New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedTide
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby RedTide Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:06 pm

Alright ... it's time to start having the stadium debate in Adelaide again. I know that the debate over the AFL's replacement for AAMI Stadium dragged on for over a decade and bored everyone rigid with the various permutations and options that were floated, but the outcome was the redeveloped Adelaide Oval, which is now unquestionably the best sports stadium in the country.

Similarly, it's time to start talking about the next physical stage for our mighty AU. Sooner rather than later, we will have a championship under our belt and more ACL appearances as well. Coopers Stadium is wonderful for the 12,000 - 15,000 sized crowds, because it's intimate and it always feels either full or near full, which does wonders for the atmosphere. There are, however, two problems with Coopers, though, as we well know:

(1) It's too small for the really big games;
(2) It's in Hindmarsh, when we really need a stadium in the city.

Knowing that it takes at least a decade to get a stadium funded and built in South Australia, the time is NOW that we need to have this conversation, before we become a really big club and find that we have outgrown our home. Let's get on the front foot, so that when the State Government finally comes to the football/soccer community and asks "What are your favoured options for a new stadium?", we will have not just ideas sketched on the back of drinks coasters, but firm, coherent well-thought plans that have already been through a thorough project management process.

So - let's ask the question now - what are our favoured options for a new rectangular stadium in South Australia?

I will kick off the discussion by posing a couple of balloons that have already been floated and then leave it up to the WATR community.

(1) A redeveloped Hindmarsh Stadium, likely to seat < 25,000, possibly with a roof, possible cost ~$75m;

(2) Using Adelaide Oval, which seats 51,500, at a likely annual cost to the AUFC of at least $500,000;

(3) A brand new stadium at a redeveloped Memorial Drive, meaning that the tennis courts and the Next Generation gym club are bulldozed for an all new rectangular stadium, seating < 40,000, possibly with a roof, with a likely cost at least $300m;

(4) A brand new stadium at the old Police Barracks on North Tce, immediately adjacent to the new RAH. The likely size is anywhere from 25,000 - 40,000 and the cost will be anywhere from $250m - $350m.

Over to you.

Ps. Was I the only one who laughed out loud when I heard AAMI Park in Melbourne referred to during the Asian Cup as "the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium"?! That would have to be the lamest name for a stadium in world sports history ...
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby shinAUFC Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:30 pm

All we can hope for is have the corners filled in at hindmarsh and some cover, bump capacity to 20k and its more then ample.

It has been talked about by the aec that the eastern stand could be upgraded with an extra tier the same way as the members stand.

There will not be another rectangular stadium built in this city, plus we really dont need it.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:09 pm

If Hindmarsh can just get a roof on the eastern stand then we are sweet.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:44 pm

The Hindmarsh option.

Fill in the corners, get the roof on.
Hindmarsh would be a heaving cauldron of red passion.

20thousand seater should also get Adelaide some Socceroo games.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:48 pm

Would love a new stadium in city but there are issues with that.
1) the 'old police barracks' are still used and being updated.
2) the tennis courts at memorial drive are being upgraded possibly to the tune of $70 million
3) all park lands around the city are not to be touched leaving no area for a new stadium.
We can only hope for an upgrade of hindmarsh which is very restricted due to limited land to build up on. For example the northern side can't have the corners filled and that why the western stand doesn't go all the way.
What is really needed is cover on the stands we have. I know many will not go this weekend as its 40 degrees and no shade.
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:52 pm

The Hindmarsh option.

Fill in the corners, get the roof on.
Hindmarsh would be a heaving cauldron of red passion.

20thousand seater should also get Adelaide some Socceroo games.

B)
20k would be perfect imo. New estern stand and covers should do it. Let's be honest we won't get any big national team games. That's the eastern seaboards entitlement for being on the estern seaboard.
RedRis
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carrusca

Postby RedRis Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:03 am

Option (1): Extra seating (fill in corners) at Hindmarsh wouldn't be a bad option until a new stadium is built at some stage in the future. IMO a roof is a waste of money. A roof over Eastern stand would not provide shade from setting sun in west.
Option (2): Adelaide Oval is too big. Should only be for an occasional block buster game, feel too distant from the game and lacks atmosphere.
Option (3): Even if memorial drive was an option, I think 2 stadiums so close would be too congested, and rectangular would be dwarfed by the Oval. At what about the tennis?
Option (4): Would be great to build new stadium, but I think the park lands between Adelaide High and the new Hospital would be better than the police barracks. I think that is where the FFA suggested a stadium should be built for the Asian Cup.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Late last year I finished an Urban and Regional Planning degree so this topic is my field.

I would side with an upgrade to Hindmarsh. Let's get as much as we can out of the site before we truly need to move on. I think it's realistic that we can get up to or around 30-40 more years out of it - following structural and capacity upgrades of course.

What can we do to upgrade Hindmarsh?

1. Fill in the corners of the northern stand with a westward expansion.
2. Add an extra, corporate and general admission tier to the eastern stand, similar to that of the west.
3. Repeat this for the southern stand.
4. Add a roof.

Problems?

1. Limited footprint within which the stadium can be expanded or upgraded.
2. Irregular shape of land.
3. Close proximity to heritage buildings.
4. At least temporary significant visual impact, especially if trees are removed.

How can it be upgraded?

- With the closure, or at the very least, significant modification of Holden Street north of Susan Street, the stadium can be expanded westwards. This would likely also involve property acquisition. This would possibly involve the demolition of the existing club offices, as well as the old building on the corner of Manton and Holden. Not sure on its heritage status, but it's currently the FFSA HQ. On the positive side, new club offices and more modern facilities can be built for AU and the FFSA, this time being incorporated into the stadium structure.

- A Manton Street upgrade/downgrade will be necessary to at least assist an upgrade to the eastern stand. Narrowing to one traffic lane in each direction, widening of northern footpath. It would be made like Morphett Road south of the airport, and the speed limit reduced to 40 km once the Bowden Urban Village is complete (the idea behind this being that Hindmarsh and its surrounds will be upgraded).

- Incorporating neighbouring heritage buildings into an enlarged east/west stand. I don't think this would be necessary structurally speaking, but with the right treatment to the stadium structure itself (e.g. wood panelling along the outer face of the concrete stands) this could actually look quite good, and be unique.

Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:34 pm

It would not surprise me if manton street gets redeveloped or possibly even closed after the port/south rd upgrade.

Realistically its the only viable land grab that is possible for the stadium. It could see the AEC and Hindmarsh stadium be joined on the same parcel of land.

If not, then a single laned manton street could work also after the port upgrade because manton will more then likely become obsolete, currently it holds way more traffic then it really should during peak times anyway.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:43 pm

It would not surprise me if manton street gets redeveloped or possibly even closed after the port/south rd upgrade.

Realistically its the only viable land grab that is possible for the stadium. It could see the AEC and Hindmarsh stadium be joined on the same parcel of land.

If not, then a single laned manton street could work also after the port upgrade because manton will more then likely become obsolete, currently it holds way more traffic then it really should during peak times anyway.
I agree. A double laned Manton St is totally unnecessary IMO.
If that was to happen I can see a duplication of the Western stand on the East would be possible. This would cater to a number of needs Hindmarsh currently doesn't fill.
1) Larger capacity (obviously)
2) More corporate suites (offering AU much more opportunity to wine and dine potential sponsors)
3) Behind the Eastern stand there is the space as well for a clubhouse facility to encourage fans to come to Hindmarsh early before the start of games and stay back later after games conclude. As well as giving the club somewhere to display trophies etc. and more space to sell merchandise.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:24 am

Late last year I finished an Urban and Regional Planning degree so this topic is my field.

I would side with an upgrade to Hindmarsh. Let's get as much as we can out of the site before we truly need to move on. I think it's realistic that we can get up to or around 30-40 more years out of it - following structural and capacity upgrades of course.

What can we do to upgrade Hindmarsh?

1. Fill in the corners of the northern stand with a westward expansion.
2. Add an extra, corporate and general admission tier to the eastern stand, similar to that of the west.
3. Repeat this for the southern stand.
4. Add a roof.

Problems?

1. Limited footprint within which the stadium can be expanded or upgraded.
2. Irregular shape of land.
3. Close proximity to heritage buildings.
4. At least temporary significant visual impact, especially if trees are removed.

How can it be upgraded?

- With the closure, or at the very least, significant modification of Holden Street north of Susan Street, the stadium can be expanded westwards. This would likely also involve property acquisition. This would possibly involve the demolition of the existing club offices, as well as the old building on the corner of Manton and Holden. Not sure on its heritage status, but it's currently the FFSA HQ. On the positive side, new club offices and more modern facilities can be built for AU and the FFSA, this time being incorporated into the stadium structure.

- A Manton Street upgrade/downgrade will be necessary to at least assist an upgrade to the eastern stand. Narrowing to one traffic lane in each direction, widening of northern footpath. It would be made like Morphett Road south of the airport, and the speed limit reduced to 40 km once the Bowden Urban Village is complete (the idea behind this being that Hindmarsh and its surrounds will be upgraded).

- Incorporating neighbouring heritage buildings into an enlarged east/west stand. I don't think this would be necessary structurally speaking, but with the right treatment to the stadium structure itself (e.g. wood panelling along the outer face of the concrete stands) this could actually look quite good, and be unique.

I think this wouldn't be out of the question.
Knock down the circled buildings.

Slide the pitch south.

Then we's have the room to increase each stand to be a similar size to the Western Stand. I haven't done it but the Southern corners could probably be filled in as well.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:38 am

I feel there is also plenty of space around the city for a purpose build rectangular stadium.

West Parklands near the trainline.

North Parklands I doubt this but it would be well connected for public transport

Using that giant waste of space that is Victoria Park.
Would be useful during Clipsal IMO.

Showgrounds so the stadium would be used for much more than just Football.

One of the best options IMO. Across the road from Mt Thebarton. Right near the train line and tram line. That land is just a park ATM.

Most people would probably be against this but it would be more viable, upgrading Santos.

One of my favourites. The rail yards west of the city are an insanely massive waste of space. This could be the beginning out a project to bury the necessary train lines and build necessary infrastructure on top. This area is obviously very well connected to public transport, and could be part of an improvement to transport to the airport.

In the Torrens! :P
Time to Djbate!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:58 am

ETSA Park is probably the strongest contender of those, Stuckey. There won't be any further building on the Parklands.

A new multi-purpose venue (basketball, netball, tennis and concerts) on War Memorial Drive next to AO has been proposed by the State Government. I would expect it to be a 2018 State Election promise. That said, it could (potentially) spell the eventual death knell of the Entertainment Centre - if so, it opens up the AEC land as a possible future rectangular stadium site.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:11 pm

I feel there is also plenty of space around the city for a purpose build rectangular stadium.

In the Torrens! :P
Hah! That's Singapore if I am not mistaken
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:30 pm

ETSA Park is probably the strongest contender of those, Stuckey. There won't be any further building on the Parklands.

A new multi-purpose venue (basketball, netball, tennis and concerts) on War Memorial Drive next to AO has been proposed by the State Government. I would expect it to be a 2018 State Election promise. That said, it could (potentially) spell the eventual death knell of the Entertainment Centre - if so, it opens up the AEC land as a possible future rectangular stadium site.
That would make a lot of sense. Memorial Drive and Adelaide Arena are both very dated. Combining the two would save a lot of money in the long run and building it near Adelaide Oval would make getting their easier than where Adelaide Arena currently is.
Only problem with the theory that a rectangular stadium could be built where the Entertainment centre is, is that the site isn't much bigger than what Hindmarsh is on now.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”