New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby sevengoals Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:32 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... da8337f008

"the proposed concert, event, soccer, tennis and basketball arena"

"One option involves selling off the Entertainment Centre for commercial use, potentially a new shopping centre, and using Hindmarsh Stadium for housing."

Gtfo. :bang:

Fark NO!!!

:bang:
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
ZANZIBAR
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:59 am

So tue stadium would have to run the pitch east west. Would it have a roof? All stadiums run north south to avoid teams playing into the sun. Imagine izzo trying to save a free kick with the sun smashing into his eyes. I dont mind the ide of sharing a stadium as beggers cant be choosers but i would want to know much more. Capacity? Cost for aufc? Priority tenants as they mention basketball and football who share timings?
Philbyramone
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Postby Philbyramone Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:56 pm

A great match day experience for me is when AU plays well and gets the result.

No amount of bars, pubs, restaurants, fireworks, marching bands, dancing bears or fly overs, before or after, would improve my condition after experiencing United getting beaten at home.

I may be old school and from the last century but that is the way I feel about it.

B)

(But I don't live in Adelaide anymore so what do I know... :) )
Yep. I go to watch the match then go home. That’s all I want, and as I look at the people streaming in with 30 minutes till kickoff and streaming out straight after the match I reckon I’m in the majority.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:15 pm

No amount of bars, pubs, restaurants, fireworks, marching bands, dancing bears or fly overs, before or after, would improve my condition after experiencing United getting beaten at home.

I may be old school and from the last century but that is the way I feel about it.

B)

Yep. I go to watch the match then go home. That’s all I want, and as I look at the people streaming in with 30 minutes till kickoff and streaming out straight after the match I reckon I’m in the majority.

That because there are no options to stick around. I believe the crowd numbers show this. We have much larger crowds the games we play at the horrible viewing ADELAIDE oval. Why? Because it’s in the city. I believe if we want to grow and stop declining numbers then a city stadium is a must.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:43 pm

B)

If the majority just want a good view and for the stadium to not be too hard to get to and from then what could be wrong with moving if those two things are provided at the new stadium?
Then people outside the majority can also be catered for. Personally I love going out for a beer after the game, I'm lucky as my house is walking distance to Hindmarsh and there are pubs on the way home to do so. If a stadium is based in town then many more people are offered that chance as they walk to their transport home.
Time to Djbate!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:19 pm

It's a no-brainer that we'd be better off with a cbd stadium. Bigger crowds means more possibilities for better marquees. Bigger stadium means better chance of international matches (not at Adelaide Oval where the views are poor by comparison).
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:28 pm

It's a no-brainer that we'd be better off with a cbd stadium. Bigger crowds means more possibilities for better marquees. Bigger stadium means better chance of international matches (not at Adelaide Oval where the views are poor by comparison).
Tearing down the best small football stadium in the country for housing, and building a new multipurpose arena that United would share with basketball, tennis, concerts, and whatever else, is not a 'no brainer' as far as I'm concerned, it's something that needs real deliberation in terms of what it would mean for Adelaide United.
We'd undoubtedly be paying more in venue hire, we'd be overrided whenever a big event came to town, and on top of that we'd lose all the intangible stuff around our history (& SA soccer history in general) at Hindmarsh.
Would an increase in crowds (a) be guaranteed, and (b) be big enough to warrant the move? Would it actually result in the club being more sustainable and able to recruit better? (you'd have to balance against increased venue costs) ..
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Tearing down the best small football stadium in the country for housing, and building a new multipurpose arena that United would share with basketball, tennis, concerts, and whatever else, is not a 'no brainer' as far as I'm concerned, it's something that needs real deliberation in terms of what it would mean for Adelaide United.
We'd undoubtedly be paying more in venue hire, we'd be overrided whenever a big event came to town, and on top of that we'd lose all the intangible stuff around our history (& SA soccer history in general) at Hindmarsh.
Would an increase in crowds (a) be guaranteed, and (b) be big enough to warrant the move? Would it actually result in the club being more sustainable and able to recruit better? (you'd have to balance against increased venue costs) ..
Totally agree!

Im not against a new rectangular stadium in the city, we could play big selling matches there, but aufc is hindmarsh. I think most long time fans would agree.

We need to stop worrying about the casual sports fan who may go to a game a season and start catering to football fans first. There are more than enough of us to fill aufcs memberships.

Also, totally agree about people wanting a match day experience ( although football is enough for me ) . That ca easily be fixed with regular shuttle buses from north tce to hindmarsh ir closing off manton and allowing pop up bars and food trucks to park , although that would be a council issue.

Ive watched football in 3 continents, hindmarsh by far gives the best view from my experience.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:00 pm

I think it's time to recognise that Hindmarsh has almost reached its capacity of usefulness. Look at Port Power - they doubled their attendances by abandoning AAMI Stadium (along with the Crows of course) and moving to Adelaide Oval. If they had not done so, they would have been folded by the AFL and the licence handed to Tasmania.

We are in no danger of that, of course, but the point still stands. We either grow, or we wither into a permanent mid-table club that will cede its current status as a 'powerhouse' club of the league, which none of us would want.

I love Hindmarsh Stadium; when it's fully packed and the team scores, it's the best feeling in the world. That does not mean that we can afford to stand still though. Look at our current memberships status; we are currently seventh in total memberships, having only just managed to move up from eighth last week. We used to be the fifth best supported club, but even Newcastle, which has a population barely a 1/3rd of greater Adelaide, has 2,000 more members.

The writing is on the wall. Quite apart from the increased atmosphere and convenience of moving into the CBD, we must either grow or become accustomed to being one of the permanent mid-table clubs and that for me would be an acceptance of mediocrity. I, for one, am not prepared to accept mid-table mediocrity. It's time for the State Government, the AUFC and all of us supporters to start planning for joint football/basketball/tennis/other tenancy of a CBD stadium with a minimum capacity of 20,000, which would be re-configurable for other sports and/or concerts.

I've said elsewhere that FIFA requires a minimum seating capacity of 35,000 for World Cup events, but that looks like a bridge too far in the current climate. The need for a 20,000 seater shared CBD stadium, though, is overwhelming. We just need to do it. It will be sad to see Hindmarsh knocked down (along with the entertainment Centre, which noone would miss), because it means so much to us, but again, we either grow or we wither away.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:52 pm

I dont think our crowd / membership numbers have sweet fa to do with hindmarsh.

Our previous ownership burnt many long time fans. That is the big reason our crowds are so low.

Westlakes is a whole different situation to hindmarsh. Trams buses and trains are all accesable to hindmarsh from the cbd within 5 minutes. Where as westlakes was an absolute trap getting in and out
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:06 pm

Agree and a couple of other people have their say.

( What timing, as the debate develops the club release their final preseason video of... Hindmarsh.)

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:52 pm

"If only they'd fill the corners in."
"Any game has to be played here .... not at Adelaide Oval."

Hmmm. Sounds like boutique a CBD stadium with the corners closed in and a roof over the stands would suit them fine (please, please, give me a roof) .

"You're so close to the pitch."

Now that's the one thing we'd have to be careful of. The stadium would have to be built so the fans are still super close to the pitch. Another metre wider on each side and longer on each end would be ok, but I wouldn't want it any bigger.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:36 am

well yeah, IF a soccer-specific CBD stadium could be built that ticked all the boxes then a move could be appropriate, but I would really want to be clear that we're gaining more than we're giving up
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:14 am

Another stadium is a complete dream - and not a good one. I'm with Old G. Hindmarsh works brilliantly and is home. Parking is ok and the roadworks will end......one day.

When we fill the stadium for every game and are turning fans away then we might have an argument. Seriously, people in the larger capital cities spend way longer getting to games because they want to go. Hindmarsh is so easily accessible that only an Adelaide crowd could possibly complain.

What we need now is stable ownership who continue to do what this mob are doing - rebuilding trust and passion. And we need a couple of decent seasons. We don't have to win everything. Football is not about winning. As a fan it's about belonging.

And how bloody good is it to see Mabil scoring for the 'Roos at last. Refugee kid from the Northern suburbs of Adelaide! Makes you think this country might just be a bit better than we give it credit for.
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:44 pm

You know what would be great for Hindmarsh? A second pair of change rooms for the W-League team and visitors.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”