Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby bpowell454 Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:15 pm

Officially a done deal.Image
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:25 pm

Well.......i'll put my parochial South Australian one eyed glasses on. Now i believe he should be a socceroo, he is a legend of aussie football with an unrivalled pedigree and should strike fear in every other a league team......great signing
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:47 pm

Not that happy with this signing. McGree is doing the job perfectly well.
Who the heck is going to be doing our defending from midfield?
I fear this could get messy when we play quality opposition. CCM, in preseason no less, walked through our midfield...
Only saving grace is we have a January transfer window where we can offload one of the 4 "disposable" visa spots (the 5th is obviously a non-negotiable regardless of quality) and sign a defensive mid.
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:09 pm

Good news. Verbeek had already signalled that his team would play attacking football. In the absence of quality Aussie defensive midfielders with the exception of Jedinak, this is a good signing. Anyway, we have Louis D'Arrigo developing nicely and Michael Marrone/ Michael Maria/Vince Lia to do the defensive stuff if needed. The club can't ignore players of that quality and experience once they become available. It is a signing coup if what has been written in the media about a Champions League club and two Asian clubs have made offers to him is true. He has played in six different countries, so he has "been there and done that.: The fact that Troisi has been training alone in Adelaide and that he is now a family man suggests that Troisi wants to settle back in his hometown after sixteen years away. I now think that the club has recruited well and that we have a better squad than last year. Go you Reds.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:19 pm

I've always been cynical about Troisi but now he's a Red I'll support him as I would with any new signing. Fresh start. Welcome James
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:35 pm

Could be a goalfest offensively and defensively this year. Won’t be bored I’m sure.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 pm

And then he goes and posts this about my club and my heart melts

"jamestroisi
Amazing feeling to finally be back home after 16 years away and have the opportunity to represent my city.
Really excited for this new chapter, can’t wait to get started @adelaideunited."

Welcome James!!
Fire Up Farken!!!
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:07 pm

If he turns it on in his first game in red we will warm to him.

I'm worried he doesn't have much left to give, but will wait and see.
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:46 pm

Not that happy with this signing. McGree is doing the job perfectly well.
Who the heck is going to be doing our defending from midfield?
I fear this could get messy when we play quality opposition. CCM, in preseason no less, walked through our midfield...
Only saving grace is we have a January transfer window where we can offload one of the 4 "disposable" visa spots (the 5th is obviously a non-negotiable regardless of quality) and sign a defensive mid.

Like many other AU fans, I have disliked Troisi for knocking back offers from his hometown club and instead opting for our hated rivals (Melbourne Victory). However, he is a class player and we can't ignore the opportunity to recruit players like him when they become available. He adds creativity,versatility and depth to the squad. Surely, now we have a better squad than last season.
Last edited by Reds United on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:51 pm

This no DM business reminds me of the old 451 outrage with vidmar playing with only one striker. Soon after 451/433 was the norm in australia. Suddenly playing with only one striker was seen as trendy. I distinctly remember a poll on the old adelaide reds forum where we all voted for our favoured formation, a flat 442 was the overwhelming favoured formation. The 451 was public enemy number one, how things changed!

For the last 5 years we have had a midfield anchor capable of threading a ball though a tight defence. Its largely how we expect football to be played.

Times change , tactics evolve. It really wasnt that long ago a DM was seen as an ultra defensive position that meant dour boring football.

It would certainly appear its going to be an entertaining season and no 1-0 1 all boring matches. Hopefully we will be on the winning side

A midfield trio of troisi mcgree and boland is quality in this league and all three are capable of a few worldies.

Im looking forward to seeing how Vebeek adapts to such an attacking line up and how this could help blackwood, toure and mileusenic play with less regiment and just focus on the back of the net
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:24 am

This no DM business reminds me of the old 451 outrage with vidmar playing with only one striker. Soon after 451/433 was the norm in australia. Suddenly playing with only one striker was seen as trendy. I distinctly remember a poll on the old adelaide reds forum where we all voted for our favoured formation, a flat 442 was the overwhelming favoured formation. The 451 was public enemy number one, how things changed!

For the last 5 years we have had a midfield anchor capable of threading a ball though a tight defence. Its largely how we expect football to be played.

Times change , tactics evolve. It really wasnt that long ago a DM was seen as an ultra defensive position that meant dour boring football.

It would certainly appear its going to be an entertaining season and no 1-0 1 all boring matches. Hopefully we will be on the winning side

A midfield trio of troisi mcgree and boland is quality in this league and all three are capable of a few worldies.

Im looking forward to seeing how Vebeek adapts to such an attacking line up and how this could help blackwood, toure and mileusenic play with less regiment and just focus on the back of the net
I agree in part, but the coach and football director have stated multiple times that a DM was priority number one yet we failed to sign one - it's not like us fans are making this up.

Is it certain our squad is finished now? I mean we could still sign / loan / swap someone else...
Philbyramone
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Postby Philbyramone Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:56 am

If we’re looking for a DM who can’t build up the play, what was the point in giving Lia another contract?
He's kind of our new Cameron Watson.
I liked Watto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philbyramone

Postby Philbyramone Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:01 am

Do we have a name?
Gertjan doesn’t even know his name which is a bit concerning.
Hu Yung Gai

Philbyramone

Postby Philbyramone Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:05 am

I’m on board with Jimmy Troisi.

He’s one of us now.

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby shinAUFC Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:10 pm

I agree in part, but the coach and football director have stated multiple times that a DM was priority number one yet we failed to sign one - it's not like us fans are making this up.

Is it certain our squad is finished now? I mean we could still sign / loan / swap someone else...
Yeah they made no secret they were looking for a defensive mid.

Fortunately given the shortage of aussie dm’s they have obviously found an alternative path rather than fitting a square peg in a round hole.

Dont get me wrong, id have preferred to have isa pulling the strings at the back. The flexibility of the club and manager to adapt to the players market is a positive though.

Its going to be a volatile and entertaining season i think.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”