New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedTide
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby RedTide Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:48 pm

How many times have we been around this buoy? Hindmarsh is a wonderful stadium, but it's now too small and it's in the wrong location. The mooted Adelaide Arena, over the railyards, would immediately become the best soccer stadium in the country if/when it was ever built, but it won't happen unless we bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games and also that the Federal Government was willing to chip in the bulk of the cash, which is by no means assured. Moreover, on the current indication, the SA Government will not bid for the Games in the first place, so that leaves us with no CBD soccer stadium and Hindmarsh exactly as it is; too small to host World Cup matches (either men's or women's), no changing rooms for women, a stadium too far from the CBD and a footprint too small for a major expansion.

It's enough to drive a true supporter to watching AFL .....
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
ozisnowman

Postby ozisnowman Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Well liberal will get my vote then, football policies of the parties are what gets my vote
Football & Recreational Fishing Policies of the parties are what gets my vote - so its liberal too
ozisnowman

Postby ozisnowman Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:33 pm

They should as a minimum buy out a few properties around the area and close Holden Street and a realignment of Manton Street

Having a look at the image of the stadium it is clear that a few additions in a staged order would make a big difference.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8783399@N04/14687496653

1) Close Holden Street and lengthen the western stand the full length of the pitch
2) Realign Manton Street and lengthen the eastern stand the full length of the pitch
3) Fill in the corners
4) Raise eastern stand to match the western stand
5) Put roofs on northern and southern stands to match western and new eastern stands

Slowly you could build capacity up to a reasonable size. Hey if the Adelaide Entertainment Centre closes once a Basketball/Tennis Stadium gets built in CBD then could use Entertainment Centre Site/Parking for parking.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:44 pm

Imagine a stadium like the Emirates built at the railyards; alongside the Torrens and just across the water from Adelaide Oval ...
https://footballtripper.com/england/arsenal-stadium/

It would need to be a proper rectangle, of course, but what a stadium it would be ...
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:20 pm

I just can't see how you can justify it with only commitment from AU.

You need the ARL and NRL to commit to 3-4 games each year for many years, or you need something amazing like the domes in Japan that host football and baseball (which would be concerts and basketball in this instance)

I'd love a Parra type stadium over the railyards but just can't see it being viable.

Maybe if it incorporated retail, apartments and hotel?
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:49 pm

Retail, at art enter and a hotel? Don’t you know those rail yards are part of the beautiful parklands and can’t be touched? We’re not the AFL you know!
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:00 am

I just can't see how you can justify it with only commitment from AU.

You need the ARL and NRL to commit to 3-4 games each year for many years, or you need something amazing like the domes in Japan that host football and baseball (which would be concerts and basketball in this instance)

I'd love a Parra type stadium over the railyards but just can't see it being viable.

Maybe if it incorporated retail, apartments and hotel?
Yup its a nice dream but frankly no elected politician is going to build a new stadium just for us and our 4k members lets be realistic.

Lets be honest this thread will still be here in 5 years and the conversation wont change.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:32 am

I’m pretty sure we have to get used to the cold exposed Hindmarsh stadium. Government give their sporting money to afl to buy up parklands and the clubs new owners have already shutdown any talk of modifications to Hindmarsh I’m sure? It’s a shame because at least some cover over the stands would be a huge improvement for the rain/summer sun.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:00 pm

I’m pretty sure we have to get used to the cold exposed Hindmarsh stadium. Government give their sporting money to afl to buy up parklands and the clubs new owners have already shutdown any talk of modifications to Hindmarsh I’m sure? It’s a shame because at least some cover over the stands would be a huge improvement for the rain/summer sun.
Yeah I agree. Even shade cloth over the stands would be an improvement. Surely that's not too hard? Every playground in the metro area has it.
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:55 am

Our little ground is still the envy of every other football fan in Australia.
We will never get something like the new Wanderers ground (which they are sharing with a rugby league side), at best we'd get some soulless multisport stadium with cruddy turf and which still wouldn't meet the needs of most supporters.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Re: RE: Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby ChillyPhilly Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:18 pm

We will never get something like the new Wanderers ground (which they are sharing with a rugby league side), at best we'd get some soulless multisport stadium with cruddy turf and which still wouldn't meet the needs of most supporters.
I fear for the last part there. Gravely.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:47 pm

I think Hindmarsh needs work, anyone who doesn't believe so has their head in the sand.

The issue with that is there's no room to do it. I'd love to pick it up and move it somewhere where that work can be carried out.

We don't want to lose what we have though, I agree.
otto62

Postby otto62 Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:41 am

Not quite 15,000 for a Cup Final is worrying to me. Why didn’t we completely sell out? Surely it’s not too much to expect the complete 16,500. Or have they set a lower cap on the crowd now?
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:24 pm

Not quite 15,000 for a Cup Final is worrying to me. Why didn’t we completely sell out? Surely it’s not too much to expect the complete 16,500. Or have they set a lower cap on the crowd now?
I believe the crowd max was reduced last year. Having said that the only spots free were in the away bay and ga sold out with standing room tickets put on sale so western stand and away bays only available spots.
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Yes, I too wondered about the official attendance. I had bought my tickets well in advance, but had friends from Melbourne wanting tickets at the last minute. When I checked the Ticketek website on Wednesday afternoon, the two away bays were sold out. So then I checked to find any available seats. What I saw was that there were about 40 seats available all on the western grandstand side. Most of them were at the back of the top tier and several single seats interspersed on the lower levels. So that points to the attendance figure being over 16K. I can't believe that the crowd was less than 15,000 when you consider they were also selling "Standing Room Only" and " Restricted View" category tickets and the fact that there was only some empty seats in the second "Away Bay." Did fans buy tickets and not roll up? Does the official attendance figure reflect that the figure is based on the fact that they only count people going through the turnstiles? Do the seats occupied by the "Invited Guests" not counted? Or has the capacity of Coopers Stadium been reduced to a figure less than 16, 500? This is not the first time that I have been surprised by the official attendance at Coopers Stadium. To put things in context, I have attended every game at Coopers Stadium since the first Adelaide United game and have become used to accurately predicting the official attendance. The FFA Cup crowd just didn't seem to be accurate to me.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”