#valsaid

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Ghost
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Re: #valsaid

Postby Ghost Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:02 pm

For all the failings this season Amor has done something special with Riley McGree. He brought him straight back into the starting side after he recovered from injury which was a surprise. It is the kind of move though that is only made with an 18 year old that is hugely rated. It must have given McGree great confidence and we have seen him go from strength to strength. If we now see him in the Socceroos squad then it would be amazing. When was the last time an 18 year old made a full Socceroo's squad?
I am Scott
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: #valsaid

Postby bpowell454 Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:21 pm

For all the failings this season Amor has done something special with Riley McGree. He brought him straight back into the starting side after he recovered from injury which was a surprise. It is the kind of move though that is only made with an 18 year old that is hugely rated. It must have given McGree great confidence and we have seen him go from strength to strength. If we now see him in the Socceroos squad then it would be amazing. When was the last time an 18 year old made a full Socceroo's squad?
I googled this to find out if he would be the youngest ever.

Tommy Oar was the youngest capped at around 18 years and 3 months in March 2010.

Riley McGree (if selected and played) would be around 18 y and 5 m.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:31 pm

Gersbach made a Socceroos squad at 18, but did not debut until 19.
I am Scott
Interloper

Re: RE: Re: #valsaid

Postby Interloper Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Tommy Oar was the youngest capped at around 18 years and 3 months in March 2010.

Harry Kewell was the youngest to play for Australia while he was 17
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: #valsaid

Postby bpowell454 Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:24 pm

Harry Kewell was the youngest to play for Australia while he was 17
Just re googled to find out what I stuffed up, Tommy oar was the youngest to be capped in a world cup squad according to Sydney morning herald, who sometimes get Melbourne victory and Melbourne city mixed up.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:12 am

Val tweeted today that according to good sources, Riley McGree will be announced in the socceroos 30 man squad tomorrow.

Amazing for him if true, but selfishly I hope Isaias is back before the games. Otherwise we might have to rely on our senior HAL experienced midfield players like Makarounas...
I'd be surprised unless he is a part of the train-on squad for experience. Sometimes it is handy to have a key position local player or two in the expanded squad in case there is a last minute injury however we do have a plethora of midfielders at the moment. Even players doing well in Europe like Amini can't get a look in.

The kid is good, really good, however you'd expect that there would be a few people ahead of him in the pecking order at this stage in his career.
spaceCowboy

Postby spaceCowboy Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:09 am

McGree in the 30 man squad.
Massive for him. Congratz!
We are UNITED, after all....
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Apparently the advertiser's match report for tonight's game was more about the crowd and had that "Baba scored a double" rather than one each to Diawara and Ochieng.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:02 pm

Apparently the advertiser's match report for tonight's game was more about the crowd and had that "Baba scored a double" rather than one each to Diawara and Ochieng.
Subconscious racism, yet another string to Val's bow.
:D

I hear the crowd was 3.5k the first half sounded like an NPL game TBH. I think the some focus on the declining crowd numbers is newsworthy.
Time to Djbate!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:43 pm

Yet the second half sounded like a crowd of 10k. Go figure.

Val:
Fans unfurling a huge banner in the eastern stand before kick-off which read “Where’s our magic, Marcelo?“ which obviously points to Carrusca missing from the Champions League squad is a sure sign of discontent on many fronts.
Did this banner even happen?
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:22 am

Yet the second half sounded like a crowd of 10k. Go figure.

Val:
Fans unfurling a huge banner in the eastern stand before kick-off which read “Where’s our magic, Marcelo?“ which obviously points to Carrusca missing from the Champions League squad is a sure sign of discontent on many fronts.
Did this banner even happen?

Who are they asking Marcelo or "the selectors"?

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
milan_7
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: McGree

Postby milan_7 Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:32 am

Banner was spread across seats, likely made by one person (wasn't very professionally done in all due respect) was probably about 5 seats horizontally and two seats vertically so far from huge. I really think there a lot more pressing issues to be putting banners up about than the lack of Chelo in the squad, I for one agree with the decision.
Hank Moody
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Hank Moody Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:18 am

About the banner - was right near me. It was done by two young girls.
It said - 'Where is our Magic Marcelo?'

Was quite humorous listening to the conversation between this girl and a bloke near her about this banner.
Some of the pearlers nearly had me falling out of my seat. My favourite was the bloke saying Carrusca is still 'a top 5 player in the league'. Carrusca is not even a top 10 player at our club anymore ffs.

She was going on about not getting any response from Griffin, Gui etc about Carrusca's omission. How hard is it to understand? ACL allows 3 international players, Carrusca has been beyond crap this season and he was one of the two to miss out. Even going on about last season as well - Carrusca was not one of our better players last season either.

Just a stupid sign.
View From The Top
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Postby View From The Top Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:31 am

It really bugs me that Val uses the word "axed" in relation to Carrusca and the ACL, when in fact he should say "not selected". They are not the same thing. Also if Carrusca had been selected and Cirio (for arguments sake) left out, Val would be writing article after article about Cirio and how hard done by he is.

Man's a total knob. Can't even get his facts right, can't tell the difference between Baba and Ochieng - I mean, really?

By the way Val, if you're reading this, Jeju's game plan was rocked to its core by Adelaide's smash and grab counters.
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:15 am

I agree the crowd warrants some reporting but it's not the main story about the game IMO. Considering the football we've been playing, everything that's on at the moment in Adelaide, and the fact that members have to purchase tickets, is it any surprise the crowd was that small?

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”