Bruce's dry spell

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Bruce's dry spell

Postby Stuckey Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:44 am

http://outside90.com/232bruce-djites-go ... pirations/

This article does bring up valid points but I think the author is forgetting one point. Which is where and how often Bruce is receiving the ball.

Earlier in the season he was receiving the ball in the area far more often then he is now so I can't really see why its his fault for not scoring when he rarely gets a chance on the ball in the area. Now I guess people can point the finger still at Bruce and say "well why isn't he winning the ball in the area like a good striker should?" But unless Bruce is doing a Neymar and dribbling past 7 players to score, surely how strikers are being feed needs to be looked at as well?

IMO the main issue is how many players are entering the box when a cross or thru ball is being played. If its only Bruce or Bruce and one other player then generally the defence are going to have the numerical advantage and will more then likely clear the ball.
I think in the last few weeks this has been AU's biggest issue.
Time to Djbate!
RedTide
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Re: Bruce's dry spell

Postby RedTide Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:48 am

Well said Stuckey ... concur with all. I am a well known fan of Big Bad Bruce and I think that his lack of goals in the past month has a lot to do with his lack of service. Our strikers were receiving endless crosses from our magnificent wingers in the first half of the season, but since other teams have cut our wingers out, much of the service has dried up.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:51 am

It's not as if Bruce was knocking them in for fun earlier in the season when the service was there though.
RedTide

Postby RedTide Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:56 am

It's not as if Bruce was knocking them in for fun earlier in the season when the service was there though.
Bruce has been either our top striker, equal top striker or (now) equal #2 striker for the whole season - plus he got us into the FFA Cup semi-final with 2 goals away against Sydney in the QF. Without Bruce, we'd be down in 6th or 7th now and discussing "mathematical chances of making the finals"; whereas we are instead openly discussing whether we will finish first or second.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:56 am

6 goals in 12 games is a good return, That's what he had before Christmas.
Time to Djbate!
Geogeo
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carussca
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We hate you because your victorian.

Postby Geogeo Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:10 pm

i dunno about finishing first or second...
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:11 pm

Now that AU have filled Brissy with confidence MV should be out or the running! 8)
Time to Djbate!
RedTide

Postby RedTide Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Now that AU have filled Brissy with confidence MV should be out or the running! 8)
I'm glad that someone else had this feeling too ... this could be the silver lining from our terrible result on the weekend. If the Meow are suddenly brimfull of confidence from beating us at Hindmarsh, then that could well mean at least one win for them against the Failure in Brisvegas. One loss by the Failure in Brissy could be just what we need to sneak past them this weekend - IF we win.

Knowing how terrible we have been of late, that's hardly a given, but yes, we can still think about finishing first or second - and partly because we lost on the weekend, which is odd indeed.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:28 pm

I was mainly joking but yes it would be great is this played into AU's hands.
Personally I'd just like to see our game play turn around so we can head into the finals with some confidence.
Time to Djbate!
leigh

Postby leigh Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:32 pm

I feel like I could accept Bruce as a deeper striker picking up the ball closer to the midfield if he had a first touch, ability to pick a one touch pass or more vision. As it currently exists Pablo can play that role in an improved capacity and offer genuine creativity.

I understand the sentiment that he is a "defensive" forward who does a tremendous amount of pressing, I always applaud that and value the contribution. I worry that Djite for whatever reason just lacks a bit of strikers instinct and timing. Far too often I see him make a run into the box looking for physical contact, dragging himself to the marker rather than the opposite. It is on a rare occasion bruce looks to make runs away from his marker, putting his defender off balance or pulling into space.

I like the guy but I think there are some fundamental tactical issues in regards to his skill set that are holding us back.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:44 pm

I feel like I could accept Bruce as a deeper striker picking up the ball closer to the midfield if he had a first touch, ability to pick a one touch pass or more vision. As it currently exists Pablo can play that role in an improved capacity and offer genuine creativity.

I understand the sentiment that he is a "defensive" forward who does a tremendous amount of pressing, I always applaud that and value the contribution. I worry that Djite for whatever reason just lacks a bit of strikers instinct and timing. Far too often I see him make a run into the box looking for physical contact, dragging himself to the marker rather than the opposite. It is on a rare occasion bruce looks to make runs away from his marker, putting his defender off balance or pulling into space.

I like the guy but I think there are some fundamental tactical issues in regards to his skill set that are holding us back.
Valid point there. I don't for a second think Bruce is a perfect striker, but IMO there is obviously a little from both column A and B as to why he's not scoring of late.
Time to Djbate!
Scott
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Osama Malik

Postby Scott Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:02 pm

Bruce had three clear chances against Brisbane and did not score. One of them should have resulted in a goal if Goodwin did not miss, but still he needs to do better if we are going to do better.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:05 pm

This kid is young and trying to make it as a journalist. Full credit there but he's trying to be Val v2.0.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:00 pm

Ok. Bruce is not a good striker. I would be ok with him if he was second fiddle to a striker but he is our main man. 7 games no goals. The service is there, but every run he makes is straight forward, slow and never a change in direction or pace. When he gets a sight on goal he tries to break the sound barrier with his left foot. The only striker more impotent is montano for newcastle. 7 games no goals
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Ok. Bruce is not a good striker. I would be ok with him if he was second fiddle to a striker but he is our main man. 7 games no goals. The service is there, but every run he makes is straight forward, slow and never a change in direction or pace. When he gets a sight on goal he tries to break the sound barrier with his left foot. The only striker more impotent is montano for newcastle. 7 games no goals
Montano scored on the weekend? :?

I disagree the service is there for him. How often does he receive the ball in the area with time to shoot?
But I do feel Bruce is part of the reason but there are other things going on out of his control he is basically being blamed for. Take Carrusca for example. As our main attacking midfielder he should be providing a large portion of the assists for the club and yet has given AU 3 this season.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”