Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby blahblah Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:44 pm

Personally I find it quite interesting. If a young South Australian gets plucked from obscurity, missing AUFC on the way, we laud the vision of the club who found them and send a few pointed remarks in the direction of Coopers. When AUFC do it suddenly it is all dark mutterings with visions of hoods, penatagrams and eldritch doors.

For those of you who pop into the Football Asia forum (and a hearty thanks to those who do), you'll be aware of BeIN's projections of the plunge in the value of sports rights due to issues with non-exclusivity due to illegal streaming. That, coupled with our own uncertain future regarding the value of A-League rights in 4 years time, may mean a change in the business model is required. If so it is better to be ahead of the game and have our alternate income streams established.

As far as I can tell, we are using a visa spot to enhance our business model and underwrite the club into the future. To do that, to really be successful at it, you don't bring over muppets.
RedsUnited
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:05 pm

It would make sense if anyone actually knew about the guy we're signing. As far as I can tell from trawling through Weibo and Google, no one does.

Have a read through John Duerden's article on TWG as I think he expresses my thoughts better than myself.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/what-ad ... n-strategy

I hope for the club everything plays out as they plan.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:08 pm

Personally I find it quite interesting. If a young South Australian gets plucked from obscurity, missing AUFC on the way, we laud the vision of the club who found them and send a few pointed remarks in the direction of Coopers. When AUFC do it suddenly it is all dark mutterings with visions of hoods, penatagrams and eldritch doors.

For those of you who pop into the Football Asia forum (and a hearty thanks to those who do), you'll be aware of BeIN's projections of the plunge in the value of sports rights due to issues with non-exclusivity due to illegal streaming. That, coupled with our own uncertain future regarding the value of A-League rights in 4 years time, may mean a change in the business model is required. If so it is better to be ahead of the game and have our alternate income streams established.

As far as I can tell, we are using a visa spot to enhance our business model and underwrite the club into the future. To do that, to really be successful at it, you don't bring over muppets.
Fantastic post.

I think another way to put it... atleast in investing terms.

The local aufc youth are our “ high growth stocks” get them low sell them high.

The chinese Visa may be our “ high dividend stock” potentially offering us a reliable income income stream of sponsors and chinese exposure.

Yes we lose a visa spot but this may be a way we can compete with the likes of sfc and city financially.

In a few years time we may have chinese sponsorship, or have aussie sponsors looking for chinese exposure, we may even have some kind of chinese fanbase who knows? Imagine the possibilities if we play acl!

I think this concept deserves some time to play out before we judge it. Dare I say small town thinking could be hampering our opinions on the concept?

Time will tell i guess lets hope this in an honest venture and not turning us into “player managers fc”.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Blahblah gets it right every time!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:16 am

" Good news for Adelaide United fans. Star striker Al Hassan Toure has signed a senior contract which kicks in next season, so he could be at the Reds for another three years. Scholarship contract now. 👌🏼"

https://twitter.com/Val61/status/1187151408534962176

Awesome news.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:46 am

And just think ... we still have Yongbin Chen to come in & strengthen the squad :o
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:59 am

When fit elsey walks back in.

However I feel Boland and Troisi need to earn a starting berth , d’argio is more than capable, I would consider him a starter , with troisi likely to earn a spot in the 11 I cant see a way in for boland given the energy we have in midfield I would actually prefer Lia over boland for his defensive stability given a particular situation.

This manager always has something up his sleeve so who knows in the end.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:39 am

And just think ... we still have Yongbin Chen to come in & strengthen the squad :o
10/10.
sub007

Postby sub007 Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:41 pm

He’ll single handedly lead us to glory.

He’s so good that Qingdao wouldn’t play him as it would be unfair to the opposition.
sub007

Postby sub007 Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:45 pm

However I feel Boland and Troisi need to earn a starting berth , d’argio is more than capable, I would consider him a starter , with troisi likely to earn a spot in the 11 I cant see a way in for boland given the energy we have in midfield I would actually prefer Lia over boland for his defensive stability given a particular situation.

Agree on Troisi and Boland.

I must admit I was wrong about D’Arrigo. After his first couple of games, I thought he had potential but wasn’t quite ready yet. In fairness Verbeek’s comments at the time implied this to be the case as well. If he keeps performing, there’s no reason why he shouldn’t be a starter.

One other factor that has to be taken into account is that D’Arrigo and a few of the other young players played a full season in the NPL and some were called up to youth national teams. Surely these players will get a break at some point during the season. I remember Strain was rested for an extended period of time in his first season at senior level as well.
sub007

Postby sub007 Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:57 pm

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if we were able to somehow squeeze D’Arrigo, Boland, Troisi and McGree all in to the XI with one of McGree or Troisi on the wing. This would also allow Maria to play left back. However displacing Halloran and Nikola will be a tough ask.

I must admit I’m surprised we have so much competition for places given how threadbare our squad looked at the start of the season but at the same time I’m thrilled.
flavze

Postby flavze Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:19 pm

See i don't see Elsey as a straight back in propostion, Marrone is bloody solid and doesn't have the regular "oh shit" moment that Elsey seems to drop into every game at some stage.

It's great to have depth but i reckon Troisi to 10, kitto to the bench and Maria to LB.

But i think possibly a 352 is potentialy our strongest lineup with Troisi and Toure/Opseth up front, midfield of D'ariggo, Mcgree and Boland, Wingers/wingbacks, Maria/Kitto and Miluesnic/Halloran and Elsey, Marrone and Jakobsen across the back.
Something i'd like to see at some stage this season.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:40 pm

See i don't see Elsey as a straight back in propostion, Marrone is bloody solid and doesn't have the regular "oh shit" moment that Elsey seems to drop into every game at some stage.

It's great to have depth but i reckon Troisi to 10, kitto to the bench and Maria to LB.

But i think possibly a 352 is potentialy our strongest lineup with Troisi and Toure/Opseth up front, midfield of D'ariggo, Mcgree and Boland, Wingers/wingbacks, Maria/Kitto and Miluesnic/Halloran and Elsey, Marrone and Jakobsen across the back.
Something i'd like to see at some stage this season.
Maria looked better in midfield than he did out wide. I don't think he'd have the legs for wingback.

Harsh on any player to drop out of the team after that performance. Maybe Boland and Troisi will have to be content on the bench for the start of the next game. Hopefully that makes them play even better when they do come on.

I agree that Toure and D'Arrigo playing excellently, plus the late signing of Troisiu, has made our squad suddenly look like contenders.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:13 pm

I must admit I’m surprised we have so much competition for places given how threadbare our squad looked at the start of the season but at the same time I’m thrilled.

The kids have stepped up.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:29 am

Agreed. He's becoming more Nigel Boogard than I'd like.

I thought we'd have sold him to a Korean side for >$600k by now, it's not turning out that way.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”