Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:30 pm

With Kitto re-signed, we now have no players out of contract.

Bring on the new signings!
Goody?
Not really counting him or Brook as they were loanees.
I wonder what Brook's sitch is. Wouldn't mind him for another year.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:06 am

Goody?

Hurts me to say it with Lachlan being a Gawler boy, but I'd take Halloran over him any day of the week.

Just not enough end product for someone who has received the level of coaching he's had.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:45 pm

Goody?

Hurts me to say it with Lachlan being a Gawler boy, but I'd take Halloran over him any day of the week.

Just not enough end product for someone who has received the level of coaching he's had.

He's 21. At the same age Goody had been cut by AU and Heart and was in the last chance saloon at Newy.
EdDog

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:08 pm

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd definitely want Halloran over Brook but Brook is a prospect.

Only 21 but he's been to England, U-23 Asian Cup and played a couple seasons in the A-League.

Future is bright.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:32 am

Goody?

He's 21. At the same age Goody had been cut by AU and Heart and was in the last chance saloon at Newy.

The difference being that Craig had been playing mostly part time at NPL level at that stage, working at KFC to pay the rent.

Lachie has been receiving full time training with a club that has risen to the best league in the world, with all the benefits that would entail.

Not really a valid comparison imo.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:53 am

Its a good point Martin, they're not 100% like-for-like. In truth I'm a sucker for potential, especially when local.

A lot of clubs seem to be strengthening, Nani, Charlie Austin, Beevers, Ngbakoto and so on. On the one hand, I like our stability we were top4 side after all, on the other hand are we getting left behind?
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:31 pm

Its a good point Martin, they're not 100% like-for-like. In truth I'm a sucker for potential, especially when local.

A lot of clubs seem to be strengthening, Nani, Charlie Austin, Beevers, Ngbakoto and so on. On the one hand, I like our stability we were top4 side after all, on the other hand are we getting left behind?
It's why the departures of Mo and Kusini hurt so much as you'd expect them to go up another level this year.

I guess we have Bernado, Nestory, Popa who will be a year more experienced but agree we need to add some quality.

Halloran would be a welcome addition.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:44 pm

I'd welcome Ben back in a heartbeat. Genuine class and a team player. And that's where I see we might have a little bit of an issue. I think Carl doesn't like young players who get above themselves and who don't have the Whyalla work ethic. They destabilise other young players and they don't produce the results they imagine they do. And I imagine they annoy some of the real pros who do deliver and don't wank on about it.
Now, I love team stability and I think CV has delivered way beyond what could reasonably be expected - but - ego is part of the game and I'm not sure I like losing all the smart-arse young-guns who think they're the next Messi/Ronaldo/whoever.
I think Yengi is a huge loss. Toure....maybe. Those lads have such incredible potential but they're very fond of themselves. I won't mind if they come back humbled and ready to rebuild with us. If they do!
Football is not a 'nice' game and Carl is not a 'nice' coach. He's tough. But he was a forward and he should know ego and flair are needed, even if they drive you mad. The difference for us will always be one or two precocious talents who we manage to put up with while they find their wings. We can't buy the league - and we can't win it without risking team cohesion by remaining patient with young lads who have no real idea. Bernado is probably grounded by his dad. Popa seems genuinely sensible. Nestory....we'll see.
But of course, all this is pure conjecture. That's why it's on a forum! :)
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:37 pm

Carl played Yengi in the crucial finals games and gave him a big vote of confidence. He wanted him to stay, voiced it in press conferences and we offered him a new deal.

I wouldn't expect Carl to be much involved with the actual offer process after that.

I expect we just didn't have the funds to match WSW and Yengi probably wanted to play for a club with BDE, even though WSW are an absolute basket case and probably will be for another few seasons.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:53 am

One other aspect for young players leaving which enables us to not be so hard on the club is, that I'm certain a lot of kids who come thru the ranks realise once they hit A-L level there is a very strong chance their chosen career will enable them to travel and see the world. I'm sure someone like Yengi would jump at the chance to live near Bondi which is probably part of the lure to play in Sydney. Same as Toure who is now living half way between Paris and Belgium. I think you offer that to young adults with little holding them back in the way of financial or family commitments and you'll see a lot take the opportunity up.
Time to Djbate!
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:08 pm

Hall signed a 3 year scholarship deal.

All we need now is Goodwin, Halloran and/or Brook and a backup striker.
sub007

Postby sub007 Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:15 pm

17 year olds Luka Jovanovic and Panashe Madanha have signed two year scholarship deals.

Jovanovic is a striker while Madanha is a winger.

I suspect this means we won’t be getting another striker.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:07 am

Both have been amongst the goals this NPL season with Jovanovic AU's top scorer in the NPL. From the names I recognise he's the youngest of the NPL SA top 10 goal scorers. I'm more than happy to see kids rewarded with a contract after a quality local season.

I just hope there are plans on a drawing board to ensure these kids are given more game time somehow once the NPL season finishes.
Time to Djbate!
offshorejack
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby offshorejack Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:01 pm

is the national youth league concept dead?

I see they changed the name to “A-League Youth” under the rebrand; apart from that, it seems nothing has been publicly stated about its existence, since the 2019–2020 season

did they kill it with covid and then hope no one would notice when it didn’t return?
sub007

Postby sub007 Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:35 pm

is the national youth league concept dead?

I see they changed the name to “A-League Youth” under the rebrand; apart from that, it seems nothing has been publicly stated about its existence, since the 2019–2020 season

did they kill it with covid and then hope no one would notice when it didn’t return?
I think they intend on bringing it back at some point.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”