If Amor goes...

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Should Amor be booted?

Yes
19%
No
62%
Undecided
19%

Total votes: 26
Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Re: If Amor goes...

Postby Old Gregg Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:15 am

In today's paper Val is saying calls for Amor's head are a stupid knee-jerk reaction .. while still hurling criticism at Gombau.

At this stage in JG's first season Val was leading the charge to boot him out, despite the fact that results (and the general trajectory of the club) were much better than they are now.

I don't want to boot Amor - I believe that every coach deserves a full season before judgement - but Val has a history of going off half-cocked. He put all his backing behind Amor right from the start and now he can't bring himself to publish any sort of criticism. Basically, he's saying current results are the fault of Gombau walking out and the current squad, who are destroying Billy's reputation. Absolute hypocrisy considering his approach to Gombau.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:37 am

In today's paper Val is saying calls for Amor's head are a stupid knee-jerk reaction .. while still hurling criticism at Gombau.

At this stage in JG's first season Val was leading the charge to boot him out, despite the fact that results (and the general trajectory of the club) were much better than they are now.

I don't want to boot Amor - I believe that every coach deserves a full season before judgement - but Val has a history of going off half-cocked. He put all his backing behind Amor right from the start and now he can't bring himself to publish any sort of criticism. Basically, he's saying current results are the fault of Gombau walking out and the current squad, who are destroying Billy's reputation. Absolute hypocrisy considering his approach to Gombau.
I actually agree with val. At seasons start i said we dont have the players to be competitive this year and the club will throw amor under the bus. Though i did not expect it to be this bumpy.

However as you say his support if amor and criticism of gombau makes absolutely no sense.

I certainly feel sorry for amor. He has the reputation as being a gentleman and a true sportsman. The things being said about his imo are mostly unfounded but he is a manager now and needs to manipulate tough situations.

Its interesting that both kossie and val have given amor back but gave josep nothing.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:51 am

I hope you don't mind Milan but I added a poll to your post as I didn't want to start another thread just for this.

Question is, should Amor be given the boot?
I'm firmly in the No camp.
Scott is back
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Osama Malik

Postby Scott is back Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:55 am

I hope you don't mind Milan but I added a poll to your post as I didn't want to start another thread just for this.

The poll needs an undecided option. I am not close enough to what is going on at the club to know whether he should be sacked or not.
mcjules

Postby mcjules Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:58 am

The poll needs an undecided option. I am not close enough to what is going on at the club to know whether he should be sacked or not.
Added. Apologies to the one other person who already voted, you'll have to do it again :)
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:14 am

Im in the no camp but im not sure amor has the tools around him to turn it around

But something needs to firmly change. I cant see the squad recovering from this. It either needs to be amor leaving or a squad rejuvenation in january if not both.

So imo possibly it would be best for him to walk.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:16 am

Possibly the best post you have ever made.

Reality is none of us truly know the situation and its likely to have been bubbling along for 6 months or more. We can only soeculate
mcjules

Postby mcjules Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:31 am

Im in the no camp but im not sure amor has the tools around him to turn it around

But something needs to firmly change. I cant see the squad recovering from this. It either needs to be amor leaving or a squad rejuvenation in january if not both.

So imo possibly it would be best for him to walk.
This does raise something that I think is worthwhile discussing in a different thread. What exactly are your on field expectations of Adelaide United?

Everyone obviously wants better than what we're getting at the moment but I suspect my expectations aren't as ambitious as others for example.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:41 am

No reason we can't make finals. A win on the weekend and we are up to 7th.

Newy, CCM & Perth are utter trash football teams so if we finish below them we are dire.

Then we just need to hope Welly also drop off as they usually do and then we can scrape 6th. Anything higher is out of the question.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:00 pm

In my opinion the last couple of weeks have shown that we do have the players to succeed but we don't have any idea what we're doing on the field. The players are not so different to what we had last year (Mabil being the only x-factor player we haven't replaced) but the team is just playing so poorly corporately. The fact Cello came on and the team started to play much more fluently is simply a sign that the structure is flawed and the individual components are making the difference. In the last two years we've had a system and we've had buy-in. I don't hear the players speaking glowingly of Amor. I don't hear Amor speaking glowingly of the players. I don't hear Amor speaking to the fans or the press with any energy of hope. I don't see the fans responding to the coach or the game plan.

I pretty much expect the he'll either walk or we'll see the season out with him but I struggle to believe that we'll improve much if we do. Unfortunately he exudes no confidence or clarity. No doubt that's partly a language issue but he took the job and he needs to be held responsible. It's not simply the board's fault.

Great players very often do not make great coaches. He may become one but - as a fan of our team - I'm not really prepared to wait until he learns his lesson. We've gone from playing exciting football to looking like a player led mess.

Even with managers we've had who have brought us low I have never before had the feeling that I had no idea what they were trying to do. With Amor I am completely in the dark - except that whatever it is it's not working at all.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:31 pm

I can't see Amor lasting the season (and am surprised he still had a job as of writing.) The situation with the players isn't sustainable and the only solution is a change in manager or getting rid of the players, which isn't going to happen given the players involved.
supsup

Postby supsup Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:09 pm

I am not happy with Amor but the alternatives in Valkanis or Marti are simply not viable. We should stick with Amor.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:10 pm

I back him at present, but would rather see Amor walk than a majority of our players.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:43 pm

I am not happy with Amor but the alternatives in Valkanis or Marti are simply not viable. We should stick with Amor.
There's no possible way either could be worse. Valkanis' stint in charge was three times as successful as Amor's has been thus far.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:58 pm

If we stick with amor through the season i think we need to go all in and allow him a full pre season and to build his own squad for next year.

Possibly a case of " speak now or forever hold your peace" for the club

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”