Have we lost the city?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

ChillyPhilly
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Re: Have we lost the city?

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:07 pm

On Sunday I'll be going to support our boys on the pitch, not to support the club.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Same Phil, I support the players right now, not the management.
Ray
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene Galekovic
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Rollin' Along

Postby Ray Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Haven't been on the board for a while and then I read this thread which I guess sums a lot of it up for me right now.

I love Adelaide United but so much of what has happened this season has just pushed me away from the club. I love the team and the fans, that's what's great about this club. Off the pitch? I was told as young 'un if you've nothing good to say then don't say anything.

For the first time ever I'm more excited about the beginning of Port Adelaide's AFL season than Adelaide United's finals campaign, a lot of that is because PAFC have done a lot of great work over the summer to reconnect with its core supporters that became disillusioned by the shenanigans and dross the club have dished up over the last 5 years.

After what I have seen this season I don't know if the same effort can be made by AUFC, or if they even give two shits about making such an effort.

I will be there on Sunday supporting the team as always, but part of me will be relieved if Brisbane win because frankly it will be a mercy killing for what has been an utterly awful season to be an AUFC fan.

I hate the fact that I feel that way about a club I love so much but one can only take so much of what we're having to endure.
Shane

Postby Shane Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:30 pm

Haven't been on the board for a while and then I read this thread which I guess sums a lot of it up for me right now.

I love Adelaide United but so much of what has happened this season has just pushed me away from the club. I love the team and the fans, that's what's great about this club. Off the pitch? I was told as young 'un if you've nothing good to say then don't say anything.

For the first time ever I'm more excited about the beginning of Port Adelaide's AFL season than Adelaide United's finals campaign, a lot of that is because PAFC have done a lot of great work over the summer to reconnect with its core supporters that became disillusioned by the shenanigans and dross the club have dished up over the last 5 years.

After what I have seen this season I don't know if the same effort can be made by AUFC, or if they even give two shits about making such an effort.

I will be there on Sunday supporting the team as always, but part of me will be relieved if Brisbane win because frankly it will be a mercy killing for what has been an utterly awful season to be an AUFC fan.

I hate the fact that I feel that way about a club I love so much but one can only take so much of what we're having to endure.
This, x1000000.
Shano. Red to the core.
Damo

Postby Damo Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:52 pm

I agree with most of the comments that have been posted in this thread so far and recognise that most have reached or are getting very close to the end of their tether.

The way I’m looking at it though is that a lot can change in a short amount of time in football. Who knows where we’ll be in 6 months to a year. With the right coach and improved fan engagement we’d be moving in the right direction again. I’m sick to death of the stuff ups too but seem to keep coming back regardless…. Not sure what my breaking point is but I’m not there yet.

I'll be there Sunday regardless.
Shane

Postby Shane Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Its not just about the football for mine. Its about how the club truly and honestly engage with the people and give them a feeling of belonging and give them a club that they feel part of.

Right now, they are miles from it.

I'm at the stage where I'm sick of hearing talk and more talk about the club being run as a 'business' and a whole financial feel to it, and seeing the rest of the 'club' left behind.

Yes, the financial side needs a backbone, thats undeniable, but everything else has been lost.

When someone whom has put time and effort into a club that has no time for its own, well, one must ask themselves if its time to walk away in entirety.
Shano. Red to the core.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Its not just about the football for mine. Its about how the club truly and honestly engage with the people and give them a feeling of belonging and give them a club that they feel part of.

Right now, they are miles from it.

I'm at the stage where I'm sick of hearing talk and more talk about the club being run as a 'business' and a whole financial feel to it, and seeing the rest of the 'club' left behind.

Yes, the financial side needs a backbone, thats undeniable, but everything else has been lost.

When someone whom has put time and effort into a club that has no time for its own, well, one must ask themselves if its time to walk away in entirety.
Agree 100%

Many of us felt this way when while going deep into acl and looked as if we might compete for the prem. so i dont think these feeling are performance based.

As i alluded to in another thread, i have made a huge loss on this club when you consider season tickets, empty memberships ( mug and keyring fee) , buying each seasons kit, collecting personal club memorabilia, away match travel.

Id have been better served sticking that coin in a term deposit and walking away with my 4.5% compounded interest each year. Hell id have been better of investing in jb-hi or billabong shares even though they r about bankrupt LOL.

But we do not follow our clubs for financial gain, now should someone run a club for financial gain!!

The fact is if our business savy owners want a financial return on their investment then they are complete morons! Who wants to own a club that has no succes, no fans, no culture , no respect and no hope but turns a small profit?

Honestly they are absolute peanuts!!

I understand clubs need to make financial headway, but clubs also need to be a collective of like minded fans, a pillar in the community that gives those who are less fortunate a sense of belonging. Its supposed to give young kids the inspiration to go on and do something with their lives.

There are so many fans begging to volunteer to get this kind of club feeling off the ground and are time and again thwarted by their closed minded attitude!!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Another point / question

How much of their money have they REALLY put into this club?

Do we know how much the liscense cost? Im assuming not much at all as it was from our owners mouths it was a favour to frank lowy that they got involved.

After spnsorships, grants and ffa money and income from tickets, membership and merchandise, how much is really left for them to pay from their pockets when our turnover each year is only around 6million?

Also remember north adelaide and AU apparently share some recources, so i am sure there are some tax incentives or money being saved there also.

Kinda reminds me when your friends dodgey father owns one tangiable business yet technically owns 3 business :bow: such is life i suppose
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:44 pm

Another point / question

How much of their money have they REALLY put into this club?

Do we know how much the liscense cost? Im assuming not much at all as it was from our owners mouths it was a favour to frank lowy that they got involved.

After spnsorships, grants and ffa money and income from tickets, membership and merchandise, how much is really left for them to pay from their pockets when our turnover each year is only around 6million?

Also remember north adelaide and AU apparently share some recources, so i am sure there are some tax incentives or money being saved there also.

Kinda reminds me when your friends dodgey father owns one tangiable business yet technically owns 3 business :bow: such is life i suppose
I guess if they are saying that the club is breaking even then I guess none really! Thats not to say the club isn't in debt.
Time to Djbate!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:15 am

The thing with the financial situation is that I have a memory of Elliot or Griffin saying at the end of the 2010/11 season that the club was now (or would be imminently) in the black. Which would imply that the financial trouble now is entirely self-inflicted since then.

Remember the club management went from "Don't shorten the season, we make more money the more games are played." to not even bothering to open the full stadium for ACL matches in less than 12 months.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:25 am

The thing with the financial situation is that I have a memory of Elliot or Griffin saying at the end of the 2010/11 season that the club was now (or would be imminently) in the black. Which would imply that the financial trouble now is entirely self-inflicted since then.

Remember the club management went from "Don't shorten the season, we make more money the more games are played." to not even bothering to open the full stadium for ACL matches in less than 12 months.
That's if there are no extra costs arising which there certainly have been. The cost of using Hindmarsh has gone up and probably will continue to.
To be fair that has nothing to do with the owners but they had endeavoured to fix that.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”