New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedsUnited
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby RedsUnited Sun May 08, 2016 12:10 pm

Has anyone got a current seating tier profile of Hindmarsh? I'd like to play around with it with slope angles etc.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun May 08, 2016 12:13 pm

Has anyone got a current seating tier profile of Hindmarsh? I'd like to play around with it with slope angles etc.
Could you use a Sketchup model?
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Sun May 08, 2016 12:16 pm

I think Hindmarsh to 25k is quite easily possible with some careful thinking:
- Mirror the western stand with the east, only with more modern corporate suites and access infrastructure.
- Fill in the corners (actually the most challenging part herein).
- Add an extra tier, and more corporate suites, to the north and south. The heritage-listed church building could potentially be incorporated into the structure of an expanded southern stand.
- Add a roof to seal the deal.
And all could be done in stages I presume without us having to play in another stadium?

How much would all this roughly cost? Upwards of $50m?
Last edited by Futbol_Crazy21 on Sun May 08, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Sun May 08, 2016 12:39 pm

Could you use a Sketchup model?
I've never tried before but I'm sure I could try. :D
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun May 08, 2016 3:02 pm

Makes a huge amount of sense to do it. Adelaide Oval is already a 7 day a week operation. It really wouldn't be a huge issue to take on a new stadium next door like that.
I love Hindmarsh. It will always hold a special place in my heart. But a stadium similar to AAMI will mean AU won't have to play games at Adelaide Oval almost at all. I strongly believe that crowds would increase if AU played in a bigger stadium.
The only real issue with a rectangular stadium in Adelaide still is, what use will it get in the HAL off-season?
Time to Djbate!
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Sun May 08, 2016 3:26 pm

- Mirror the western stand with the east, only with more modern corporate suites and access infrastructure.
- Add an extra tier, and more corporate suites, to the north and south. The heritage-listed church building could potentially be incorporated into the structure of an expanded southern stand.
And all could be done in stages I presume without us having to play in another stadium?

Apparently Bignell would love to upgrade coopers stadium to 22.5k which has been estimated at $65 mil. However they have declared there is No money to do so so can't happen.
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Sun May 08, 2016 3:37 pm

Apparently Bignell would love to upgrade coopers stadium to 22.5k which has been estimated at $65 mil. However they have declared there is No money to do so so can't happen.
Does their plan include making the seats out of gold?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun May 08, 2016 3:59 pm

My take of this is that its just the advertiser creating a bit of an ongoing story they can write about in the offseason.

Until we actually have quotes from the important people who move the cogs in this state it is barely even a story.

The only comments ive read from anyone with a media presence were only responding to questions like " do you think the future of football in the state needs a bigger stadium " of course they are going to say yes.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun May 08, 2016 4:03 pm

Does their plan include making the seats out of gold?
$5 mil in construction. $60 mil to fly the planning team first class to every other country to see how they do it, 5 star hotels, wine and dine foreign sports ministers.

Im all for a version of aami park in the city, maybe we can dress it up with some rusty metal that someone high up in adelaide city planning seems to be overly fond of.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sun May 08, 2016 4:46 pm

If all they want to do is upgrade to 22.5k I don't see the value. 25k bare minimum but to make it really useful for other events (socceroos, other rectangular sports) it needs to be minimum 30k IMO.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun May 08, 2016 6:35 pm

I am all for decentralizing and spreading the tax payers money around.

Increasing the capacity of Hindmarsh would also lead to upgrading the infrastructure and facilities in the area around the stadium.

Win-win.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sun May 08, 2016 7:36 pm

Adelaide United will have a forward line of Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi and Ibrahamovic before a new stadium is built.
I am Scott
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Tue May 10, 2016 4:26 pm

It seems to assume Adelaide Oval number 2 is not needed.
You would be correct as the plan if we bid for Commonwealth Games is to turn it into a completely unnecessary athletics track.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Tue May 10, 2016 5:54 pm

You would be correct as the plan if we bid for Commonwealth Games is to turn it into a completely unnecessary athletics track.
I know they used to use it for cricket matches which could still happen inside an athletics track, but not in a rectangular stadium. Upgrade Hindmarsh Stadium.
I am Scott
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue May 10, 2016 9:08 pm

I know they used to use it for cricket matches which could still happen inside an athletics track, but not in a rectangular stadium. Upgrade Hindmarsh Stadium.
I feel Adelaide are hoping to follow the Melbourne model and having all their stadia in one area to make plans for further public transport development more viable as it will be utilised with AFL, Cricket and HAL attracting fans to the area 12 months a year.
I think upgrading Hindmarsh is a cheaper option short term. But long term there will then be need for public transport to Hindmarsh to improve. Which will cost more in either development or maintenance costs, that would be extra to the infrastructure already in place near Adelaide Oval, which obviously isn't perfect but it's able to cope with 50-100k people. Whether that be the end of the game or peak rush-hour.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”