United training reports.

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Irish
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Twist and Shout

United training reports.

Postby Irish Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:19 pm

Thought I'd start a topic which we can all post in regards to sessions we've attended to watch the lads. Gives a bit of insight to those wondering how we're going to play etc.

Friday Aug 2nd 2013. 10am @ SASI

Cassio restricted to light training (stretching, walking), Chiro still in Spain.

Warm up:

Laps, static stretching, explosive movements. (Without ball, low intensity - suggesting the session's main aim is structural as opposed to conditioning.)

Passing exercise in pairs (5-8 yards, on toes, no forward/backward movements, pass with recieving foot at HIGH velocity).
Receiving touches were sloppy, many players were obviously unused to reviving a pass belted at full velocity; as expected when the idea of a "correctly weighted pass" has been stamped into players since they were 3. For those unaware; top academies teach players that all passes should be hit as hard as possible to avoid interception in tight spaces - regardless of the intended distance - it's up to the receiving player to take a good first touch to. This is a pretty new idea in Australia.

Passing exercise: quick counter.
I don't want to go into great detail as to the structure of the exercise but the movement, positioning, tempo and lack of "defenders (passive or otherwise) suggested it was designed as a quick counter without a true transition from BP-BPO, see Brussia Dortmund in attack for an example.

The CB plays a direct ball to the False9 who drops deep into midfield and plays the 6 with his first touch. The 9 turns and makes a run, the 10 drops to receive the 6's pass and plays the 8 with his 1st touch if possible. The 6 continues his run towards the box, the 10 peals off. The 8 plays the 7 or 11 depending on which foot he received the pass and continues his run. The 7/11 hits a cross or a diagonal ball to the 6/8/9/11 or 7 who finishes. Similar variation with the 11/7 making a direct run and the full back overlapping to receive the 8's pass.

Possession/Creative small sided game. 4v4+4 on the outside (or there abouts). 1/4 size pitch, 2 full size goals, lots of laughing and a few back heels and smart moves from Gombau. Moves like a bus, not a bad touch, creative bloke, spent more time on his arse than anything.

Few notes:
Jeronimo will make a fantastic False9, and Bruce looked the goods a a traditional 9 - never given the credit he deserves because he doesn't score enough.

To say Awar Mabil is exciting is an understatement. I had my doubts he could adapt to this system but I seem to have underestimated his touch and awareness. Many of the runs he made reminded me I the way Leckie would muscle his way into the far side off the box unannounced.

Jon Mckain can pass the ball to feet and keep it on the deck - I hope he doesn't forget it again.

Elrich spent most of his time playing the 7 spot in the passing exercise, I'd still suspect him to be our 1st choice rb though as the 2 and 7 positions are pretty much identical roles.
EdDog

Re: United training reports.

Postby EdDog Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:06 pm

All sounds good to me.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:19 pm

Sounds great.

I bet opposition scouts would also be interested in what's going on at AU.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Training with intelligence. I like it. Good post.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Irish
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Twist and Shout

Postby Irish Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:35 am

Sounds great.

Anyone who knows a thing or two about football already know exactly how United intend to play.

United have to be so good at it that it's almost untouchable - eg Brisbane 2011
burst
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: JERONIMOOOO

Postby burst Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:59 pm

Great insight. Any idea how this compares to kossie? Haha
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:48 pm

Sounds great.

Anyone who knows a thing or two about football already know exactly how United intend to play.

United have to be so good at it that it's almost untouchable - eg Brisbane 2011
This is what it's all about. The team that won the premiership last year were just well organised defensively and capitalised on mistakes (which is why we got thumped twice by them).

One things for sure, if we win any silverware playing this style we will have earned it!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:56 am

In The Pitch, Gombau was saying that getting the players to play the ball on the ground is the easy part. Getting the tactics that he wants to play however, could take up to a year until its completely fluid.
burst
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: JERONIMOOOO

Postby burst Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Do you think if rini was given more time, his philosophy would have worked?

How does rini compare to gombau in style? I'm a soccer noob, so sorry if it is a dumb question.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:13 pm

Do you think if rini was given more time, his philosophy would have worked?

How does rini compare to gombau in style? I'm a soccer noob, so sorry if it is a dumb question.
The trouble with the whole Rini regime was that things had deteriorated to such a degree that we were just plain awful. Most of that was due to his pitiful man-management style but it made it irrelevant whether his system would have worked out in the end or not, he had to coin a phrase “lost the dressing room”.

As long as we are at least competitive whilst we are all patiently waiting for Josep’s grand plans to bear fruit then he should be ok. But if we start losing 0-3 at home to the bottom team when they are down to 10 men he’s gonna be out on his ear.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:47 pm

I think rini was capable but his man management was not the best multiply that with a board that did not have a clue what they were doing and were prepared lset no boundaries and cover their eyes.

Gombau is a proven coach, he has taken kitchee from being a real nothing club to winning the league back to back and going to the acl quarters, quite an accomplishmemt.

This is a different league though, but fans will have to be patient .

One thing is certain though, we have the midfield and attacking players who can pull this off.

Our keeper for once may be the weak link im sad to say ....interms of playing the ball that is
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:58 pm

I think rini was capable but his man management was not the best multiply that with a board that did not have a clue what they were doing and were prepared lset no boundaries and cover their eyes.

Gombau is a proven coach, he has taken kitchee from being a real nothing club to winning the league back to back and going to the acl quarters, quite an accomplishmemt.

This is a different league though, but fans will have to be patient .

AFC Cup quarters. There is a big difference! But I agree with what you're saying. He certainly has runs on the board. IMO even someone as thick as I could see where Rini was going wrong. When watching training sessions I presumed the players must have been doing their fitness training on their own time as there was next to none happening during sessions. Hence why so many were going down with injuries as the intensity of matches was far higher.

One thing is certain though, we have the midfield and attacking players who can pull this off.

Our keeper for once may be the weak link im sad to say ....interms of playing the ball that is
Time to Djbate!
ipod

Postby ipod Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:56 pm

Irish,

an excellent description of training! Keep it up!
ipod

Postby ipod Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:30 pm

According to some Adelaide football legends Gombau don't expect to be successful with two very prominent former football legends claiming he will be a disaster when teams shut us down and hit us on the break!
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:10 am

^^^
Already crash and burn?
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”