Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Stuckey Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:02 am

I'm quietly excited by Galloway. The guy appears proactive on moving to clubs that appear to offer game time. Almost 100 HAL appearances at 23 is pretty good experience. Hopefully we can see another Jeggo move here.
I'm not saying he's going to set the league alight but I'm always happy to see the club offer a spot to young players who have the potential to make it if they are just offered a solid stretch of game time.

Mabil would be a wonderful move. I can really see him coming home, enjoying that fact and tearing the league a new one! IMO if he can cut it gaining pretty regular game time in the Portugese top flight. Coming back to the HAL could really be a coming of age of him where he transitions from impact player to regular starter (and scorer).

Can someone please enlighten me on where Ilso appears to slot in? I thought he was a striker but there is talk of him being a #10. If he is playing more of a #10 role then I'd like to see the club's last visa player be someone a bit more defensive minded.
Wait I just looked at the squad, isn't Isa a local now? So that means AU have only signed 3 visa players.
Geez I feel out of the loop lately!
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:09 am

Galloway seems decent in all respects (except for the putrid stench of Melbourne Victory). Also, we would be his 4th A-League team ... which is a fucken joke, but I've come to expect that of this league.

The club should be doing absolutely everything they can to lure Mabil back home. Imagine him, Mileusnic & Goodwin fighting it out for the wing spots.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Obarizk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jordan Elsey

Postby Obarizk Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:46 am

Signing Mabil would be a good option right now, seeing as there are reports of Mileu in a moon boot.
Galloway is a like for like replace with Garrucio for me.

Tend to agree we look weaker in midfield without Adlung there.
Ilso vs Adlung with Isaias and Konstadopoulos. To me it depends on whether Ilso delivers creativity and/or lots of goals from number 10 but the midfield could be at least as good as last year. Konstandopoulos has hopefully improved. Brook also excites me as a back up number 10.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby bpowell454 Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:48 am

I'm quietly excited by Galloway. The guy appears proactive on moving to clubs that appear to offer game time. Almost 100 HAL appearances at 23 is pretty good experience. Hopefully we can see another Jeggo move here.
I'm not saying he's going to set the league alight but I'm always happy to see the club offer a spot to young players who have the potential to make it if they are just offered a solid stretch of game time.

Mabil would be a wonderful move. I can really see him coming home, enjoying that fact and tearing the league a new one! IMO if he can cut it gaining pretty regular game time in the Portugese top flight. Coming back to the HAL could really be a coming of age of him where he transitions from impact player to regular starter (and scorer).

Can someone please enlighten me on where Ilso appears to slot in? I thought he was a striker but there is talk of him being a #10. If he is playing more of a #10 role then I'd like to see the club's last visa player be someone a bit more defensive minded.
Wait I just looked at the squad, isn't Isa a local now? So that means AU have only signed 3 visa players.
Geez I feel out of the loop lately!
Isaias is not getting naturalized apparently. So we have one visa spot remaining. Mabil would be a decent pickup. Ilso was named as an AM/ST by the clubs Facebook announcement, apparently he's played more as an AM recently.

Starting XI-
Izzo
Marrone-Elsey-Jackobsen-Galloway
Isaias
Ilso-Konstandopolous/VISA
Mabil-Baba-Goodwin

Bench-
Margush
Blackwood
Kitto/Mileusnic/Strain
Regan
Konstandopolous/Brook/Lia

Not a bad looking squad, plenty of bench depth and I can see all of those guys getting chances with normal amounts on injury/suspension/fatigue.
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:57 am

Ilso is a number 10 who can play as a striker. When he played the Bundesliga and alot of the Bundesliga 2 he played as a number 10. Since being in Asia has seemed to have played the vast majority of games as a striker. It seems his career overall is split about 50/50 between the two positions.
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:08 am

Galloway was seen as a great young player when he started at Victory but he just never developed much and is not much better than what he was as a 17 year old. He was given plenty of time by Victory to develop, but drifted away from selection. He has then spent one year at the Mariners and one year at Wellington but did not do enough at Wellington to stay there.
His best attribute is he is two footed and can genuinely play both sides.

Maybe Kurz can get more out of him but he is older and not as good as Garuccio when he joined.
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 am

yeah I would like to think Galloway would be a backup / squaddie rather than a nailed-on first team player. I want to see more from Strain this season.
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:39 pm

So we're trialling Scott Galloway instead of just outright signing Stefan Nigro who has now just gone to roar. The mind boggles.
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Is Nigro any good?
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:31 pm

I thought so whenever I saw him. Was surprised Victory let him go, I thought we would have swooped straight away.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Galloway was seen as a great young player when he started at Victory but he just never developed much and is not much better than what he was as a 17 year old. He was given plenty of time by Victory to develop, but drifted away from selection. He has then spent one year at the Mariners and one year at Wellington but did not do enough at Wellington to stay there.
His best attribute is he is two footed and can genuinely play both sides.

Maybe Kurz can get more out of him but he is older and not as good as Garuccio when he joined.
Thanks for those updates mate.
If memory serves wasn't Galloway close to a move to an Eredivisie move while with Victory?
I like the sounds of Ilso if he's spent time as a #10 in Germany if the club can secure a player who can make a decent pass into the penalty area I'll be a very happy beaver.

If AU can sign Mabil I too any very happy with the squad on paper. Then it either leaves room for a visa to come in should an injury occur, or the club looks at a fairly marketable guest player, or (my pick) stick with 4 visas and offer locals more chances to shine.
Time to Djbate!
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 pm

So we're trialling Scott Galloway instead of just outright signing Stefan Nigro who has now just gone to roar. The mind boggles.
How do we know the club did not try to sign him?
I don't rate him that highly either so not greatly fussed.
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:04 pm

I don't want us to sign Mabil.
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:05 am

I think when he left us he was probably only around the level that Mileusnic is now .. however I imagine that time in Denmark & Portugal would have developed his game a lot. It's conjecture cos I haven't seen him play since then, but I reckon as a club we need to prioritise Adelaide boys coming home
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:20 am

I think when he left us he was probably only around the level that Mileusnic is now .. however I imagine that time in Denmark & Portugal would have developed his game a lot. It's conjecture cos I haven't seen him play since then, but I reckon as a club we need to prioritise Adelaide boys coming home
Why ??

We should be getting the best available talent, not just who comes from Adelaide. If Mabil is the best we can get, then fine, but we have to cut this "romantic" notion of bringing boys home.

In the case of Goody, fair enough as he is a high quality player who was unlucky not to be in the WC squad.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”