but are now both play makers for their team.
I am Scott
flavze

Postby flavze Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Djite did something I did not expect, he proved me wrong, he showed he could be a better player than I thought he could be for the club. I was wrong.
So yes having proved me wrong it makes complete sense that I would change my view on him from being someone who should be replaced to being a big loss to the team. To do otherwise would be idiotic.
Still there are strikers out there, many of them, who can score lots of goals for us. The club needs to make sure we sign a Fornaroli rather than a Piovaccari. The trouble is Piovaccari's record was much better than Fornaroli's record so finding the right striker is not easy. The issue is not that Djite is irreplaceable, but that we might not find sign the right replacement
I don't think we can rule out Marino scoring quite a few goals for us this season, he has something about him that I like.
To be honest Bruce is irreplaceable.
There is no Australian out there that can replicate what Bruce did for AU on the wage he was on.
The only options AU have is either find a visa player who can which will be an expensive option.
Or alter their game plan entirely.
I feel the second option is more likely.
one of the most loltastic things i have ever read on the internet...... irreplaceable.... :up: :up:
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:42 pm

Taking words out of context level ; VAL/10
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:15 pm

Djite did something I did not expect, he proved me wrong, he showed he could be a better player than I thought he could be for the club. I was wrong.
So yes having proved me wrong it makes complete sense that I would change my view on him from being someone who should be replaced to being a big loss to the team. To do otherwise would be idiotic.
Still there are strikers out there, many of them, who can score lots of goals for us. The club needs to make sure we sign a Fornaroli rather than a Piovaccari. The trouble is Piovaccari's record was much better than Fornaroli's record so finding the right striker is not easy. The issue is not that Djite is irreplaceable, but that we might not find sign the right replacement
I don't think we can rule out Marino scoring quite a few goals for us this season, he has something about him that I like.
There is no Australian out there that can replicate what Bruce did for AU on the wage he was on.
The only options AU have is either find a visa player who can which will be an expensive option.
one of the most loltastic things i have ever read on the internet...... irreplaceable.... :up: :up:
Who can replace him then?
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:24 pm

I was waiting for someone to latch on to that! :lol:
By all means find us an Australian striker, with target man skills and that would take a wage that would fit into the salary cap.
Time to Djbate!
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:03 pm

The other thing to consider is if we again prove that we can develop young players this season we could get a number of the Joeys team join us at the end of the season or the following season. Being a noted developer of young players could be quite a profitable venture and also allow us to spend slightly more on visa players as the young talent will be on less wages than older A-league players. And we showed last season that developing young players does not preclude a team from having success.

Players like John Roberts and Lachlan Brook could be very good young players for a year or two and then bring in very good money with a move overseas.

Maybe this kind of vision for the club is not what everyone wants but it might be the only way we can be competitive against the bigger teams with more resources and win any trophies.
Hear, hear.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:10 pm

Castro plays on the wing though yeah?

Him and Cirio either side of a decent striker could do some damage.

Would rather Rubén Castro.
PG play a lop sided team, it works because of the massive work rate of the players. I'm not convinced by their depth but could easily see them taking out the premiership inside the season as long as they don't get points deducted again.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:19 pm

Perth's biggest secret ahead of next season is a simple one: they didn't sack their coach. I like Kenny Lowe, a character and evidently quite a sound manager.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:19 am

I think the most underappreciated skill of Djite that will make him hard to replace is that he can use both feet equally well, which largely negated the need for a lot of "skill" required to get the ball on the correct foot and let him focus on throwing his weight around/shielding the ball.

If they're trying to bring in a like-for-like swap I think they'll need to bring in a more skillful targetman for equal effect... which normally comes at the cost of physical presence.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:24 am

I think the most underappreciated skill of Djite that will make him hard to replace is that he can use both feet equally well, which largely negated the need for a lot of "skill" required to get the ball on the correct foot and let him focus on throwing his weight around/shielding the ball.

If they're trying to bring in a like-for-like swap I think they'll need to bring in a more skillful targetman for equal effect... which normally comes at the cost of physical presence.
I agree. The amount of times Bruce would maintain possession while under pressure from multiple opponents was at times amazing.
IMO the only way the club could entirely replace Bruce would be with a marquee signing.
I'm yet to hear one name that could capably replace him and fit in the cap. Tomi Juric is probably the only Australian I can think of that would offer a similar skill set to Bruce. He would certainly not be returning to the HAL for anything less than a marquee wage.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:57 am

His leadership qualities at the club will be irreplaceable.

He was a massive presence.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:12 am

Totally agree.

Defenders could not sit back when bruces back was to goal as he was always a threat to turn and launch a cannon at the goal. This was always where chelo or our wide players had opportunity because bruce would draw 2 defenders.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:47 pm

His leadership qualities at the club will be irreplaceable.

He was a massive presence.
This is what i am/was most worried about when i heard about him leaving. He was a big part of AUFC, he has been through the highs and the lows. He knows the city and the fans, and thats a good person to have on the team to help acclimatise new players into our team and to help keep players chins up when things aren't going to well.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”