New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

the 2nd james
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby the 2nd james Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:48 pm

, but the outcome was the redeveloped Adelaide Oval, which is now unquestionably the best sports stadium in the country.
it is great now as it is new and shiny but in a few years will be looked back as wrecking one of the top 3 traditional cricket grounds in the world.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:45 pm

, but the outcome was the redeveloped Adelaide Oval, which is now unquestionably the best sports stadium in the country.
it is great now as it is new and shiny but in a few years will be looked back as wrecking one of the top 3 traditional cricket grounds in the world.
I agree. But IMO the benefit it has brought to the city of Adelaide far out weighs the charm of the old Adelaide Oval. I miss it more then most but I'm not one to stand in the way of actual progress.
Time to Djbate!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:46 am

Respectfully disagree. It has single handedly turned the inner city area upside down - all for the better.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:57 am

Respectfully disagree. It has single handedly turned the inner city area upside down - all for the better.
Yup, its not the greatest ground but it was essentially the catalyst for more plans to further redevelop the river bank in the future, I for one hope those plans go through.

Sure we lost a heritage/traditional ground, but it was a step towards the future and letting go of holding on to the past. Its something Adelaide as a city had to finally do.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:34 am

Yup, its not the greatest ground but it was essentially the catalyst for more plans to further redevelop the river bank in the future, I for one hope those plans go through.

Sure we lost a heritage/traditional ground, but it was a step towards the future and letting go of holding on to the past. Its something Adelaide as a city had to finally do.
For me that's why they have to finish the job and get rid of the hill and the old scoreboard, they just look out of place and the stadium looks 3/4 finished.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:55 am

For me that's why they have to finish the job and get rid of the hill and the old scoreboard, they just look out of place and the stadium looks 3/4 finished.
I agree.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:25 pm

The Hill going is a matter of time.
Philby Ramone
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: little red rooster

Postby Philby Ramone Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:43 pm

AO is Great for footy and cricket, but rubbish for soccer IMHO.

I'm not going to the Victory game at AO because I've never had a decent seat at the Oval. Maybe I'm just spoiled because Hindmarsh is just so perfect for watching Association Football. Just add more seats and it will do.
Is it...?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:51 pm

So much of this!!

The city is turning into a place people actually want to go on a weekend.

From hipster mini bars and food vans to shops and restaurants opening up in properties that have been empty for years.

The other manor bonus adelaide oval has is that all public transport leads to the city which is surely a no brainer for the biggest events. Its taken so much stress off the residents of westlakes.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
red wombat
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby red wombat Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:25 pm

So much of this!!

The city is turning into a place people actually want to go on a weekend.

From hipster mini bars and food vans to shops and restaurants opening up in properties that have been empty for years.

The other manor bonus adelaide oval has is that all public transport leads to the city which is surely a no brainer for the biggest events. Its taken so much stress off the residents of westlakes.
Not interested in any of that. I've no interest in going to hipster bars or any of the other 'social' activities - if I'm going to a football match, I want to go to the football match. Going for a wander around the city after the game just seems like foolishness to me (I'm usually to knackered).

Similarly, I'm not interested in suffering public transport and forcing me to use it is not going to attract me to a game. I'm more likely to park a little way out and ride a pushbike to the game but I'm betting the great redevelopment has made that impossible.

I know you're only stating the reasons always given for why AO is so great Shin. I also realise you're young enough to genuinely find them advantages but as someone who just wants to take his family to a football game, AO is a rubbish place. Lousy viewing doesn't help, I'm there to watch the game, not as a social event. I'm not saying I'll never go, but it'll have to be an important or very interesting game.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:13 pm

The point being the economic growth of the city and arrival to the current century has advantages to us all regardless if we care to visit the city or not.

Adelaide really has been in the dark ages forever but things are changing.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
red wombat
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby red wombat Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:23 pm

The point being the economic growth of the city and arrival to the current century has advantages to us all regardless if we care to visit the city or not.

Adelaide really has been in the dark ages forever but things are changing.
You keep believing that.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:57 pm

You can't please everyone. Looking at attendances across the board at Adelaide Oval and the increase in hotel reservations etc that have occurred in the last couple of years it's obvious that it was a good move.

If some don't want to catch a bus or train and walk a miniscule distance to the ground or enjoy the amenities available in the city before or after then that's their problem. There are plenty that do.
Jumbinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hugene

Postby Jumbinho Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:13 pm

I agree, having a vibrant city scene is the absolute worst :P

Oh sweet Adelaide, never change.

Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:31 pm

You can't please everyone. Looking at attendances across the board at Adelaide Oval and the increase in hotel reservations etc that have occurred in the last couple of years it's obvious that it was a good move.

If some don't want to catch a bus or train and walk a miniscule distance to the ground or enjoy the amenities available in the city before or after then that's their problem. There are plenty that do.
Well said.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”