Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby bpowell454 Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Some interesting comments from Bruce on a video on the club's Facebook. Basically saying that expansion teams have over inflated the price of Australian players and that's making it difficult.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:44 am

re: ^^^

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:06 am

Some interesting comments from Bruce on a video on the club's Facebook. Basically saying that expansion teams have over inflated the price of Australian players and that's making it difficult.
He's correct in that the easy pickings are now costlier, however this can be offset by investing more/better in scouting to pick up those gems in the NPL that clubs haven't bothered checking as it was cheaper to pick up known fringe A-League players who are out of contract/looking for a change.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:34 am

Which I think the club wanted to do, we want to be more present at NPL. There's plenty of good players floating around the country
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:57 am

So VM has written an article suggesting that Kristin Konstandopoulos could be on the out, based (it seems) from the fact that his name doesn't appear on the AUFC Wikipedia site - though he is listed on the club's official website.

Journalistic integrity aside, anyone know anything about this?
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
UnitedPants
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: -

Postby UnitedPants Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:00 pm

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/09/11/w ... -year/amp/

After selling stars Goodwin and Isaias, Adelaide United needed to find – among other things – a quality defensive midfielder. A midfield general, if you like.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:29 pm

After selling stars Goodwin and Isaias, Adelaide United needed to find – among other things – a quality defensive midfielder. A midfield general, if you like.
For me that is a very lazy article based on a couple if data points while appealing to aufc’s reputation under a previous owner group.

No doubt we are a quality mid away from being a serious competitor but we also have cap space and spare visa. There is much to be positive about lets wait until clubs have finalised their squads.
Championship teams are built on defence as Tony Popovic demonstrated last season, despite the fact his Perth Glory team failed to win the A-League’s ultimate prize against Sydney FC on grand final day
This got me.... short memory where a popa wsw lost a gf to an attack minded aufc. Which would be 3 championship deciders popa has now lost...So at no stage has popa proven strong defence wins championships given he hasnt actually won one.

Just find one data point that supports your view and ignore all others that disprove it, add a few cliches and assumptions and your a journalist.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:50 pm

The Roar is opinion pieces mainly so don't take what you read on there too seriously. People wanting to make a quick name for themselves by writing shite.
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:12 am

Hard to argue with some of the points, I really do feel that we have not replaced Isa and using Boland or Lia will be a step backwards for sure. However, AU have no yet finished there signings. I just hope the Chinese player is actually a quality one as it is clear we lack quality compared with Sydney, WSW, and a few others IMO.
Damo

Postby Damo Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:41 pm

For me that is a very lazy article based on a couple if data points while appealing to aufc’s reputation under a previous owner group.

No doubt we are a quality mid away from being a serious competitor but we also have cap space and spare visa. There is much to be positive about lets wait until clubs have finalised their squads.
Championship teams are built on defence as Tony Popovic demonstrated last season, despite the fact his Perth Glory team failed to win the A-League’s ultimate prize against Sydney FC on grand final day
This got me.... short memory where a popa wsw lost a gf to an attack minded aufc. Which would be 3 championship deciders popa has now lost...So at no stage has popa proven strong defence wins championships given he hasnt actually won one.

Just find one data point that supports your view and ignore all others that disprove it, add a few cliches and assumptions and your a journalist.
Its fairly negative without a lot of substance but I agree in part with some of it ie if we don't bring in at least one more strong experienced player in CM/DM we may struggle.

The games I've seen so far with our first team, we've looked very shaky at the back (elsey and Izzo playing out from the back in particular). Think a lot of this comes down to the work off the ball of Issy to give them someone to play to and also relieve that pressure/back them up. As we didn't manage to pick up any of the better Aussie DM's (i don't think there are many left) and the owners have already made it clear our next foreign player will be Chinese (most likely a kid) I'm not holding my breath to get the level of replacement we need for Issy. His influence cannot be underestimated, was key to defense as well as our forward movement.

On the other points made:

Yes a backup CB would be handy.

Id argue that the owners have replaced Goodwin already. Maria is being played up the park at the moment and i get the feeling this will be the norm. Whether he is an adequate replacement we will find out. I don't think we need any more at the pointy end plenty of good youth that should be able to cover.

Don't think Bruce has been making excuses, I think hes been as honest and open as he can so far and has done better than i expected in the role.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Melbourne Victory support writes an article and we expect it to be balanced...... we expect too much.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:24 am

Herein lies the biggest problem with our current owners' recruitment strategy:

We desperately need a CDM and we've only got Chinese and Australian players to choose from.

Reduced talent pool, reduced quality.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:58 am

We know that the coach and Bruce have said that we need an extra visa spot in the A-league. I wonder if that's a public way of saying to the owner Piet that we need all available visa spots to be used on better than Australian players.
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:42 am

so 12 days to season start, no 5th via player and Bruce's words of signings at end of August appear to be typical of previous seasons. Squad still lacks CB and midfield depth/ quality.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:36 am

so 12 days to season start, no 5th via player and Bruce's words of signings at end of August appear to be typical of previous seasons. Squad still lacks CB and midfield depth/ quality.
I’m getting worried tbh.

Not only are we wasting our last visa spot on a kid from the Chinese third division, we still haven’t replaced Isaias or Regan.

That is inexcusable and the club should be receiving backlash.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”