Melbourne Victory v Adelaide United matchday jamboree©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Re: Melbourne Victory v Adelaide United matchday jamboree©

Postby mcjules Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Here's something that has crossed my mind a couple of times since Friday. Were these changes Josep made to the starting line up:
1. a bit of mind games by not showing all our cards so early in the season,
2. just played a variation of their tactics we haven't seen much of yet because of how MV line up, or
3. something else entirely

Personally I haven't fully made my mind up but giving Awer a start was a bit of a gamble that wasn't tactical from what I can see. It paid off though.

Playing Marrone and Elrich as wing backs was clearly because they're better defensive players than Goodwin and MV have good wingers who often get in 1v1s.

Cirio in the midfield was the main one I'm not sure on, perhaps because MV play with to DMs he thought he could afford to have another more attacking midfield over Jeggo?

So if that was the case then I think maybe mostly option 2 with a bit of option 1. Interested what others' observations might be :)
tinby
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Toure

Postby tinby Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:25 pm

Mabil is oh so frustrating. So many attacks break down because he just drills the ball into the box without looking, usually there are 2 defenders that gladly accept the ball and the attack is finished.

Shit night, 2 own goals, 1 disallowed and Malik injured, what can you do? This is football..
Awer seems to struggle to play aerial balls into the box. Always low balls to the near post. Our players should know this and position themselves accordingly.
He is still a work in progress but has so much potential.
I watched Flecha closely in the warm up and he was clearly upset about being on the bench. Body language was horrible and he was clearly disinterested. With our depth, especially in the attacking half, all players will have to accept time on the bench and make sure when they get their chance they grab it. A good team is made up of everyone accepting their role and playing their part no matter what that is.
I agree, Flecha didn't look very happy at all. I wouldn't be too surprised if we lose him at end of season. Would be a real pity seeing as how his crosses & shots have led to goals, last year against Victree was good and those two against Sydney were awesome as well.
Can't understand why Flecha is not starting. IMO Mabil's dream of playing for Man. Utd is just that - a dream. He'll have to improve a few hundred times before he even gets close.
I hope his trial with Ajax & Anderlecht go well. He's just turned 19, and he really should have it all together by now.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:04 pm

Flacha has already mentioned in interviews he has received offers from europe and asia for his services next year.

We wont have him , we were only ever going to be a stepping stone . Goodluck to him
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Geogeo
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carussca
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We hate you because your victorian.

Postby Geogeo Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:22 pm

We were rattled by a large hostile crowd early on.

But to be honest, we had two sitters that we should have burried.

(mabil early on and another one in the 93rd min)

If we scored those two sitters it could have been 4-3, but then you take a away the two poor own goals.. its 4-1.

this game could have been very different.
Outcast350
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: La Flecha

Postby Outcast350 Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:35 am

I wondered if flecha would have been bought on if Ozzie wasn't injured? Probably wasn't a bad thing considering MV play with brass knuckles, and his poor run with injury this season.

In saying that, if flecha started and mabil came on at 60-65 Min it may have been a different outcome? It's so interesting to see how the whole team lifts when awer comes on, I don't know if it's just at coopers (because the crowd get behind him) or not though.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:00 am

Don't know if it's been posted already but Kossie's column was spot on (can't remember if it was in the Saturday or Sunday paper).
Basically, he was talking about the setup as a gamble which failed for a couple of reasons - notably lack of defensive nous in midfield (due to Chelo & Cirio partnering up) and Marrone getting slayed on the right side of defense - but the key factor is not that Adelaide played badly per se but that we just couldn't deal mentally with the relentlessness of Melbourne's press (so, business as usual for Adelaide then) :( .

Unfortunately the Malik injury forced Gombau's hand a bit, I'm certain that Ferreira would have played a part otherwise.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
mcjules

Postby mcjules Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:27 am

I'm interested in seeing some of the analysis from one of the more indepth tactical sites like Leopold Method or Australia Scout.

There's no doubt we went to pieces in a couple of moments and we got punished but I'm not sure the gamble was an abject failure. I don't remember Milligan and Valeri having standout games on the ball due to the lack of defensive pressure for example.

Fozz on Extra Time made a good point regarding Gombau not feeling too concerned about the result considering all the things that went against us this time. I'll try and get a copy of the footage later.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:45 am

I'm interested in seeing some of the analysis from one of the more indepth tactical sites like Leopold Method or Australia Scout.

There's no doubt we went to pieces in a couple of moments and we got punished but I'm not sure the gamble was an abject failure. I don't remember Milligan and Valeri having standout games on the ball due to the lack of defensive pressure for example.

Fozz on Extra Time made a good point regarding Gombau not feeling too concerned about the result considering all the things that went against us this time. I'll try and get a copy of the footage later.
Yeah im with you on this.

We lead every stat apart from the one that mattered, so one could easily argue gombau was correct with his changes , own goals and missing opportunities to score is not something the manager can control.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
mcjules

Postby mcjules Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Reading back I sound like a fan boy and that no one can do any wrong in my eyes :) That's certainly not the case, I'm disappointed the team didn't do better and of all teams to lose to, this one is the one I can deal with the least!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Don't know if it's been posted already but Kossie's column was spot on (can't remember if it was in the Saturday or Sunday paper).
Basically, he was talking about the setup as a gamble which failed for a couple of reasons - notably lack of defensive nous in midfield (due to Chelo & Cirio partnering up) and Marrone getting slayed on the right side of defense - but the key factor is not that Adelaide played badly per se but that we just couldn't deal mentally with the relentlessness of Melbourne's press (so, business as usual for Adelaide then) :( .

Unfortunately the Malik injury forced Gombau's hand a bit, I'm certain that Ferreira would have played a part otherwise.
Yes I read this too. Sunday's paper. Kossie actually sounded intelligent.
mcjules

Postby mcjules Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:36 pm

Whole thing is worth a watch but I've set it to start at the relevant bit
[youtube]0jx-_Ux6Lmo?start=293[/youtube]
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:07 pm

Does it seem like the AU v MV rivalry from the Victory supporters' perspective is diminishing?

Only 22k to their 10th anniversary game against us on a Friday night.

I think the "Big Blue" and the Melbourne Derby are a lot more important to their fan base than the Reds now.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:20 pm

After the game is before the
game.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:05 pm

It was a moral victory to us - the Failure were playing their usual version of Thai kickboxing, they should have had at least one player sent off (Princess Leijer - who else?) and possibly two, and we gifted them two goals. Take away the two own goals and allow either Mabil's sitter at 8 mins or Sanchez's sitter at 93 mins and suddenly its 4 -1 our way and everyone is talking about Adelaide's chances of lifting silverware.

It's always disappointing to lose, especially against the most hated and spiteful team in the competition, but it's not the end of the world. The Failure has peaked too early and we still have at least 20% improvement to come. Chins up lads - it's time to belt the Western Wallys next weekend!
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Don't forget Goodwin's free kick RedTide - should have been 5-1!!! :D

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”