Kamau departure

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedGrant
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Kamau departure

Postby RedGrant Thu May 05, 2016 10:56 pm

Wanted to start a new thread regarding this because it raises a lot of questions.....It seems the deal was done some time ago but have a lot of questions/concerns about it.
I'm questioning why he would feel compelled to leave. If it is purely about a substantial offer that we could not match then why? It appears we did make an offer so were we being tightarses? Would like to know a bit more...
What annoys me is that he is a local lad...a player we developed who cemented his place in the team. We have now lost him with no compensation. If Melb City move him on with a transfer fee they benefit not us.
He could have stayed and enjoyed a campaign in the ACL. So why now?
Are Melb City campaigning hard with promises they may not be able to keep? (Hey, join us, you will play around the world and we are building a team). And why was Malik so keen to join?
The bottom line is I'm just struggling to understand why.
Was there something else going on within the playing group and him?
Are the rumors of Gombau coming to City true and he is keen to link up?
Biggest question of all.....cheer or boo him?
RedGrant

Re: Kamau departure

Postby RedGrant Thu May 05, 2016 11:00 pm

One further thing...is this all part of a gentlemans agreement with City stemming from the Mauk/Malik deal and are we yet to see who may end up here?
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu May 05, 2016 11:20 pm

I for one don't know what to make of a move like this.
Overseas? Fair enough and good luck...

But to go to MC?
WTF for?
I read somewhere that his family and his agent believe that this is the "best next step" for him as a player but it hardly seems credible after the double and the faith shown in him by Amor.

It must be a money thing.

Oh well...

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu May 05, 2016 11:20 pm

Wanted to start a new thread regarding this because it raises a lot of questions.....It seems the deal was done some time ago but have a lot of questions/concerns about it.
I'm questioning why he would feel compelled to leave. If it is purely about a substantial offer that we could not match then why? It appears we did make an offer so were we being tightarses? Would like to know a bit more...
What annoys me is that he is a local lad...a player we developed who cemented his place in the team. We have now lost him with no compensation. If Melb City move him on with a transfer fee they benefit not us.
He could have stayed and enjoyed a campaign in the ACL. So why now?
Are Melb City campaigning hard with promises they may not be able to keep? (Hey, join us, you will play around the world and we are building a team). And why was Malik so keen to join?
The bottom line is I'm just struggling to understand why.
Was there something else going on within the playing group and him?
Are the rumors of Gombau coming to City true and he is keen to link up?
Biggest question of all.....cheer or boo him?
Starting with the Malik thing, I don't think he wanted to leave here, ideally he would have stayed but he knew he wasn't gonna play defensive mid in our team. Isaias has the spot. Centreback is not his strongest position. At City he would have the chance to play in midfield, so he left in exchange for Mauk, who just wanted to get out of City and come back home.

As for Kamau, who knows, everyone is confused. Could be that we didn't offer him enough or that City offered him above and beyond. Could be that he wants to study in Melbourne. He still lives with his parents, maybe they wanted to move to Melbourne and he wanted to go with. We're in the dark. All we know is the club isn't happy about it.
As for the the compensation, we might get the scraps of the transfer fee, idk if we count as his junior club, or whatever that rule is where the team that plays a big role in developing a player is required to be paid compensation.

To boo him? Naaahh, why boo a player who joined a small club from Melbourne :D

On a side note, I was a little disappointed people booed Dario at the GF. He played for us, we sold him, Dario didn't owe us anything.
RedGrant

Postby RedGrant Thu May 05, 2016 11:38 pm

Agree with the Dario thing..shouldn't boo....same with Dodd when he came here....
However, players like Lustica and Flores I would boo all night long. One of my fave times at Hindmarsh was Flores asking to be subbed because he just didn't handle the boos.
Kamau...I just don't know...I want to know more before I would boo him...and wait for my anger to subside
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Fri May 06, 2016 12:34 am

Kamau will be paid $1500 a week at City. That's an annual salary of $78,000.

As for his reasons for signing, I have heard that it was agreed months ago - likely when our form was poor and he wasn't getting a game.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Bilbo Buggins
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cirio

Postby Bilbo Buggins Fri May 06, 2016 3:39 am

Seems like a very strange decision for a young player getting game time in a very good team under a coach we are frankly incredibly lucky to have. Seems very shortsighted of Kamau, but I wish him all the best and hope he gets what he wants out of his move.
Hammerzeit

Postby Hammerzeit Fri May 06, 2016 6:47 am

Strange decision by Kamau, yes, though I think the biggest talking point that comes from this is the reaction by the club. They are clearly pissed, and not afraid for that to be known.

I'm wondering why... Even if we accept that Brucie is a player that the club wants to build around, and they have worked hard to keep him as a result, this is not a normal reaction by a football club. It feels personal to me - like the club is hurt that Bruce chose city over us. The clubs reaction is immature, and points toward emotional decision making. We could have easily made a simple statement saying 'mini Bruce gone, long live the Bruce' and ridden the goodwill of the double.

Again, why? I love a good conspiracy, but there has to be more to this story than Bruce being offered more to play at city. What are the ingredients: Petrillo's history at United and position at city, Gombau's link to the city football group, city's financial clout, recent player movements between the clubs, JVS's general shitness at managing a football team, on field spite.

Add all this up, and it looks like there's far more to the story...
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Fri May 06, 2016 8:04 am

The decision could have been made quite a while ago before Bruce got his starting run and before it became clear Goodwin was leaving and definitely before Marrone was injured.Perhaps he thought he would just be a bench player, because he really only started because Elrich was not in the side, or coming back from injury. Also Goodwin was being played out of position ahead of him. The decision makes much more sense if the context was 3 months ago.

The club might be annoyed if he went behind their back and agreed to join City without giving the club a chance to discuss it with them, however this is just speculation.
I am Scott
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri May 06, 2016 8:11 am

Agree with the Dario thing..shouldn't boo....same with Dodd when he came here....
However, players like Lustica and Flores I would boo all night long. One of my fave times at Hindmarsh was Flores asking to be subbed because he just didn't handle the boos.
Kamau...I just don't know...I want to know more before I would boo him...and wait for my anger to subside
Absolutely. If you're going to boo a player who gave their all, was a club champion while here and made the club some serious money in the transfer market leaving. Then boo the current players in front of you too, as you clearly have NFI.

As for the Kamau deal, its clear players are attracted to the fact City have such a massive amount of resources and connections abroad.
Time to Djbate!
View From The Top
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Postby View From The Top Fri May 06, 2016 8:14 am

Now we have the inevitable come down after the highs of Sunday.
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Fri May 06, 2016 8:15 am

I have no problem booing a former player no matter what the transfer situation, anything just to put him off his game just that little bit but if he gets subbed off ill still clap and applaud. No malice or anything towards the player, you cant make these things personal, it's business, but I dont mind former players copping it a bit their first couple of returns to adelaide.
leigh

Postby leigh Fri May 06, 2016 8:47 am

Bruce always looked excellent on the pitch with a great attitude, applied himself well and work hard for the team. I have distinct memories however of a youth game when he was on the bench warming up, he was putting in minimal effort and was joking with another player while ang ( who was assistant at the time) was talking. Ang ripped into him and Bruce had some words not loud enough to hear but not pleasant, Micky had a word him after and looked not at all pleased. It was a bit surprising to see. I'm aware it was only the once and could have been a bad day for the kid but I think he is a super confident, ambitious young man with a touch of arrogance. Having worked with young men at that level for a number of years I've seen a lot make brash desicions, change scenery in the face of a challenge and also identify mentors/friends and stick with them. Perhaps he looks up to or has a better relationship with our guys that have headed to city? Maybe we still wanted to pay a minimum youth wage? Lots of options but it's hard to not see it as an odd one from our perspective as singular as that may be.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri May 06, 2016 8:53 am

I don't think the club's response is out of line if he/his agent burned them. Maybe he is a touch arrogant. He's always done exactly what's asked and applied himself well on the pitch though.

I don't believe that loyalty is dead in football - the fact that players like BigBruce & Eugene keep talking about how AU is a family doesn't just seem like empty words, you can see the bonds that most of the players have.

So for one to fly the nest like this must be a little bit of a kick in the guts. As others have said, Jeggo & Goodwin's moves are one thing, but jumping across to friggin Melbourne Heart is another.

Thankfully a lot of the older players seem to place more stock in loyalty to the club - though maybe they just realise the grass isn't always greener.

And on that note: resign Pablo, farken!!
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Fri May 06, 2016 9:53 am

So it's a 2 year deal. I can only assume it's for money and some other promises City made.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”