Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sub007
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby sub007 Mon May 30, 2022 6:39 pm

Losing both Yengi and Mo hurts. Both are similar players and keeping one would have been great.

Stumped as to why you'd go to WSW with such a narcissistic and possibly sociopathic coach.

Could be a disaster for him.
Has train wreck written all over it.

I’m hoping Carl brings AP back.
RedRis
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carrusca

Postby RedRis Tue May 31, 2022 10:04 am

There goes my theory about Timotheou being prepared to take over from Jakobsen, as our left footed/sided centre back.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Tue May 31, 2022 11:10 am

Carl said about Yengi maybe last week:

"I hope he stays with the club. He needs to be in an environment where he can flourish and express himself because he's a little bit out there, and you don't want to put too many restrictions on him."

Good luck with that under Rudes, mate.

With M.Toure and now Yengi out, I wouldn't mind the return of AH.Toure (assuming he can swallow the pill).
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Tue May 31, 2022 11:26 am

Is Apostolos Stamatelopoulos worth looking at?

Believe he is currently on a free.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue May 31, 2022 11:31 am

Is Apostolos Stamatelopoulos worth looking at?

Believe he is currently on a free.
definitely. he never should have left in the first place.

Agree with the comments on Yengi: why leave to go to a worse club? He'll probably end up punching on with Rudan (although, maybe an asshole disciplinarian is what he needs, or at least getting out of his home town comfort zone).
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Tue May 31, 2022 5:02 pm

Barr will slot neatly into Jako's vacancy and eventually Clough will replace Isa (I hope). I'm unsure why Clough has not been fully embraced in this forum; he has made an impact on almost his every appearance on the pitch and scored a cracker against MC Petrodollars - which nearly got us into the GF. He was really only here for the last 1/3rd of the season and as Isa showed when he first turned up, foreigners need at least 6 months - and preferably a whole season - to adjust to the highly physical, high pressure, very high fitness Australian game. So Clough is definitely a keeper for me (albeit not actually the keeper!).

I can't see how Clough replaces Isiais. The former is an attacking mid/striker, the other is a defensive mid/deep lying playmaker. Apples and oranges really.

On Clough though I really expected more. He showed glimpses but never really fully delivered.
I think a player from the UK should settle quicker than say a Spanish player. Fitness levels required would be similar and there isn't the different culture/language issue.

I'm 50-50 on whether we should retain his services for next season.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Tue May 31, 2022 5:05 pm

We are rumoured to be talking to Valentino Yuel - just released from the Jets.
sub007

Postby sub007 Tue May 31, 2022 6:16 pm

Barr will slot neatly into Jako's vacancy and eventually Clough will replace Isa (I hope). I'm unsure why Clough has not been fully embraced in this forum; he has made an impact on almost his every appearance on the pitch and scored a cracker against MC Petrodollars - which nearly got us into the GF. He was really only here for the last 1/3rd of the season and as Isa showed when he first turned up, foreigners need at least 6 months - and preferably a whole season - to adjust to the highly physical, high pressure, very high fitness Australian game. So Clough is definitely a keeper for me (albeit not actually the keeper!).

I can't see how Clough replaces Isiais. The former is an attacking mid/striker, the other is a defensive mid/deep lying playmaker. Apples and oranges really.

On Clough though I really expected more. He showed glimpses but never really fully delivered.
I think a player from the UK should settle quicker than say a Spanish player. Fitness levels required would be similar and there isn't the different culture/language issue.

I'm 50-50 on whether we should retain his services for next season.

Agree that he underperformed and there’s no way he’s a like for like for Isaias.

Get rid.
sub007

Postby sub007 Tue May 31, 2022 6:17 pm

Juande and Javi Lopez have signed new deals. Thrilled Javi is staying but Juande really needed to be moved on in favour of someone younger even if he is quality.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby bpowell454 Tue May 31, 2022 6:25 pm

Juande and Javi Lopez have signed new deals. Thrilled Javi is staying but Juande really needed to be moved on in favour of someone younger even if he is quality.
Yeh I wish they were 5 years younger but they both have something to offer still.
sub007

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby sub007 Tue May 31, 2022 6:32 pm

Yeh I wish they were 5 years younger but they both have something to offer still.
I’m worried that having two blokes in their mid 30’s anchoring the midfield will cause us to get overrun there while also lacking a bit of creativity too.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Tue May 31, 2022 7:41 pm

Lopez was close to my player of the season. Another year is a good thing. Hopefully he can keep the standard up. Jaunde is a 50-50. he played some good stuff and it could be said he outdid Isaias, who has really dropped off. We're still looking for a DM who can replace at least one of them. D'Arrigo seems to have forgotten how to play that position.
sub007

Postby sub007 Tue May 31, 2022 7:46 pm

Lopez was close to my player of the season. Another year is a good thing. Hopefully he can keep the standard up. Jaunde is a 50-50. he played some good stuff and it could be said he outdid Isaias, who has really dropped off. We're still looking for a DM who can replace at least one of them. D'Arrigo seems to have forgotten how to play that position.
Which is scary as he’s incapable of playing anywhere else.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue May 31, 2022 9:38 pm

Good re-signings for the dressing room alone.

Agree with the sentiments it's delayed D'Arrigo's development and now we have no one really capable of stepping up to good effect.

Would love if we could get Gomulka back. Would start every game for us.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:31 pm

Isaias has always been rather disappointing the moment he's in a setup that isn't exactly perfect for him (eg. struggled when partnered with James Holland.) It's hard to tell exactly how much age has affected him as a result.

D'Arrigo will probably follow the Ryan Strain career progression. Explodes onto the scene at a young age -> No improvement for years -> Breakout year -> gone.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”