New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Reds4Life
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby Reds4Life Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:28 pm

I would love for us to upgrade Hindmarsh and stay there for the long term, but the logistics of that appear difficult.

Bignell is one of the biggest flogs in a very long line of them in the state govt, he would have little idea of who AUFC are.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:44 pm

More complaints from Griffin, feels as though this is all coming to a head. I can see us playing out of Norwood oval or some other unfit for purpose arena before it is resolved.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/foo ... 2245d9fe24
I reckon this is nothing more than posturing for management rights of the stadium.
IMO the club knows the cost coupled with the risk of losing a huge portion of fans is not worth moving away.
Time to Djbate!
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:12 pm

Bignell is probably too busy swilling wine in a corporate box somewhere or on an overseas junket. The very definition of a self-serving wanker politician.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:40 am

mawson@parliament.sa.gov.au

Dear Mr Bignell,

I write today to urge you to open the dialog with Mr Griffin and the South Australian public on a new purpose built, rectangular stadium in Adelaide’s CBD.

Association Football has more participants than any other sport in our state and like all other mainland states deserves a dedicated stadium we can showcase to millions in Asia and beyond.

Failure to engage in constructive conversation around this matter will cause myself and many others at my football club to consider more carefully our votes at the next election.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:28 am

Bignell might be being an prick but for the most part he's right.

Why the fark would the Government build a soccer stadium when we already have a dedicated soccer stadium that is close to the CBD with excellent transport links, widely regarded as appropriate for the A-League, and which AUFC are not likely to outgrow any time soon?
Honestly? Because we think that Adelaide will get better crowds to a new stadium? If there was to be a 25k seater built in the CBD, what size crowds would we need to get on a regular basis to make that a sensible investment?

There are big problems within the league at the moment and no government is going to throw money at domestic soccer clubs right now.

Griffin is also right to press for a better deal, and it is my hope that one day Adelaide United will be in the position to actually take control of Hindmarsh in some way.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Why the fark would the Government build a soccer stadium when we already have a dedicated soccer stadium that is close to the CBD with excellent transport links, widely regarded as appropriate for the A-League, and which AUFC are not likely to outgrow any time soon?
Honestly? Because we think that Adelaide will get better crowds to a new stadium? If there was to be a 25k seater built in the CBD, what size crowds would we need to get on a regular basis to make that a sensible investment?

There are big problems within the league at the moment and no government is going to throw money at domestic soccer clubs right now.

Griffin is also right to press for a better deal, and it is my hope that one day Adelaide United will be in the position to actually take control of Hindmarsh in some way.
I agree.

Although the government could support football a little more and ween the afl off but lets face it the afl brings a substantial amount of business into local economy for 24 weeks of the year plus finals.

I cant fault what the government and adelaide city council have done in the cbd tbh. Without the investment in AFL almost leasable space would be empty like the old days and would be an absolute embarrassment trying to co-oerse the chinese tourist $ here and show them peanuts.

Like it or not it makes sense
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 pm

Actually ill go one step further, if the state government decide to invest in Football as it currently sits then they are simply gambling away financial resources! ( not investing it)we may not even have a governing body in the coming days.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 pm

That's it.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 am

I'd just like to see an adult converstion about it rather than "nah dem p@@fs cant even fill hindmarsh, bloody w@gs always complaining"

What would a new stadium cost?
Would the city benefit from having summer sport? And how many people would attend?
Would the NRL commit games? What about concerts? What about Socceroos and Matildas?

And likewise...
What would it cost to touch up Hindmarsh? What does it need, increased capacity? A roof? Clubrooms? More access options?

Who pays for all this? Will the FFA stump up any? Could a new stadium incorporate a hotel, shopping (westfields) etc?

Just a bloody conversation rather than the low-level of discourse we are currently exposed to.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Yeah im with you on the level of discourse.

Thats not really specific to football though, every public issue is derailed by ignorance, deception and pushing personal agendas until the public discussion is turned upside down and totally derailed.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:50 pm

I'd just like to see an adult converstion about it rather than "nah dem p@@fs cant even fill hindmarsh, bloody w@gs always complaining"

What would a new stadium cost?
Would the city benefit from having summer sport? And how many people would attend?
Would the NRL commit games? What about concerts? What about Socceroos and Matildas?

And likewise...
What would it cost to touch up Hindmarsh? What does it need, increased capacity? A roof? Clubrooms? More access options?

Who pays for all this? Will the FFA stump up any? Could a new stadium incorporate a hotel, shopping (westfields) etc?

Just a bloody conversation rather than the low-level of discourse we are currently exposed to.

Surely you are not referring to the discourse in this thread. :D

Following up on what you have written an "Impact study" on both suggestions would be a great project for a group of Architectural students.

I would still prefer to see the club stay at Hindmarsh and develop the stadium there further.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:11 am

The replay screen has had a small upgrade.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:44 pm

The story that surfaced during the week about a potential new, multi purpose sports arena in the Adelaide Oval precinct has made it to the front page of today's Tiser. It must be more than just a mid-week space filler.
Time for the new owners to put their hand up and say "count us in" ?
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:32 pm

'Multipurpose sports arena' :chuck: give me an intimate neighborhood ground any day of the week
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:41 am

'Multipurpose sports arena' :chuck: give me an intimate neighborhood ground any day of the week

Agree 100%.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”