Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Reds United
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Reds United Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:57 am

I think that we should sign Mile Jedinak. I know that he will be Macarthur FC's player next season, but he is well into his thirties and needs to play until he can join MFC. Jedinak can fill the defensive midfield role for a season while United find that top class midfielder or Louis D'Arrigo steps up and makes that position his own.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:13 pm

How much is Jedinak asking? And do you have that sort of money to put in?
Reds United

Postby Reds United Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:17 pm

otto62, this was just a recommendation because of the talk that there are not many Aussie defensive midfielders available and not my first choice option. It is also because our last visa spot is going to a Chinese player. It is both in the club's interests as well as Mile's as he has not been able to find a club since Aston Villa released him. The bonus for United is that he can slip into the centre back position if needed and that he can mentor the promising talent that is Louis D'Arrigo. I realise that Jedinak's contract demands may be high, but it would only be for one season.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:32 pm

otto62, this was just a recommendation because of the talk that there are not many Aussie defensive midfielders available and not my first choice option. It is also because our last visa spot is going to a Chinese player. It is both in the club's interests as well as Mile's as he has not been able to find a club since Aston Villa released him. The bonus for United is that he can slip into the centre back position if needed and that he can mentor the promising talent that is Louis D'Arrigo. I realise that Jedinak's contract demands may be high, but it would only be for one season.
Pretty much this.

Given we lost Isa, Goody, Baba, Jordy, Ilso, Galloway, AP and Kristin Konstandopoulos (scholarship) and only signed Maria, McGree, Opseth while Yengi and Toure were signed on scholarship deals, we should be able to spend a fair bit of coin. The club has said that we will spend more than we have ever spent before and we should have a marquee spot free as well.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:38 pm

It makes perfect sense, we need coverage at DM and CB.
I'm not a fan on old, out-of-towners but this one probably works nicely.

It's either that or throw the kids in there like Greek Christmas at Henley Beach Jetty.
sub007

Postby sub007 Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:40 pm

Would I like Isaias MkII? Sure, but we were never going to get a replacement player of his ability. We were lucky to have Isaias. He was one-of-a-kind.

I also think it’s too soon to write off Boland as our CDM. It also shows a clear intent to attack, as Boland does push higher than Isaias. I’m happy with that.
I don’t think anyone expects a replacement of Isa’s ability but we absolutely must find a quality replacement, even if he isn’t as good as Isaias. Failure to find a replacement is completely unacceptable by the club, especially as they stated they they want to finish top 3 every season.

As for Boland at DM, him pushing up higher than Isa is all the more reason for him not to play there. Our midfield is unbalanced and desperately needs someone to anchor it and provide protection to the back 4.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:54 pm

I would be happy if we signed Jedinak and Troisi. A few Aussie CDMs moved around this off season, we seemed to miss them all.

I wonder if Piet is waiting to see if we can find Aussies to fill our "weak" spots and if we can't, maybe use the spot on someone other than a Chinese player and defer that plan until we offload a current visa player in January/next off season.

I like the idea of a young Chinese player to showcase and then sell for profit but if it's causing our coach and technical director to say that we need an extra visa spot in the league, maybe it isn't viable at this point in time.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:40 pm

I would be happy if we signed Jedinak and Troisi. A few Aussie CDMs moved around this off season, we seemed to miss them all.

I wonder if Piet is waiting to see if we can find Aussies to fill our "weak" spots and if we can't, maybe use the spot on someone other than a Chinese player and defer that plan until we offload a current visa player in January/next off season.

I like the idea of a young Chinese player to showcase and then sell for profit but if it's causing our coach and technical director to say that we need an extra visa spot in the league, maybe it isn't viable at this point in time.
You could be right.

I would have thought management would have a deep understanding of chinese players in their stable and whoever would be in line to play here would already have been training with the squad.

Its entirely possible the owners are willing to shelve the chinese visa for the short term and use it on a DM if we have no other options.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Reds United

Postby Reds United Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:44 pm

OMG. I just heard some gossip that United have been working on a swap deal with Carlo Armiento going to the Central Coast and that ex-Red, Jacob Melling joins Adelaide. I pray that this is not true, Jacob Melling is definitely not the right man for the defensive midfield position. He is a pretty ordinary player and that is putting it politely. I would rather play Louis D'Arrigo. who is a quality player despite his lack of A-League experience. He is good enough for the Australian Under 23 team, so just give him the opportunity if we can't sign a class defensive midfielder. The club really should postpone the idea of a Chinese visa player and recruit someone decent ( Mile Jedinak/ Jack Rodwell?) to replace Isaias.
Last edited by Reds United on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
sub007

Postby sub007 Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:21 pm

OMG. I just heard some gossip that United have been working on a swap deal with Carlo Armiento going to the Central Coast and that ex-Red, Jacob Melling joins Adelaide. I pray that this is not true, Jacob Melling is definitely not the right man for the defensive midfield position. He is a pretty ordinary player and that is putting it politely. I would rather play Louis D'Arrigo. who is a quality player despite his lack of A-League experience. He is good enough for the Australian Under 23 team, so just give him the opportunity if we can't sign a class defensive midfielder. The club really should postpone the idea of a Chinese visa player and recruit someone decent ( Mile Jedinak?) to replace Isaias with that visa spot.
I really hope this isn’t true.

Melling isn’t close to starting XI quality and is a downgrade on what we already have.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:29 pm

I don't love it but Melling is a tough nut. Armiento is the most over rated of our youth and Melling is still only 24.

Only two issues for me:
- We're light on for the left side and I recall Armiento being left footed
- Carlo with a good year behind him is more likely to attract a sale than Melling.

Wouldn't mind loaning out Armiento to CCM tbh.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:45 pm

Isaac Richards starting ahead of Margus.

3 'strikers'

No Boland in the match day squad

2 out of 4 Visa players not in the squad
sub007

Postby sub007 Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:49 pm

Isaac Richards starting ahead of Margus.

3 'strikers'

No Boland in the match day squad

2 out of 4 Visa players not in the squad
Boland and Maria are injured.
Jumbinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hugene

Postby Jumbinho Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Surely there has to be someone floating around in the NPL that is better than Jacob Melling.

Would prefer to pass on our own sloppy seconds.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:55 pm

Melling could be a fantastic acquisition if his role is to close down the lanes and protect the back 4.

If we want a dm with amazing distribution then he is not our guy.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”