Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby mcjules Sat May 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Kovacevic was on Soccer on 531 this morning, talked for about 30 minutes and it was pretty insightful. Fortunately I happened to be recording it so I thought I'd share :)
Ghost
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sat May 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Guys ... Margush is only 19 years old. It wouldn't be the worst thing for him to keep riding the pine / playing NYL and learning from Sir Eugene and Izzo.
NYL is a joke, and he probably would not get any senior game time at all if they are both there which will only hinder his development. If I was Margush I would be looking at other options if Galekovic signs as staying at Adelaide would be a waste of time considering he has already showed he is not out classed at A-league level. Richards is also coming through and should be playing NYL as well as NPL.
I am Scott
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sat May 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Guys ... Margush is only 19 years old. It wouldn't be the worst thing for him to keep riding the pine / playing NYL and learning from Sir Eugene and Izzo.
NYL is a joke, and he probably would not get any senior game time at all if they are both there which will only hinder his development. If I was Margush I would be looking at other options if Galekovic signs as staying at Adelaide would be a waste of time considering he has already showed he is not out classed at A-league level. Richards is also coming through and should be playing NYL as well as NPL.
Yeah exactly. Once an AU player signs a HAL contract (or plays 10 HAL game I think) they can't play for the AU NPL side anymore. Which means unless Margush is lucky enough to get a couple of matches from Izzo being injured or suspended he's looking at maybe 10 games of football next season.
There is no development pathway.
Time to Djbate!
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sat May 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Yeah exactly. Once an AU player signs a HAL contract (or plays 10 HAL game I think) they can't play for the AU NPL side anymore. Which means unless Margush is lucky enough to get a couple of matches from Izzo being injured or suspended he's looking at maybe 10 games of football next season.
At least with only Izzo ahead of him he might get some games, but if both are ahead of him the likelihood of a game is only insignificantly more than zero, even though he did make his debut as third choice and played this season from third choice. Izzo or Galekovic are better than Hall and are not going away on national duty.
Also on Margush being only 19, so what, Ryan was playing the same age or younger. Any real goalkeeping talent should be playing in the A-league very early as the A-league is not very good.
I am Scott
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun May 21, 2017 9:34 pm

RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Mon May 22, 2017 6:53 am

Kovacevic was on Soccer on 531 this morning, talked for about 30 minutes and it was pretty insightful. Fortunately I happened to be recording it so I thought I'd share :)
Great interview, thanks for putting it up.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon May 22, 2017 7:46 am

At least with only Izzo ahead of him he might get some games, but if both are ahead of him the likelihood of a game is only insignificantly more than zero, even though he did make his debut as third choice and played this season from third choice. Izzo or Galekovic are better than Hall and are not going away on national duty.
Also on Margush being only 19, so what, Ryan was playing the same age or younger. Any real goalkeeping talent should be playing in the A-league very early as the A-league is not very good.
I think that would be true if the HAL had more teams with only 10 spots for a keeper to be a permanent starter the reality is that good players will miss out and have the wait their turn. As a result the standard of keeping in the HAL could be higher IMO.
I think using Mat Ryan as an example is a bit harsh on the kids as he is the best keeper Australia has.
I think this notion of just expecting kids to being HAL standard from the start of their careers is very unfair on those players and as there is bugger all pathways or games for these developing HAL players to take part in besides HAL football. (I'm not saying you're the only person that thinks this way, that's really how the system is currently set up for these kids.)
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon May 22, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks for putting that up mate.

Very interesting it would be great if we could hear from him more often.
It's interesting that he never brought up the club's injury crisis at the start of the season. Whether that's something he didn't want to use as an excuse or he didn't think to say that.

He said Ochieng appears to be signing very soon which is good news.

I'm excited by the talk that the club is keen on an experienced coach which would suggest the club's first choice wouldn't be Batistuta.
Time to Djbate!
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Mon May 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks for putting that up mate.

Very interesting it would be great if we could hear from him more often.
It's interesting that he never brought up the club's injury crisis at the start of the season. Whether that's something he didn't want to use as an excuse or he didn't think to say that.

He said Ochieng appears to be signing very soon which is good news.

I'm excited by the talk that the club is keen on an experienced coach which would suggest the club's first choice wouldn't be Batistuta.
Think it's just due to the lack of media here covering the game. FiveAA and TripleM have some coverage but it's usually 1 10-15 minute segment a week. Soccer on 531, though run by volunteers does a pretty good job and has much more time for this sort of thing. Unfortunately it's tucked away on an italian community station and easy to miss.

I thought everything he said was pretty reasonable, the only frustration is the same one I've had for a while which is there's too much waiting on having a head coach in place. We should have been in a much better position right now on that front.
Stuckey

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Stuckey Mon May 22, 2017 1:52 pm

I thought everything he said was pretty reasonable, the only frustration is the same one I've had for a while which is there's too much waiting on having a head coach in place. We should have been in a much better position right now on that front.
Totally agree. The club really is at a cross road right now and I think with better management they wouldn't be.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue May 23, 2017 11:10 am

From the ever un-reliable SST.

I think he'd be a very handy pick up.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue May 23, 2017 2:37 pm

Not super keen on having foreign CBs.

Would be another La Rocca saga.

I mean, he's good and all. Just an Aussie would do.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby bpowell454 Tue May 23, 2017 3:36 pm

Not keen. Plays like a grub. He'd get 5 red cards a season at a non sydney or melbourne club.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue May 23, 2017 4:21 pm

How is La Rocca a saga?
The bloke played a massive role in the double.
He had a couple of shocking games, that's all.

I understand though what you're saying about foreign CBs tho.
I think there is a large enough difference between a foreign defender such as Baro or La Rocca and someone like Regan. If you compare La Rocca's stats to Regan's this season La Rocca has significantly better tackle success and passing success. IMO to get the technical quality of a Baro or La Rocca from an Australian means a club would probably have to sign a fringe Socceroo. Which means the club is competing with Big Asian and lower tier European clubs. Which is a battle a club like AU would lose 9 times of out 10.
A foreign CB may not be the headline signing we all want to see. But it's certainly not a silly one IMO.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue May 23, 2017 4:39 pm

He's an Aussie! Now the club just needs to get him to agree to a pay per goal or assist contract and they'll be laughing!
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”