New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby Stuckey Mon May 18, 2015 11:37 am

Fantastic looking stadium.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la ... story.html

I wonder if something similar could be built in Australia for a similar cost?
LA real estate prices are ridiculous aren't they?

It makes me wonder. Coopers is being talked about like an upgrade in the future is likely. Although they are currently working on a changeroom upgrade as well speak.

If a serious upgrade (with additional seating) is planned I wonder if people involved with the club will be able (or willing) to add to the investment and the club can have some sort of part to play in the upgrade, then remain a major stakeholder in the ground in the future.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Tue May 19, 2015 10:31 am

Roughly, thats a $14,000 per seat stadium! Similar range what the Emirates Stadium was built for, on London property prices.

I'm no expert on real estate prices in Australia, more specifically Adelaide real estate prices apart from it being the cheapest out of all the capital cities. I don't even know if construction cost in Australia are higher.

But I do know NEW stadiums can be built much, much cheaper than that and still get a great functioning stadium!

Sunderland's Stadium of Light, taking into account inflation, was built for roughly only $1,500 per seat as was Middlesborough's Riverside Stadium. Leicester's King Power Stadium was built for $3,300 per seat as was Southhampton's St Mary's Stadium.

If we wanted a new stadium, again saying this with a lack of knowledge on a few things, on the face of things we could get a pretty nice stadium for $40m-$70m.

As for a decent uprade, $10m could do.
flavze

Postby flavze Tue May 19, 2015 2:38 pm

interesting to note that Leckie's team Ingolstadt who have been promoted to the Bundesliga play out of a 15,800 seat stadium. It was only built in 2010 and has been big enough to see it's tenants reach the top level in Germany.

I decent reno of Hindmarsh that offers an upgrade of facilities and some cover for the seats is of more importance than any capacity increase.
tbh i think going over 20k would probably have a negative effect on AUFC as i don't think we would get any more than 15k average no matter where it was built.
Geogeo
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carussca
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We hate you because your victorian.

Postby Geogeo Tue May 19, 2015 3:08 pm

I and i know a lot of people that have stayed away for two reasons.

Lack of cover on rainy days.
and
Lack of parking
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue May 19, 2015 4:47 pm

Honestly not so sure about parking issues at hindmarsh, i have never needed to walk more then 10 minutes to the stadium.

Conversly when AFL was played at football park car are squashed almost all the way down bartley terrace and military rd.

The club should look at getting free transport for membership and ticket holders, but then again for only 15k it may not be viable
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Tue May 19, 2015 6:05 pm

interesting to note that Leckie's team Ingolstadt who have been promoted to the Bundesliga play out of a 15,800 seat stadium. It was only built in 2010 and has been big enough to see it's tenants reach the top level in Germany.

I decent reno of Hindmarsh that offers an upgrade of facilities and some cover for the seats is of more importance than any capacity increase.
tbh i think going over 20k would probably have a negative effect on AUFC as i don't think we would get any more than 15k average no matter where it was built.
Another great functioning little stadium, and only $1,800 per seat. I really like the Coface Arena too, although that was a bit more pricey.

Definitely need a roof!
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Tue May 19, 2015 6:26 pm

The capacity would be to attract minor socceroos games as well as the odd union and league game. It's debatable whether that will make it better or worse for AU but certainly there'd be little or no need to ever use Adelaide oval except for a GF or a marquee friendly like this Liverpool game. Hopefully one day we will need an Adelaide Oval size stadium though!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue May 19, 2015 7:30 pm

Another great functioning little stadium, and only $1,800 per seat. I really like the Coface Arena too, although that was a bit more pricey.

Definitely need a roof!
i thought the Stožice Stadium was a peach of a stadium in Slovenia when the soccer's played there ( at least on tv )
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed May 20, 2015 3:47 am

In the somewhat more distant future, we will outgrow Hindmarsh.

Also worth noting that Bournemouth - who have just been promoted to the Premier League - play at Dean Court (or Goldsands Stadium), an 11,700 seated capacity ground. It will not undergo any upgrades for the new season.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed May 20, 2015 9:33 am

In the somewhat more distant future, we will outgrow Hindmarsh.

Also worth noting that Bournemouth - who have just been promoted to the Premier League - play at Dean Court (or Goldsands Stadium), an 11,700 seated capacity ground. It will not undergo any upgrades for the new season.
Although I think that is a different situation. Bournmouth may be relegated the following season and a massive upgrade for one season is a little over the top.
I hope for their sake they are banking the TV money and working on creating a sustainable system to bring players thru.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:08 am

WSW are getting a new 30k seat stadium built by 2019. $300m government funded too.

They filled Paramatta on a regular basis so I guess this is the best evidence we have on how to get a new stadium or stadium upgrade in SA - fill Hindmarsh!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:19 am

WSW are getting a new 30k seat stadium built by 2019. $300m government funded too.

They filled Paramatta on a regular basis so I guess this is the best evidence we have on how to get a new stadium or stadium upgrade in SA - fill Hindmarsh!
Over the summer that is correct evidence.
But Coopers is empty the rest of the year. This is why an upgrade is miles off.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:21 am

They had an average home crowd lower than ours last season, mind you ours was boosted somewhat by the 33,000 at Adelaide Oval.

It is the combination of the membership at WSW and the Eels that makes the rebuilding at Paramatta viable. Coopers needs a second major tenant before such discussions gain any traction. Hence we'd be waiting for either another A-League side or an NRL side, neither of which is looming on the horizon.

For now I'd be happy with some cover over the exposed stands and a personal walkway from my seat to the Joiner's for a half-time pint :beer1:
Geogeo
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carussca
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We hate you because your victorian.

Postby Geogeo Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:14 pm

If we can get a roof over the eastern stand our attendances will be 12k plus every game.

Filling in the corners is the only upgrade we'll see in our life times.

Hopefully my children will see AU play in a 25k seater at some point in their lives.
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:45 pm

the best way to get a new stadium is to bring it in under something like a commonwealth games bid that angle is already being pushed, but i'm against government funding of stadiums to be honest.

We have just had a small upgrade with the new seating, unfortunately it was misguided, turning the ground level seats into terraces and as has already been mentioned getting a roof (sails cheaper maybe?) to keep the noise in would have been the way to go.
Last edited by the 2nd james on Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”