Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby shinAUFC Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:01 pm

It wasn't that long ago people on here were saying how there is very little difference between the quality of an A-league player and an NSL player. Surely there must be half a dozen young players to choose from who could easily replace O'Dougherty.

(Actually that was largely tongue in cheek. I think there is a huge gap from NSL to A-L and it takes time even for the best young players to transition and not all can do so.)
Way to over simplify and take things out of context.

Furthermore odoherty is very replaceable, he is not even close to being the league leader in his position.

The reason people want to keep him is because he is a local kid and a bit of an aufc product with future potential, to south australians this is important.

I can think of player off the top of my head who would do a passable job in odohertys role that is currently in the nsw npl that has had lack of opportunity in the AM role given its much safer to buy a visa player rather than let an aussie develop.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
RedRis
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carrusca

Postby RedRis Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Brook is years away from holding down a first team spot. O'Doherty is ready now. You could compare O'Doherty with Konstandopoulos or Strain whom I guess Kurz prefers. IMO O'Doherty should be ahead of those two. But I guess we'll see.

From an investor point of view, you'd be disappointed to lose a player without collecting a transfer fee. I'd think particularly from a young player AUFC helped develop.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Brook is years away from holding down a first team spot. O'Doherty is ready now. You could compare O'Doherty with Konstandopoulos or Strain whom I guess Kurz prefers. IMO O'Doherty should be ahead of those two. But I guess we'll see.

From an investor point of view, you'd be disappointed to lose a player without collecting a transfer fee. I'd think particularly from a young player AUFC helped develop.
I agree

To add on to that id say aufc fans probably have more of an emotional investment in their youth than most clubs
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Furthermore odoherty is very replaceable, he is not even close to being the league leader in his position.

The reason people want to keep him is because he is a local kid and a bit of an aufc product with future potential, to south australians this is important.

I can think of player off the top of my head who would do a passable job in odohertys role that is currently in the nsw npl that has had lack of opportunity in the AM role given its much safer to buy a visa player rather than let an aussie develop.
I'm unclear from your response what you think we should do:

Should we let O'D go because he's easily replaceable?
Or should we keep him because he's a local with potential and we should "let an aussie develop"?

Should we be aiming to get a player who is "the league leader in his position"?
Or should we get your cousin back from the NSW NPL and settle for a player who you think "would do a passable job"?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Mate, it seems we disagree on most things and thats ok because in the grand scheme of things we are probably both wrong lol. You know what they say about opinions.

Im all for debate, this is a forum after all. But if your just going to pick a very small part of a post each time and take it down a tangent the op hasnt intended im less likely to to value the critque.

I really have little opinion on Odoherty, i would like him to stay as i am a proud south aussie and its clear he is a future star but we clearly need a 10 to compete for trophies. So im on the fence.

As for my family since you raised it , no i do not have any in the nsw npl. Although one is an ex aufc player and another is playing in the k-league. Not that this validates or discredits my thoughts in anyway. Im just a guy who likes watching and talking about football.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby bpowell454 Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:10 pm

Mate, it seems we disagree on most things and thats ok because in the grand scheme of things we are probably both wrong lol. You know what they say about opinions.

Im all for debate, this is a forum after all. But if your just going to pick a very small part of a post each time and take it down a tangent the op hasnt intended im less likely to to value the critque.

I really have little opinion on Odoherty, i would like him to stay as i am a proud south aussie and its clear he is a future star but we clearly need a 10 to compete for trophies. So im on the fence.

As for my family since you raised it , no i do not have any in the nsw npl. Although one is an ex aufc player and another is playing in the k-league. Not that this validates or discredits my thoughts in anyway. Im just a guy who likes watching and talking about football.
Well said.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Do you expect him to be?
He has been voted in the HAL side of the week several time this season. That indicates to me that he's clearly HAL standard. From a 20 year old that's more than encouraging.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:05 pm

Odoherty is absolutely HAL standard he has earnt his spot. No doubt!

But to win trophies you need a chelo, ninkovic or troisi consistently linking up with the front third.

Odoherty is not there (yet) but is likely to be in future.

Personally I feel if we can keep odoherty and blackwood long enough we could be well primed for an amazing season given their talent and the luxury of filling those key positions with aussies. But it may not be next season.

I dont think either player are quite there yet but will pay dividends in the future.
otto62

Postby otto62 Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks for the friendly response Shin. Have to admit I was trolling for a bite, so well done to you. It's clear that we all are passionate to see AU do well.

I like all our local lads and they are so much better this year than they were a year ago. But I also want to see us play beautiful winning football, so I'm always happy to see a Carrusca or Flores in our team.

In the end, I'm happy for the club to do the job of signing players and I'll just support anyone who wears the club's shirt.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:45 am

Since it looks like Gulum won't be back, signing Elsey must be the priority.

After that the back 4 and CM's don't really need any change.

An upgrade on the wingers, No10 and gun striker must be a priority.

Isais becoming an Aussie and ditching Baba/Cavusevic will make signing creative front 3rd players that much easier.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:28 am

Odoherty is absolutely HAL standard he has earnt his spot. No doubt!

But to win trophies you need a chelo, ninkovic or troisi consistently linking up with the front third.

Odoherty is not there (yet) but is likely to be in future.

Personally I feel if we can keep odoherty and blackwood long enough we could be well primed for an amazing season given their talent and the luxury of filling those key positions with aussies. But it may not be next season.

I dont think either player are quite there yet but will pay dividends in the future.
Ah yeah that's fair.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:28 pm

Since it looks like Gulum won't be back, signing Elsey must be the priority.

After that the back 4 and CM's don't really need any change.

An upgrade on the wingers, No10 and gun striker must be a priority.

Isais becoming an Aussie and ditching Baba/Cavusevic will make signing creative front 3rd players that much easier.
Whats the scoop on gulum?
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 am

Gulum for Jakobsen is the rumour.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:10 am

Would make sense for Gulum (as a Melbourne boy he probably wants to go home)
Might make sense for Jakobsen (playing under a German coach with Danish & German teammates)
Makes sense for us (Gulum is possibly not our best CB, but would ask for the big bikkies that we probably can't afford)
Probably makes sense for City (cost isn't so much of an issue, and they need a bit of mongrel)

On balance I wouldn't be opposed to this - although I like Gulum & what he brings to the team I would also be really happy with Elsey / Regan / Jakobsen as CB options.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:17 pm

But do we want to use a foreign spot on him when we desperately need a quality 10

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”