New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby blahblah Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:00 am

Problem is, if they decide to go ahead, selling off Hindmarsh to fund proceedings, and we don't like the new arrangement.....where do we go?
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:21 am

But stuckey how did you come to the assumption AUFC would secure significantly more income?

As it stands AUFC would be the only summer tenant and most likely the ONLY regular tenant. How does this suddenly become more viable and profitable for the club? Do we really think a few extra K fans would offset the cost of hiring a bigger stadium?

All potential benefits for the state and club can be achieved much cheaper at hindmarsh stadium with a few upgrades while not taking away from the adelaide Oval investment

Either way i cant see a new stadium going ahead, IMO it would be political suicide to build another new stadium next to ao for either political party.
The significant income would be IF there is an increase of crowds. I believe a more centrally located stadium with partial or complete seating coverage and a bigger capacity would provide the club better crowds. As you say that doesn't assure AU more income and that's true but at this early stage we don't know it won't increase income. As said AU is in a position of power here and would be crazy to leave Hindmarsh if the deal to bring them to the new stadium isn't miles better than the arrangement they have at Hindmarsh. AU wouldn't be the only regular summer tenant if the retractable pitch is built as originally mentioned, basketball would also be played over Summer as the NBL season runs from Oct to Feb so that would be 9 games plus finals and exhibition games. The 36ers average about 6k per game but with the B-Ball stadium only holding 8k I think it's reasonable to presume like AU their crowds would increase with a move to a new central stadium.
The main issue with the argument that Hindmarsh can be upgraded for far cheaper is, that an upgrade to Hindmarsh only serves one party AU. Where as a new stadium serves AU, 36ers and anything held at the ageing AEC, with the potential of a host of other events finding the better facilities more of a lure. If Hindmarsh can secure a decent winter tenant then I think the scales tip further towards Hindmarsh being the superior option for public money to be spent on a stadium. I have no idea how many events are needed but a great start would be looking to secure a NRL side to play there multiple times per season. If Hindmarsh can be upgraded to about 25k then more events like Socceroos, Wallabies and higher profile exhibition matches like AU v Villarreal would be worth targeting as well over the HAL off season. Another plus would be as we're talking a few years from now hopefully the HAL finally has more teams and the HAL season is longer as well so AU become even more of an attractive tenant.
I'm personally on the fence on what I'd like to see. I think a new stadium with a retractable pitch would be an amazing asset for the City as long as it's used properly. But as an AU fan I view that as a luxury item the club isn't in desperate need of.
Time to Djbate!
ChillyPhilly
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:01 pm

I fully reject the idea of being lumped together with some nutty retractable surface stadium.

Adelaide United FC is not a gimmick or pawn, nor are we merely just another summer event for the AEC. We are not some overnight corporate entertainment.

AUFC is a fifteen year old club. We have identity, culture and a strong core membership base with around 7k diehard fans who'll never miss a beat.

Throwing us in with basketball, ice hockey and whatever else is a mistake and some seriously poor planning.
Small town thinking .... maybe we should refloat HMS Buffalo too, because sailing ships were a perfectly good way to get around, right?
How is it small town thinking?
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Reality is, to grow as a club we would ideally need to upgrade Hindmarsh. The AEC dont do us any favours, but it's our home. A roof on each stand and filling in the corners would do wonders for the place.

I'm a huge fan of another inner city stadium, but the upgrades to Hindmarsh would be far cheaper and provide similar economic benefits.
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Reality is, to grow as a club we would ideally need to upgrade Hindmarsh. The AEC dont do us any favours, but it's our home. A roof on each stand and filling in the corners would do wonders for the place.

I'm a huge fan of another inner city stadium, but the upgrades to Hindmarsh would be far cheaper and provide similar economic benefits.
You forget this is never going to happen as the corners on the southern end can’t be filled without buying more land and taking the road. Something the aec/government won’t do.

Then there is the issue of only two change rooms so there can never be curtain raisers within an hour of the game

There is a huge lack of corporate facilities which brings in $$$$ and cant be increased without a re build of the western stand.

The need for another replay screen

The moving of flood lights should a roof be put on the eastern stand as lighting quality would drop or need to put lighting on the new roof.

This is all $$$ the aec will not fork out and have gone on the record about with the change rooms.

Hindmarsh has an expiry date and it’s already here.
ChillyPhilly

Postby ChillyPhilly Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:17 pm

Plans DO exist for an upgrade to 22k capacity. I'd love to see these. Maybe I could file a FoI request on behalf of WATR?
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:29 pm

Plans DO exist for an upgrade to 22k capacity. I'd love to see these. Maybe I could file a FoI request on behalf of WATR?
Interesting idea for sure.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:14 pm

I beleive an idea was also floated to re-design the eastern stand to cater for an extra tier plus corporate area, while also filling the southern corners matching the northern end ( only 10 rows high )

The drawback was that it may restrict width of manton street. Which is a little redundant now as a 4 lane road all with the torrens to torrens finished.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:57 pm

I fully reject the idea of being lumped together with some nutty retractable surface stadium.

Adelaide United FC is not a gimmick or pawn, nor are we merely just another summer event for the AEC. We are not some overnight corporate entertainment.

AUFC is a fifteen year old club. We have identity, culture and a strong core membership base with around 7k diehard fans who'll never miss a beat.

Throwing us in with basketball, ice hockey and whatever else is a mistake and some seriously poor planning.
Small town thinking .... maybe we should refloat HMS Buffalo too, because sailing ships were a perfectly good way to get around, right?
How is it small town thinking?
... because this is what happens in our fair city. Someone has a cracking good idea and then the nimbies, naysayers and nincompoops come out of the woodwork to whinge and carp. Remember the Adelaide Oval reconstruction? It cost us half a billion dollars but it's now the best large stadium in the country - but making it happen came down to a handful of votes by SACA members who had the final say. As it was, it only just got over the line; if it had not, then we'd still be stuck with the quaintest, but least useful and most frustrating, stadium in the country.

Sooner or later we need a politician with the guts to say "just do it" and stand back and let people get on with the job. A new stadium will substantially grow our member base, it will massively expand the AUFC's exposure in Asia and it will give us a sporting chance of growing basketball, tennis and indoor concerts. Again I ask - do we want to be a mid-table club, which will never really achieve anything, or do we want to be one of the powerhouse clubs of the A-League, as we were in the early days? If you want us to stay at Hindmarsh, even an expanded and improved Hindmarsh, then you are condemning us to 30 - 40 years of mediocrity and turning us into another Wellington or Central Toast.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
ChillyPhilly

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:51 pm

I have a background in town planning, and it's not really a good idea to be honest. It's not small-town thinking at all.

The Adelaide Oval redevelopment saw something like an 80% yes vote. Never in doubt. Everyone bar the Adelaide Crows were pro-move. Adelaide Oval restored a lot of confidence and pride to the city and state; now the SMA drives it into the ground by continually raising food and drink prices, pricing out the common fan from participating.

The best place for any new inner city stadium is still to the immediate west of Adelaide Oval. The infrastructure and access already exists. Anything west of Montefiore Road (i.e. the golf course) is a no-go.

With a well thought-out project and upgrade of the surrounding area, Hindmarsh can have another 30 years of life. But I give it no more than that for demographic reasons.
Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flavze

Postby flavze Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:29 pm

The best place for any new inner city stadium is still to the immediate west of Adelaide Oval. The infrastructure and access already exists. Anything west of Montefiore Road (i.e. the golf course) is a no-go.
Personally i reckon Park 25 in the corner of west terrace and port road would be the perfect spot.

On the tram line and not far from the north or south train lines as well as plenty of road access in all directions. It could be built with a substantial carpark underneath that could be used to service the hospital during the non match time hours and bring in revenue to the building all year round.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:41 pm

Personally i reckon Park 25 in the corner of west terrace and port road would be the perfect spot.

On the tram line and not far from the north or south train lines as well as plenty of road access in all directions. It could be built with a substantial carpark underneath that could be used to service the hospital during the non match time hours and bring in revenue to the building all year round.
Good luck touching the parklands , although i agree its a fantastic spot.

With the recent obahn tunnel some protested the removal of a couple of trees during the dig and were all replaced with new trees.

We love to be outraged in this state.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby EdDog Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:24 pm

Problem is, if they decide to go ahead, selling off Hindmarsh to fund proceedings, and we don't like the new arrangement.....where do we go?
My concerns too.

Although still generally in favour of a CBD stadium.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:42 am

Good luck touching the parklands , although i agree its a fantastic spot.

With the recent obahn tunnel some protested the removal of a couple of trees during the dig and were all replaced with new trees.

We love to be outraged in this state.
That's one massive problem with the media these days. Less than 10 nut jobs kick up a stink about something the vast majority agree with and they get equal air time. You could fit all the people that had an issue with the Obahn tunnel on one bus. Probably over 100 buses use that tunnel everyday.

I read a good quote about the media the other day "If one person says it's sunny, another person says it's raining. It's not the media's job to report what both people said if they can just look out the window themselves."

Sorry back on topic.

Adelaide has loads of places close to the city that would be good for a stadium site.
It just depends on how much investment is available to be placed into it and what other projects could be grouped into this one.
- The area behind the new hospital West of Montefiore Rd would be fantastic. If the train tracks could be built over this would be a wonderful use of wasted land just like Fed Square in Melbourne. With frontage on to the Torrens bars and cafes could be built into it as well and with the increased use of that area with the RAH and growing uni site this could be an area that gets used 7 days a week.
- Santos Stadium is very well located and it would be cheap to capitalise on existing transport infrastructure to build a proper stadium there.
- Showgrounds, massive options for parking, area is used to coping with large crowds there on regular basis.
- Park 25 I really have no idea why they built what they built there. The only thing that park seems to do it provide a relatively safe place for people to do drugs. Literally anything built there would be better than what is currently there.
- Police barracks site, something that could easily be moved elsewhere, close to transport easy walk into town.
- Netball stadium, it would basically just be upgrading an existing facility then. Massive area if the train line is able to be built over or dropped down.
Time to Djbate!
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:57 pm

What an interesting debate! FWIW even though I'm a traditionalist and love Hindmarsh, I think a new stadium in the CBD, as long as it's done right - right size, good deal for the club etc, is the way to go.
I've attended several games at Melbourne's AAMI Park, A-League and Asian Cup, and I'm sorry, but it has a better atmosphere than Coopers. Just due to the acoustics alone. Better atmosphere = better fan experience = increased attendances = more success on the pitch and off it in financial terms. It's the only way we will keep up with the big knobs in the eastern states. I just can't see how developing Hindmarsh would be feasible when taking into account the amount of use it gets and where it is situated.
I've been watching my football at Hindmarsh since 1983, my boys grew up watching AU there and I have countless memories of the place. But we have to move with the times.
I can feel a poll coming on... now that just sounds wrong! :wink:

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”