New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:14 am

well yeah, IF a soccer-specific CBD stadium could be built that ticked all the boxes then a move could be appropriate, but I would really want to be clear that we're gaining more than we're giving up
Yeah that's my position as well. I believe a rectangular based stadium close to North Tce or AO would be of huge benefit to the city in general but I believe AU is in a fantastic position of power with this. IMO they would make or break it being worthwhile. Hindmarsh isn't far off being almost perfect for the club and I'd say 10%-20% of the cost of a new stadium would make it that way.
I think the following things are all the is required to make Hindmarsh world class again.
- Capcity boosted to 22k - 27k
- Coverage for majority of seating
- Doubling corporate facilities
- Extra changing rooms
- Improving transport from metro centres
- *Optional* retractable seating at Southern end to build a stage for large scale concerts to protect pitch.

IMO much of the could be done by simply mirroring the Western stand on the East.

A new stadium in town IMO would require the following to out do Hindmarsh
- 30k+ capacity
- Complete seating coverage
- More than double corporate facilities than Hindmarsh
- Be located centrally so no transport infrastructure is required
- Retractable pitch
Time to Djbate!
ChillyPhilly
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:33 am

I fully reject the idea of being lumped together with some nutty retractable surface stadium.

Adelaide United FC is not a gimmick or pawn, nor are we merely just another summer event for the AEC. We are not some overnight corporate entertainment.

AUFC is a fifteen year old club. We have identity, culture and a strong core membership base with around 7k diehard fans who'll never miss a beat.

Throwing us in with basketball, ice hockey and whatever else is a mistake and some seriously poor planning.
Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:56 am

I fully reject the idea of being lumped together with some nutty retractable surface stadium.

Adelaide United FC is not a gimmick or pawn, nor are we merely just another summer event for the AEC. We are not some overnight corporate entertainment.

AUFC is a fifteen year old club. We have identity, culture and a strong core membership base with around 7k diehard fans who'll never miss a beat.

Throwing us in with basketball, ice hockey and whatever else is a mistake and some seriously poor planning.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Yes!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:54 pm

The applause for you would echo all the louder at a completed Hindmarsh.
Did you guys know that the block where Hindmarsh sits was known as Lindsay Circus back either when it was an oval or perhaps prior when it was open public space.
Perhaps just some giant big top/shade sail contraption is all that's needed once capacity is fully exploited. I know it bakes in the Summer but it's still so brilliant seeing those open skies and sunsets from Hindmarsh wigh a great game going on below.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:07 pm

Small town thinking .... maybe we should refloat HMS Buffalo too, because sailing ships were a perfectly good way to get around, right?
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:16 am

Is there enough footprint to upgrade the East stand at Hindmarsh? I think it may have been discussed before.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Is there enough footprint to upgrade the East stand at Hindmarsh? I think it may have been discussed before.
The angle of Holden st in reference to the sideline is fairly similar on the Manton St side.
The amount of space would roughly be the same if they decided to replicate the Western Stand on the East. Although I'd hope a new Eastern Stand would be better than the Western Stand which is very basic. More corporate facilities, function space, retail outlets and maybe a trophy room/museum would be great.
Beyond that I hate how little stadiums are used outside event days. Hindmarsh is a great placed stadium to look at building things to attract people everyday of the week. Cafes and restaurants that faced on to Manton St would be fantastic. It's Coopers Stadium how about a micro brewery?! Those things would enhance the match day experience while drawing locals out of their homes and other people to the area.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:09 pm

I don't see AU as a pawn in this scenario. In fact they are the opposite, their involvement for a stadium like this to get off the ground is vital I feel. 12-18 event days that (in a new stadium) would attract 15k-25k is massive for a new stadium of the size being discussed. AU hold the position of power and also possess a far cheaper alternative to reach their crowd figure aspirations. I think if AU were to buy in to moving away from Hindmarsh to a new stadium it would very much need to be in their favour and the new stadium provider would need to offer some excellent carrots to get them over the line.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:12 pm

Small town thinking .... maybe we should refloat HMS Buffalo too, because sailing ships were a perfectly good way to get around, right?
Small town thinking ?

Surely aiming to stay at a quality venue purpose built for the needs of the average aleague club ( albeit with a few upgrades ) while keeping our history and identity is actually ambitious and admirable?

Imagine if they told all london clubs they must play their home games at the same stadium as anything else is just purely backwards thought.

Im not against a new stadium, but hindmarsh shoukd not be taken for granted we are VERY lucky to have it. With the corners filled in it could easily be viewed as one of the most impressive stadiums in football based on viewing experience and ability to create atmosphere giving the close proximity to the pitch.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:16 pm

If anything , a 20k hindmarsh stadium with extra trams and shuttle buses linking it to the city is a much better allocation of public funds than a new stadium that will probably never be full.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Small town thinking ?

Surely aiming to stay at a quality venue purpose built for the needs of the average aleague club ( albeit with a few upgrades ) while keeping our history and identity is actually ambitious and admirable?

Imagine if they told all london clubs they must play their home games at the same stadium as anything else is just purely backwards thought.

Im not against a new stadium, but hindmarsh shoukd not be taken for granted we are VERY lucky to have it. With the corners filled in it could easily be viewed as one of the most impressive stadiums in football based on viewing experience and ability to create atmosphere giving the close proximity to the pitch.
Those London clubs generally can afford to build their own stadiums so they lucky enough to only need to think of themselves.
AU is at the other end of the scale I feel. If the opportunity came up to secure 10k-15k more seats where they'd be securing significantly more income it's probably not something they couldn't afford to turn down.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:43 pm

But stuckey how did you come to the assumption AUFC would secure significantly more income?

As it stands AUFC would be the only summer tenant and most likely the ONLY regular tenant. How does this suddenly become more viable and profitable for the club? Do we really think a few extra K fans would offset the cost of hiring a bigger stadium?

All potential benefits for the state and club can be achieved much cheaper at hindmarsh stadium with a few upgrades while not taking away from the adelaide Oval investment

Either way i cant see a new stadium going ahead, IMO it would be political suicide to build another new stadium next to ao for either political party.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Those London clubs have moved from their small neighbourhood grounds to bigger stadiums.

And let's say AU could bump the average crowd up from 10k to 15k. That's 5k tickets at say an average $20 = an extra $100k per home game = $1.3 million. Maybe we could actually bid for some Fox money and sign a better marquee?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Those London clubs have moved from their small neighbourhood grounds to bigger stadiums.

And let's say AU could bump the average crowd up from 10k to 15k. That's 5k tickets at say an average $20 = an extra $100k per home game = $1.3 million. Maybe we could actually bid for some Fox money and sign a better marquee?
Your making the assumption anything over a 10k gate would be 100% profit...... in a much larger stadium, paying more catering staff, higher rent and potentially being forced to pay for extra trains and buses.

Im not saying it will not be viable but i cannot understand how some can speak in absolutes without even having an idea what basic rent and break even numbers are.

Common sense suggests to ne break even numbers would be around 20k as a starting point.

A new stadium could bury aufc as nuch as it could help it florish.

The devil is ALWAYS in the details.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:11 pm

Exactly. So just have to get the details right.
Presumably the club would have done a cost benefit analysis of an expected increase in income from a cbd stadium, how much extra they'd need to be able to keep to make it worthwhile to move, and therefore how much they'd be prepared to pay in rent.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”