Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 pm

So the silver lining with tight arse owners - we would never have had a night like last night with so many promising kids on the park if we had playing stocks like SFC.

I really enjoy the youth coming through but they're probably not going to win us a Championship.

Still very enjoyable to watch.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:12 pm

there is not even a murmur other than Ante having a moan on radio "that players don't want to come to Adelaide".
If that is true, he aint the bloke for this job.

Has he ever been to Sarajevo, Glasgow, Bilbao, Leipzip, Rotterdam, most of Belgium?

Fifth most liveable, Lonely planet's "coolest" precinct, "best restraunt in Australia", world class schools and wine regions with ultimate safety and he can't sell it?
I don't think attracting visa players is a massive concern. I think the club has a pretty good record of signing visa players that end up doing very well. From Rech and Qu to Flores and Van Dijk to now with Isaias and Adlung. But every club has picked up players that for countless reasons don't quite hit their strides.
The real issue the club faces is attracting Australian players proven at HAL level. Those players seem happy to switch between Brisbane, Perth, The NSW clubs and the Melbourne clubs but AU rarely picks up players like that. Generally AU are picking up players with limited HAL experience looking for more. Which Jeggo is an obvious success story of. Or they've picked up Australian players from abroad of which Juric would be an obvious success story.
IMO whether AU can attract players like Scott Jameson or Mitch Nichols (for example) or not to come to Adelaide isn't a massive concern as the club's primary focus needs to be ensuring the conveyor belts of young players coming along is working. As we saw last night the club has a huge number of HAL hopefuls up their sleeve. Its just a matter for the club to ensure these kids are playing as much as possible.
Time to Djbate!
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:01 pm

there is not even a murmur other than Ante having a moan on radio "that players don't want to come to Adelaide".

Has he ever been to Sarajevo, Glasgow, Bilbao, Leipzip, Rotterdam, most of Belgium?

Fifth most liveable, Lonely planet's "coolest" precinct, "best restraunt in Australia", world class schools and wine regions with ultimate safety and he can't sell it?
I don't think attracting visa players is a massive concern. I think the club has a pretty good record of signing visa players that end up doing very well. From Rech and Qu to Flores and Van Dijk to now with Isaias and Adlung. But every club has picked up players that for countless reasons don't quite hit their strides.
The real issue the club faces is attracting Australian players proven at HAL level. Those players seem happy to switch between Brisbane, Perth, The NSW clubs and the Melbourne clubs but AU rarely picks up players like that. Generally AU are picking up players with limited HAL experience looking for more. Which Jeggo is an obvious success story of. Or they've picked up Australian players from abroad of which Juric would be an obvious success story.
IMO whether AU can attract players like Scott Jameson or Mitch Nichols (for example) or not to come to Adelaide isn't a massive concern as the club's primary focus needs to be ensuring the conveyor belts of young players coming along is working. As we saw last night the club has a huge number of HAL hopefuls up their sleeve. Its just a matter for the club to ensure these kids are playing as much as possible.
To be honest I dont really want Aussie's from the east coast. I want 6 South Australians and 5 visas.

Who has Ante managed to recruit internationally that has been a success story? The closest might be Adlung but thats really down to Marco.

We need an AM and Inman is coming off the bench at bottom of the table Rochdale. I mean it's Rochdale FFS, if you can't entice a bloke out of a Rochdale winter there are some serious issues.

And not just him, what about these guys of transfermarkt? What they'd rather be unemployed than live and play football in Adelaide?
Philbyramone
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Postby Philbyramone Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:49 pm

The Adelaide I saw last night against SFC is the Adelaide I want to follow.

Young locals plus a few experienced foreigners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:07 pm

We can pat kurz, amor and gombau on the back for creating a production line of talent all we like but the sad fact is we will retain very few if any of the youth we saw yesterday.

The league and salary cap is not designed for clubs to take advantage of their youth programs.

First of all there are not enough games for these kids to ever get a chance, more clubs, more games more competition.

The biggest issue is the salary cap does not allow clubs to promote youth and realistically compete for the premiership its one or the other.

The second they perform we cannot retain them as resigning them would put us over the salary cap, they end up walking away from the club for free with potentially 4 years that aufc have invested in them.

No club will ever have 100% player retention but the cap needs to support clubs who are creating the talent with exemptions to youth products.

Just imagine if we could keep this group of adelaide youth together for 2 more years..... the league does not support clubs who build from within it supports clubs like sydney who do not invest in youth at all
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:49 pm

To be honest I dont really want Aussie's from the east coast. I want 6 South Australians and 5 visas.

Who has Ante managed to recruit internationally that has been a success story? The closest might be Adlung but thats really down to Marco.

We need an AM and Inman is coming off the bench at bottom of the table Rochdale. I mean it's Rochdale FFS, if you can't entice a bloke out of a Rochdale winter there are some serious issues.

And not just him, what about these guys of transfermarkt? What they'd rather be unemployed than live and play football in Adelaide?
Bradden has lived in the UK for the best part of a decade. Maybe he has more of a connection with that country than his own? He may have a serious partner over there who's got no reason or interest in living in Australia. Plus you look at many of these players and their home club fans just presume they'll return home. John Aloisi didn't, James Troisi didn't, Harry Kewell didn't, Brett Holman didn't, Tim Cahill didn't, Nathan Burns didn't. Sure there are some players who return to their home to play. But most don't. Some for money, some for a style that suits them, others because they have a good relationship with existing people at a club.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:00 pm

We can pat kurz, amor and gombau on the back for creating a production line of talent all we like but the sad fact is we will retain very few if any of the youth we saw yesterday.

The league and salary cap is not designed for clubs to take advantage of their youth programs.

First of all there are not enough games for these kids to ever get a chance, more clubs, more games more competition.

The biggest issue is the salary cap does not allow clubs to promote youth and realistically compete for the premiership its one or the other.

The second they perform we cannot retain them as resigning them would put us over the salary cap, they end up walking away from the club for free with potentially 4 years that aufc have invested in them.

No club will ever have 100% player retention but the cap needs to support clubs who are creating the talent with exemptions to youth products.

Just imagine if we could keep this group of adelaide youth together for 2 more years..... the league does not support clubs who build from within it supports clubs like sydney who do not invest in youth at all
Yeah exactly. The cap needs to encourage clubs to develop as Sydney have found they are benefiting from not.
Offer cap incentives for players that come thru the club's youth system and the game in this country will benefit greatly.
That and the NPL needs to be at least 30 games long. For the third season in a row the FFSA have announced a 22 round season which is pathetic.
They do now have 12 clubs in each of the 3 divisions now. Hopefully with the 'alignment' with the SAASL means more clubs can continue the growth and we start to see the NPL grow in numbers soon.
Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:32 pm

well, baba and absalonssen need to be replaced either this year or next. No point having visa players sitting in the stands every week. Johan has already missed 12 games out of 20. A few of those have been short stints off the bench. Same for baba.
add another week to the no show column. they have become more of a hinderance than help.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:14 pm

well, baba and absalonssen need to be replaced either this year or next. No point having visa players sitting in the stands every week. Johan has already missed 12 games out of 20. A few of those have been short stints off the bench. Same for baba.
add another week to the no show column. they have become more of a hinderance than help.
From what i understand absalonsen have been injury free for most of his career. I think he is worth the risk.

Baba unfortunetly needs to go imo. He was a fantastic signing but we need a striker who plays every week.

The club could have papered over these cracks by siging a 10 in january but it seems its well off the radar now
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:16 pm

A point of contention for me is the club have said we passed on mcgree due to his olyroos commitments and he would miss too mich game time to be effective.

Well he could be in newcastles squad this weekend and we still havnt found a replacement. This is the aufc we all know and love lol
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:55 pm

A point of contention for me is the club have said we passed on mcgree due to his olyroos commitments and he would miss too mich game time to be effective.

Well he could be in newcastles squad this weekend and we still havnt found a replacement. This is the aufc we all know and love lol
Yes,very contentious.
If players like McGree have a go o/s and it doesnt work out, they must come back to AU if there's a possibility. I didn't like the reason given for the club not bringing him back but I accepted it knowing that the club must have someone lined up already who would come in earlier.
Well as it turns out, instances like this just pisses fans off and I'd imagine players and staff too.
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Yeah im struggling to believe the reason given about McGree. A half truth at best.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:42 pm

I didn't mind the reason, but the sceptic in me knew we wouldn't sign anyone and thus it turns into a weak reason. Watching Riley with the Olyroos, he looks like he has regressed but we could have used him.

As for Baba and Johan, I think the latter should stay. I still think it takes the northern European players longer to adjust to the weather and firm pitches as we've seen with Jakobsen and Nordstrand before him.

Baba is a huge concern though
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:07 pm

Neither of them are in the twilight of their career (or shouldn't be) so Plan A should be getting them up to speed with a view to finals / next season. I hope they stay fit.
With Baba some of it might be psychological too though, hard for a bloke that's played at the level he has to give all he can for a little club on the other side of the world
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:51 pm

If when these players signed for us, it came with a clause saying they will miss more than half of the season you would not sign them. I know we cant see into the future but for me they have proven to be extremely unreliable which impacts our season badly. Johan has played 5 a league games. 2 of them are short stints off the bench and one subbed just after 60minutes. We no doubt are paying these guys more than most. They have failed us. They have failed to be worth the money we have spent. Unless they can play the rest of the season uninterrupted and steer us to the finals i will be wanting to see the back of them. No point wasting another season waiting for them to turn up to more than half a season.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”