New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedRebel
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby RedRebel Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:20 am

'Multipurpose sports arena' :chuck: give me an intimate neighborhood ground any day of the week
Agree.
Strongly agree.
Hindmarsh is perfect for us and perfect that it still has room for improvement.

It needs to fall back into our hands.

In the not too distant future Adelaide will support 2 x hal teams. The new mob can play out of some new table tennis/monster truck facility in the ciy.

We can get our brilliant pitch back then too.

Game has to come back together and regain Hindmarsh imo.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:24 pm

The chances of another stadium being built in the precious green parklabds is super remote, particularly when it iver flows onto the adelaide golf course, it has way to many prominent and powerful members for that to happen IMO.

If however its the start of a wider discussion to develope the southern side of the torrens potentially down to Bonython park which would link up well with manton st / coopers then im all for it.

A 20k coopers is all we will ever need.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:36 am

Having established this thread many moons ago, I'll stick my neck out here - I think that a new, rectangular, multi purpose stadium in the CBD is exactly what we need. If it can cater for football/soccer, rugby of both flavours, concerts and even AFLX, then not only is it a more attractive financial proposition for the State's Treasurer, Rob Lucas, but it has a multiplier effect in the CBD; ie. the restaurant, cafe and nightclub owners in the city start pushing for it as well. If we have to sell Hindmarsh - gulp! - for housing in order to make the sums work, then is that such a bad thing? Inner city housing is in very high demand, which means that any developer would pay big money for the site and we would gain a brand new and larger stadium in the CBD.

It's worth noting at this point that the Power's attendances doubled when they moved from the old hateful Football Park to Adelaide Oval - even though Footy Park was barely 10 minutes from their clubrooms at Alberton. So are we really so wedded to the idea of staying at Hindmarsh that we would knock back the opportunity of doubling our attendances? For a club that averaged below 10,000 fans per home game last season, we are nowhere near large enough to have the luxury of keeping Hindmarsh for sentimental reasons. Even if we estimated that our home crowds would grow by 50% (vice 100%) by moving to the CBD, that is something that we the supporters and the new owners of the AUFC must grab with both hands.

There is a further point - if we ever want to host World Cup games in South Australia, then FIFA specify a minimum size of 35,000 seats in order for a city to qualify for matches. On that criterion, not even Melbourne's AAMI Park would qualify, which would mean that our possible new CBD stadium would be ahead of AAMI, the McDonald Jones stadium in Newcastle and whatever Perth is calling its stadium this week in the allocation of the prime groups and matches. I know, gaining a World Cup is probably a long way away, but these are the sorts of considerations that we must ask now and not wonder in 10 years' time why we missed out to the eastern states.

So here is my 'blue sky' wish - a rectangular CBD stadium, set up for football/soccer and rugby, within walking distance of Adelaide Oval, North Tce and Hindley St and seating 35,000. The ideal location for me is the old Police Barracks adjacent to the new hospital, which would keep the North Adelaide nimbies quiet, but the location mooted in the news, which was the southern third of the North Adelaide golf course, is probably a good option too.

So over to you, WATR contributors!
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:01 am

I'm sure I've posted this before but this would be amazing. It would take away the need for Hindmarsh, The Entertainment Centre, The basketball stadium. the would lure big rugby games, massive trade show, dirt bike events, music festivals.

The problem with so many massive entertainment venues is whether they get enough use to be viable. This sort of venue could be used multiple times a week 12 months of the year.

I think building some where around AO would be great although a tough thing to achieve. Personally I think building something like this at the Showgrounds would be perfect. The showgrounds have so many trade events that need lots of space to set up as well as big music festivals. As well as being pretty good for transport connections and basically unlimited parking across Greenhill Rd in the parklands.

This option would also assure the quality of the pitch regardless of how many events are held at the stadium prior to a game.
Time to Djbate!
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:17 am

Incredible! By a strange quirk of fate, I'm currently in Japan with my work and I can guarantee that the Japanese are not afraid of big, complex answers to difficult questions.

I would like to know how many seats are in that arena, but it's an incredible achievement, regardless.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:21 am

Incredible! By a strange quirk of fate, I'm currently in Japan with my work and I can guarantee that the Japanese are not afraid of big, complex answers to difficult questions.

I would like to know how many seats are in that arena, but it's an incredible achievement, regardless.
That stadium holds about 40k. A bit more for football, a bit less for baseball.
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:19 pm

That is true, but they have the economic, technical and logistical efficiency, and labour force, for big complex answers. We .. don't :)

Recent(ish) stadium build costs in Australia:

$160M - Robina (this is your IKEA, baseline stadium design)
$268M - Aami Park
$280M - Suncorp
$300M - new Parramatta (estimated)
$610M - new Adelaide Oval
$1.6B - new Perth stadium (what the actual F)

I'm all about this debate as a means for soccer to jostle for a better position and bigger slice of the pie, but I honestly think an upgraded Hindmarsh would deliver most of the benefits of a new build for a tiny fraction of the cost.
We have it very, very good here. If it ain't broke ...
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:17 pm

That is true, but they have the economic, technical and logistical efficiency, and labour force, for big complex answers. We .. don't :)

Recent(ish) stadium build costs in Australia:

$160M - Robina (this is your IKEA, baseline stadium design)
$268M - Aami Park
$280M - Suncorp
$300M - new Parramatta (estimated)
$610M - new Adelaide Oval
$1.6B - new Perth stadium (what the actual F)

I'm all about this debate as a means for soccer to jostle for a better position and bigger slice of the pie, but I honestly think an upgraded Hindmarsh would deliver most of the benefits of a new build for a tiny fraction of the cost.
We have it very, very good here. If it ain't broke ...
Yeah I agree. Less than 10k extra and decent coverage for the stands at Hindmarsh is perfect really.

But from a financial point of view Hindmarsh is still only used effectively 15 - 20 times a year. AU home games and the occasional large concert. Almost any other event there (NPL) could be held somewhere like Marden.
A versatile stadium like in Sapporo could combine the use of a number of venues.
It would be interesting to see how much the Govt would get if they did sell off Hindmarsh, AEC and the basketball stadium.
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:36 pm

I believe Adelaide United has to work strongly and tirelessly towards owning its own stadium.

In a multi-purpose stadium (in Australia) we would be the "poor relations" with little influence over our "home ground".
With the ridiculously long off season and short league season we would quickly become irrelevant relative to the other tenants.

We need to keep and develop Hindmarsh and make it ours.
And the best way to fill it is to play good football and win games.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:41 am

Hindmarsh doesn’t have the attraction that a cbd stadium has. We have a handful of pubs to go to before and after a game where a riverbank stadium would allow much much more. Fans flock to ADELAIDE oval because you can walk away going to dinner or lunch before and meet others and make a day of it.
Hindmarsh also has no cover, no real replay screen, only two change rooms and no space to grow or build. Need to look to the future. I love Hindmarsh but if my kids are watching a league there in years to come it would be disappointing.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:21 pm

I believe Adelaide United has to work strongly and tirelessly towards owning its own stadium.

In a multi-purpose stadium (in Australia) we would be the "poor relations" with little influence over our "home ground".
With the ridiculously long off season and short league season we would quickly become irrelevant relative to the other tenants.

We need to keep and develop Hindmarsh and make it ours.
And the best way to fill it is to play good football and win games.

B)
I agree.

The only argument to playing in a rectangular stadium in the cbd is it improves the matchday experience gven its proximity to the malls, cafes bars etc.

If the torrens gets reveloped with malls and cafes down to Bonython park it links up the entertainment centre and coopers stadium to the city.

I think this with added improvements to the aec and coopers is a much better and cheaper solution for the state, the government, aufc and patrons.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:42 pm

From the corner of West Terrace and North Terrace, it's 3km to Hindmarsh.
From the same corner it's 3.8 kms to the corner of South Terrace and Hutt St.
Hindmarsh stadium is inner city, it's in a fantastic area and one that will develop and change over time.
I suppose its down to preference, if the club gets its act together and can also fully exploit the capacity of the stadium, I would sooner have a heaving 20k football fans at a football owned Hindmarsh under some of the best sunsets in the world than a closed multi purpose stadium with 30k theatre goers doing the macarena.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:38 pm

A great match day experience for me is when AU plays well and gets the result.

No amount of bars, pubs, restaurants, fireworks, marching bands, dancing bears or fly overs, before or after, would improve my condition after experiencing United getting beaten at home.

I may be old school and from the last century but that is the way I feel about it.

B)

(But I don't live in Adelaide anymore so what do I know... :) )
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:02 am

Obviously a AU owned stadium is far and away the best option for the club. But in the next 20 years is that at all likely?
Maybe the new owners are working on a staggered investment and once the club achieves certain initial goals more finance is provided to them. But I really can't see any HAL club being thrown enough money to build or purchase a stadium in the near future. I'd love to be wrong. Maybe the club and Govt could come to an agreement on a very long term loan with rent paid being able to offset costs.
Personally there is little wrong with Hindmarsh and it would take something pretty amazing to make me personally want AU to leave there but I think taking a step back from just what the club and fans want to what would benefit the City in general something like what has been discussed as far as an indoor stadium with the possibility of a retractable pitch offers the City more benefits than operating Hindmarsh, AEC, the Basketball stadium and potentially a number of things that occur at the showgrounds in one venue has huge benefits. Businesses can begin to centre a business plan around the regular large crowds coming to the area, the venue can offer far more full time employment to operations staff, hospitality staff, facilities/set up staff. If you look at just hospitality staff (speaking from my experience) many of those staff are already spread across at least three of those venues adding to more costs associated with the hiring, firing, training and payroll of those staff. So its significantly more efficient to operate a multi-use venue such as this which would be far more cost effective which in turn would lead to better buying power from the venue so they'd be able to attract better acts to the City which has constantly been an issue for Adelaide, and in theory mean cheaper tickets for people attending.
The venue could also offer things like general memberships so people could have year round access to the venue to see AU games or the 36ers or whatever else is on.

Personally I think the club is probably in a pretty good position of power in this situation. Its not like the Crows and Power at AAMI stadium where the majority of fans wanted to leave. So the club could stand firm and say they are happy where they are and they'd need a good deal to drag them away from Hindmarsh. Personally I think AUs involvement in a new stadium such as this would be pretty make or break. I can't see how it would be viable without AU's fans providing 15k bums on seats 12-15 times a year. So the club could provide a great alternative offer to the Govt that for a fraction of the cost to build a brand new stadium Hindmarsh could be upgraded to something nearing the quality of AAMI Park in Melbourne.
The only issue with AAMI park is the pitch use which is probably the only compromise the club would have to deal with. An upgraded Hindmarsh would require more use to be viable. Best case scenario is that the AEC finds a way to use the stadium more in winter so that has less effect on AU. The obvious answer for that is that the AEC lures NRL games here in an agreement like Hawthorn has with Tasmania or North Melbourne had with Canberra. So for that to happen it's a bit of a chicken or egg situation where Hindmarsh needs more coverage to be an attractive winter venue, but needs more use to justify funding to be provided for more coverage.
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:50 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... da8337f008

"the proposed concert, event, soccer, tennis and basketball arena"

"One option involves selling off the Entertainment Centre for commercial use, potentially a new shopping centre, and using Hindmarsh Stadium for housing."

Gtfo. :bang:
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”