Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

The Claw
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby The Claw Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Well we will get a first hand look at our defensive depth as soon as Sunday with Strain and Elsey out. Luckily we have Marrone to play both positions simultaneously. Looks promising considering it’s rd 2....

Just not a fan on wasting visa spots on players no better than local options or where there are squad needs that can’t be filled locally such as CB/DM.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Yongbin Chen is 3-4 weeks away from coming to Adelaide still. Isn't this crazy? What's the point? A 1 year deal and he won't start training with the squad until round 5-6.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Not ideal (to say the least). But I won’t write any player off until they prove they’re rubbish on the pitch. And the lack of DM cover isn’t down to this one signing. Gertjan has shown in his signings, in his team selections and in his substitutions that he’s completely focused on attacking. I’m happy enough with that. Gertjan would have been good very early on that the 5th visa would be Chinese. My suspicion is that Gertjan asked for an AM instead of a DM when they asked him what he wanted.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:29 pm

*told - rather than “good” - using my phone and technologically challenged.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:31 pm

Not ideal (to say the least). But I won’t write any player off until they prove they’re rubbish on the pitch. And the lack of DM cover isn’t down to this one signing. Gertjan has shown in his signings, in his team selections and in his substitutions that he’s completely focused on attacking. I’m happy enough with that. Gertjan would have been good very early on that the 5th visa would be Chinese. My suspicion is that Gertjan asked for an AM instead of a DM when they asked him what he wanted.
Yes i think your right there, gertjan would have known the parameters of the 5th visa before assembling the squad.

I dont like that we wont have him here for another month, however as i have previously said im happy to trade the 1 visa spot for the stability and money that the new owners bring.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:30 pm

Chen won't be playing first team this season.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:44 pm

Bruce with the information.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Yes it is. It means that we can only sign an Australian DM because we are wasting our last visa spot and the only half decent option currently available is Mile Jedinak but he isn't the play making DM Verbeek supposedly wants.

We know the club wants a DM because we tried to sign Rostyn Griffiths but City wouldn't release him. Bruce has spoken about the club looking for a DM as well from memory.
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:28 pm

Bruce is only the mouthpiece of VDP, so no hard feelings towards him as it is clear that this directive to sign a Chinese player annually is definitely from higher up. There's no point in arguing for an increase in visa spots if we're wasting it like this. IIRC, Gertjan aired his grievance of being restricted early on in one of the first interviews he had when assembling his squad.

So Chen won't be here for 3-4 weeks, another 3-4 weeks (minimum) to get him up to speed tactically, who knows how long to get him up to speed physically, looks likely he won't feature in any games until January the earliest. What a waste.
leeds4eva
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Postby leeds4eva Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:07 am

We should try George Blackwood at CB, can't do any worse than he does up front, on the wing or through the middle of midfield..
"The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes, that's a fact. Everything else is pure theory."
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:02 am

Bruce states the Chinese player was a strategic signing and then immediately shifted focus to the abundance of locals we have playing.

Chen will not be good enough to play first team football this season. If he does it will be a decision from higher up.

If he is sitting on the bench to the detriment of a local it will be an outrage.

That said, there are hidden Chinese owners who are funding our club so I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

Crazy stuff though.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:46 am

The "sparkle" was not in Bruce's eyes in that last interview.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:52 am

We are for instance talking to several (Chinese media) parties who are interested in following the player (Chen) in his development in Australia.

“There would be a lot of interest, because football is a government policy in China and to promote and improve football they understand they need foreign help.
This is a fair point and potentially a future revenue stream for aufc.

Our own local business tend not to be willing to sponsor the club, perhaps some big sponsorship awaits us if we make a few sacrifices.

We have all been talking about the possibilities asian football brings sponsors, it seems the club have a unique approach to this.

Losing that visa spot hurts, but if it generates some income in the future and we are able to sign some genuine marquees none of us will mind.

Chen will be playing youth team so he wont be taking the spot of a kid about to make his debut.

Also its been revealed gertjan didnt want a cb, electing to stick with the youth as back up.

I remain undecided about the chinese signing, if the sponsorship and money follows in coming years translating into big signings then IMO its a fair trade. Time will tell.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:53 am

It's one spot and the club are doing something different with it. Keep an eye on it sure but it will be an opportunity for a local kid. CB is maybe a bit rough of of a spot to throw a young kid but that's where the senior players step up and help them.
It's an idea, new ideas are good so let's see what happens. Just pretend it's still Baba sitting on the treatment table!
If Isaias became available (or similar), it frees up him returning by being able to send Chen back more easily, get angry if the club didn't do that if that eventuated then sure.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:43 am

Isa is an Aussie so he can come back any ol time

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”