New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby Stuckey Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:39 pm

What an interesting debate! FWIW even though I'm a traditionalist and love Hindmarsh, I think a new stadium in the CBD, as long as it's done right - right size, good deal for the club etc, is the way to go.
I've attended several games at Melbourne's AAMI Park, A-League and Asian Cup, and I'm sorry, but it has a better atmosphere than Coopers. Just due to the acoustics alone. Better atmosphere = better fan experience = increased attendances = more success on the pitch and off it in financial terms. It's the only way we will keep up with the big knobs in the eastern states. I just can't see how developing Hindmarsh would be feasible when taking into account the amount of use it gets and where it is situated.
I've been watching my football at Hindmarsh since 1983, my boys grew up watching AU there and I have countless memories of the place. But we have to move with the times.
I can feel a poll coming on... now that just sounds wrong! :wink:
Mate couldn't agree with this more. So many happy memories at Hindmarsh. But as you say look at a place like AAMI I agree it's better than Hindmarsh. I feel like something like Sapporo Dome would be even better again!
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:26 am

Mate couldn't agree with this more. So many happy memories at Hindmarsh. But as you say look at a place like AAMI I agree it's better than Hindmarsh. I feel like something like Sapporo Dome would be even better again!
Nothing is better than Hindmarsh :P
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:28 am

Nothing is better than Hindmarsh :P
Happy to stay at Hindmarsh if every game is as good as last night!!
Time to Djbate!
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:37 am

Yeah, the atmosphere was great but spectator comfort really isn't up to scratch. In a modern appropriately designed stadium with all the ammenities we'd still get that atmosphere and with much fewer gripes from punters.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:55 am

Yeah, the atmosphere was great but spectator comfort really isn't up to scratch. In a modern appropriately designed stadium with all the ammenities we'd still get that atmosphere and with much fewer gripes from punters.
What gripes?
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:02 pm

almost everything you read from people that come from interstate is how brilliant Hindmarsh is and how they wish they had a stadium just like it.
Agree it could do with an upgrade to food & bar outlets etc, but sometimes I think we just have no idea how good we have it here.
mcjules

Postby mcjules Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:05 pm

What gripes?
Just a few off the top of my head:
1. Long lines to go to the toilet, food and drinks.
2. People in the northern part of the eastern stand could barely see any of the play at the Vidmar end during the first half due to the sun setting. In day games it's hot as hell
3. Public transport options. There were no additional services for the tram last night and it was chaos.

Some may say "first world problems" but when you have young kids or frail these sorts of things do make a difference.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:13 pm

What gripes?
Just a few off the top of my head:
1. Long lines to go to the toilet, food and drinks.
2. People in the northern part of the eastern stand could barely see any of the play at the Vidmar end during the first half due to the sun setting. In day games it's hot as hell
3. Public transport options. There were no additional services for the tram last night and it was chaos.

Some may say "first world problems" but when you have young kids or frail these sorts of things do make a difference.
Oh yeah. I thought you meant something specific to last night, although the tram issue was.
The shade coverage issue for me seems to be such a simple solution. Surely something like what they put up for the Adelaide 500 race would easy and relatively cheap.

I feel the lines for food and drink isn't unique to Hindmarsh with Football only having one break in play you go anywhere and there will be lines for everything at half time. Although I really feel they've sped up the pace of serving. I was very impressed with how fast the line for beers moved last night compared to years gone by.

I agree the thought of taking my young one is something I'm still toying with. She goes to bed at 7pm so afternoon games are the only option but chances are a 4:30pm game will be stinking hot and we'll be in the sun almost the entire game.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:46 pm

I dont think there is a public transport issue at all tbh

Trams will drop you off at aec but will be crowded.

150, 155,157 buses will drop u off at aec 15 minute wait max

115, 117, 118 buses will drop you off at the gate.

110, 112 will drop you off at south road.

Given all these buses operate on grenfell/ curry you can simply take the first bus that comes with no linger than a few minutes wait.

Alternatively if your waiting for a tram and they are busy the 287 288 and 286 operate in north terrace and you can get off on george street and walk over the torrens footbridge

There is also the train option getting off at brompton station.

Ok the bus/ train options cost money but its ONLY $3.50 for a full fare.

Its a total myth that hindmarsh is hard to get to via public transport

A few shuttle buses from port rd to the train station for large games would be handy though as a selling point ( 2 articulated buses would cater to 180 people every 15 minutes )
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
mcjules

Postby mcjules Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:13 pm

I didn't say it was hard to get to with PT, it was hard to get out because the services in place were in adequate.

Re: drink service, yeah it's sped up for sure but it's far better at a modern designed stadium like AO due to the sheer number of them available and how they're designed.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:37 pm

I didn't say it was hard to get to with PT, it was hard to get out because the services in place were in adequate.

Re: drink service, yeah it's sped up for sure but it's far better at a modern designed stadium like AO due to the sheer number of them available and how they're designed.
Yeah i can see how 14k fans leaving at once would overload the trams , they are by no means efficient transport movers.

Would love to see the club hire a couple of coaches pre and post match, i think it could make life that much easier for the average fan and would encourage more to come.

Maybe some kind of sponsorship/ mutual agreement with a bus company is in order?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:42 pm

True, I wonder how much could be solved just with more temporary facilities (of the type of the merch van, courtyard bar etc ). I didn't go to the bar at half time just because I assumed it would be madness, has the 'fan village' absorbed any of the crowds?
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:47 pm

Love coopers but its a pain when packed. Last night the police stopped pedestrians leaving the stadium from walking in the road when half was closed off to cars. Caused chaos trying to walk out with 14k other people only using footpath. They were pretty rude about it too yelling at fans and using the horses to scare people off the road while a cameraman was running around trying to find conflict. Thought it wasn’t well organized as one point you can walk on road then all of a sudden you can’t.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:20 pm

Features from this article need to be considered in this debate and why there's still life in Hindmarsh Stadium yet.

https://indaily.com.au/news/sponsored-c ... n-village/
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Features from this article need to be considered in this debate and why there's still life in Hindmarsh Stadium yet.

https://indaily.com.au/news/sponsored-c ... n-village/

Hindmarsh for ever!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”