United training reports.

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

supsup
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: United training reports.

Postby supsup Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:20 am

All remains to be seen...

I wonder that if the situation arises that this 'Barcelona' 'tiki taka' style is impossible whether Gombau will be able to adapt the style to suit both the players currently in the squad and with an eye to the future. Is a Barca-inspired system which is adapted to suit the current squad an impossible notion?
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:17 am

Possession is the key.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:42 am

According to some Adelaide football legends Gombau don't expect to be successful with two very prominent former football legends claiming he will be a disaster when teams shut us down and hit us on the break!
Geez he has been with the squad about a month and i would imagine is only changing things slowly.

When postecoglou took over roar it took the back end of his first season with then and well into his second for them to play well.

But in adelaide we only give our guys a month..
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:13 am

According to some Adelaide football legends Gombau don't expect to be successful with two very prominent former football legends claiming he will be a disaster when teams shut us down and hit us on the break!
Geez he has been with the squad about a month and i would imagine is only changing things slowly.

When postecoglou took over roar it took the back end of his first season with then and well into his second for them to play well.

But in adelaide we only give our guys a month..
It's the culture problem both inside and outside the club.

As has been said before, we have to be so good at playing this system that we are irresistible. Especially when last season the most conservative team won the premiership by being well organised defensively, it's going to be difficult to dominate for a while (maybe ever) but this project is worth doing IMO.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:05 am

I don't know who you're talking about but ex-professional footballers aren't always fonts of wisdom about the game. The Barcelona/tikitaka/4-3-3 possession game (call it what you like) relies on playing the ball out of defense, gradually moving defensive line forwards and pushing fullbacks up to squeeze the space, of course it's vulnerable to a counter attack, no news there. But every system/formation has its drawbacks, you could just as easily say that a flat 442 would be a 'disaster' when teams learn to keep the ball and play through the midfield against them.

It all depends how well the coach implements his particular strategy and gets the team playing as a unit. It's fucking ridiculous to write Gombau off when he's been in charge of the team for about a month, whoever this is should really know better (unless of course they have an agenda against the club or are angling for a job)...
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
burst
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: JERONIMOOOO

Postby burst Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:33 pm

great post gregg.

Worst case scenario, if it isn't working, i'm sure kossie will write a few damning articles and it won't be long before he is given a gentleman's hand shake for reappointment.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:58 pm

He's been here two weeks. Haha.

I don't know how anyone could form an opinion that early yet.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Also vicotory were vulnerable on the counter all of last season despite playing some great football and finshed high up the table after losing probably ther best player in finkler.

But ofcourse this is somehow different because postecoglou is untouchable. What could a manager who has worked for barca and still has very strong ties there possibly know about football that we dont right?

Also some people seem to think gombau is talkin himself up too much and that aufc will be a flop.

In reality gombau is only talking of the style he wants to play all while admiting winning games may not be easy while trying to build a good base......

I dont understand alot of critics in all honesty, they complain about hoofball then when a more modern form is being implemented that is nt good enough either
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:38 pm

Considering we could have been stuck with Kossie or Micky V or Ernie Merrick, I'm pretty stoked with AU's ambition to hire a manager like Gombau. Has a clear style and vision which is more than you can say about the former.

And hey, if we're playing attacking football then that's okay with me.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Every team is vulnerable to the counter attack when they are going forward.
But the opposition also need to be set up to exploit the counter attack opportunity and not all teams are.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Irish
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Twist and Shout

Postby Irish Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:35 am

All remains to be seen...

I wonder that if the situation arises that this 'Barcelona' 'tiki taka' style is impossible whether Gombau will be able to adapt the style to suit both the players currently in the squad and with an eye to the future. Is a Barca-inspired system which is adapted to suit the current squad an impossible notion?
Yes. Completely impossible.

When installing a system you cannot change it to suit the players, you have to change the players to suit the system.

Thats why it takes time and is not immediately successful. Changing one small part of a system to suit a player will result in a system that doesn't work. Players come and go, the system must be ingrained and remain. Long term success is the aim.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:07 pm

Players come and go, the system must be ingrained and remain. Long term success is the aim.
Agree this is why I hope we are focusing more on establishing this system in the NYL and then bring our own players thru in years to come. Sure we all love reading about AU signing 'amazing' Spanish imports but I would much rather see the likes of Mabil and Baker-Daish take the imports spots in the XI, then in the future the next gen in the NYL taking Mabil and JBD's spots when they hopefully move on to bigger and better things, with healthy transfer fees!
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Players come and go, the system must be ingrained and remain. Long term success is the aim.
Agree this is why I hope we are focusing more on establishing this system in the NYL and then bring our own players thru in years to come. Sure we all love reading about AU signing 'amazing' Spanish imports but I would much rather see the likes of Mabil and Baker-Daish take the imports spots in the XI, then in the future the next gen in the NYL taking Mabil and JBD's spots when they hopefully move on to bigger and better things, with healthy transfer fees!

Players and coaches come and go.

So if we are serious about the "barca way" becoming the adelaide way then are we grooming any coaches to take the reigns? this is surely just as important
kienchil

Postby kienchil Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:50 pm

Players and coaches come and go.

So if we are serious about the "barca way" becoming the adelaide way then are we grooming any coaches to take the reigns? this is surely just as important
Maybe if Cirio likes Adelaide he can stay on as player coach or something, he's got an international B license at the moment.
Irish
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Twist and Shout

Postby Irish Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:01 am

Coaching coaches the philosophy is as important as coaching players. Just look at Barca: all first team coaches are promoted from within the club because it ensures consistency

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”