Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Rojos
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Rojos Wed May 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Dylan McGowan - Would love to keep but he's off to Portugal and I don't begrudge him. Hope he returns in 5-6 years to finish things off, a club champion.

Sergio Cirio - Could never regain initial form, May still have something to offer but at his age and being foreign I back the move to let him go.

George Mells - What should have been, never found any form, his salmonella didn't help. Apparently is heading to Europe, genuinely wish him luck.

John Hall - Margush passed him, hopefully we hold Eugene as the backup and coach with Izzo no 1

Jesse Makarounas - Absolute shocker, hope he's replaced with a local.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Wed May 17, 2017 7:10 pm

I think it is an absolute disgrace that Cirio has been tossed aside like a bag of rubbish, he wanted to stay and should have been given a contract. He was our best winger by a mile and gave his all this year even when being played as a lone striker. I don't think he is easily replaced. I cannot see why any fan would be happy with this decision.

Of the others McGowan is a big loss but he was always leaving, the club did well to get an extra year out of him. This season was a disaster for Mells with illness and the emergence of McGree and O'Doherty limiting his chances. Hall did not do well enough when he played and Makarounas was terrible.
I am Scott
Ghost

Postby Ghost Wed May 17, 2017 7:13 pm

Mark Ochieng surely should be re-signed, he showed more than enough in the two games he played a full back to say he is good enough to play on either fullback position, as well as either wing. This kind of flexibility is great to have in a limited sized squad such as the A-league
I am Scott
BenAD
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Postby BenAD Wed May 17, 2017 7:14 pm

The fact the others are still in negotiation means there must be some intent on both sides to work something out. It will be all up to if the money and role is adequate (and I guess if they get a much better off elsewhere).

I too was surprised we got another year out of McGowan, he was always going to head off. Cirio is a shame, he was a great servant, but I wasn't 100 convinced we could afford both him and carrusca next season, both are getting older, injuries getting a bit more common and then take time to get back right. If we had to lose one, I would prefer to lose Cirio, given in mind Carrusca should be an australian citizen.

But I am not yet concerned with us not having signed our whole squad as we get out coach sorted before we resume training and have our squad pretty much done (at least all visa signings) by mid july.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Wed May 17, 2017 7:22 pm

The fact the others are still in negotiation means there must be some intent on both sides to work something out. It will be all up to if the money and role is adequate (and I guess if they get a much better off elsewhere).

I too was surprised we got another year out of McGowan, he was always going to head off. Cirio is a shame, he was a great servant, but I wasn't 100 convinced we could afford both him and carrusca next season, both are getting older, injuries getting a bit more common and then take time to get back right. If we had to lose one, I would prefer to lose Cirio, given in mind Carrusca should be an australian citizen.

But I am not yet concerned with us not having signed our whole squad as we get out coach sorted before we resume training and have our squad pretty much done (at least all visa signings) by mid july.
Unlike Carrusca, Cirio was not getting more injury prone, his only injuries were from bad tackles.

Carrusca and Cirio were in completely different situations. Cirio was still our best winger, Carrusca was arguably not in our best XI let alone being our best midfielder. Cirio gave his all this season, Carrusca clearly did not for a lot of the season before left out of the ACL squad which seemed to wake him up. Cirio was inside the cap, Carrusca was on marquee wages.

Cirio was simply the better player with a better attitude and on significantly less money this last season. Not even close.
I am Scott
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Cirio is going.
Still a good player and in my starting 11 when fit.
That knee attack injury in the first game against Brisbane set the tone for his final season.
His experience will be missed.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby bpowell454 Wed May 17, 2017 7:51 pm

Unlike Carrusca, Cirio was not getting more injury prone, his only injuries were from bad tackles.

Carrusca and Cirio were in completely different situations. Cirio was still our best winger, Carrusca was arguably not in our best XI let alone being our best midfielder. Cirio gave his all this season, Carrusca clearly did not for a lot of the season before left out of the ACL squad which seemed to wake him up. Cirio was inside the cap, Carrusca was on marquee wages.

Cirio was simply the better player with a better attitude and on significantly less money this last season. Not even close.
Agree. Cirio ran and ran and ran all game. His biggest downfall this season was his finishing and I think that was down to confidence. Playing out of position constantly and his injuries probably ruined season imo.

He will probably regain confidence at a new club and will do well again. I will be very disappointed if his replacements are below his standard.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Thu May 18, 2017 8:14 am

We better not be signing Mitch Nichols, I hope he is banned for life.
I am Scott
Baresi79
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isias

Postby Baresi79 Thu May 18, 2017 8:25 am

Should never have lost Cirio. Sure his finishing sucked this year but his character and work rate could not be questioned. A great servant of the club and we will struggle to find a better winger.

The rest are not big losses.

I just want to see us sign a coach by the end of the month.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 am

We need a coach asap so players currently in negotiations can be signed or not signed. I think there's a few on that list that I would like to see stay.

Sad to see Cirio go.

Never looks like scoring these days but still gave 100% and had experience.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Thu May 18, 2017 10:39 am

Of the seven whose future is undecided I would definitely sign Ochieng and Marino. The rest I am not too sure about.
Why sign both Izzo and Galekovic with Margush also signed?
Carrusca could be handy as an Aussie but he was hugely disappointing for most of this season and it might be better to sign someone younger who can be around the club for a number of years
La Rocca was terrible this last season but he could be very good again next season. Certainly does not deserve a new contract on recent form but I would not be too unhappy if he stayed.
Kim is a good midfielder but getting on his age and perhaps a bit younger player would be better, still a risk that the new player will not match his ability.
Babalj is a bit of a risk, he has not shown a great deal in his playing time and is coming back from injury. Perhaps with a full preseason he will be a lot better. Leaning towards giving him another year.
I am Scott
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu May 18, 2017 11:00 am

Dylan McGowan - Young, ambitious and getting better and better. Can't begrudge him wanting to take the next step, glad we had him for as long as we did.

Sergio Cirio - Would have liked him to stay.

George Mells - Still very young but a squaddy at best for us so I agree with letting him go. Fair to say the other young'uns took their chances and he never really imposed himself. Good luck with the next move - plenty of time to carve out a strong career!

John Hall - Agree with Rojos, it was between him and Margush, and he was the unlucky one.

Jesse Makarounas - Did a job at times, not as terrible as people make him out to be. We have always had a sort of 'filler' player like this (e.g. Dugandzic) - but yeah, this is a role that can be filled by a younger local player.

Eugene Galekovic - Would definitely keep, on a reduced (playing) wage and with a big coaching component to his duties. Captain Fantastic, super loyal & the heart of the club.

Iacopo La Rocca - I am 50/50 on this one. He's not been the consistent force McGowan has, and he's a bit prone to dumb errors, but if there are no top-notch CBs we could bring in without breaking the bank I would be OK with keeping him. Otherwise we have only have Elsey (still recovering, who know's what he's going to break next) and Warland (young, green, still not convinced he's very good) as options to partner Super Reeeeeeegzzzzz

Marcelo Carrusca - Keep. He's still magic, he wants to stay, and he got himself back in form as the season went on.

Mark Ochieng - Yeah, keep. He's not a standout at the moment I don't think, but super versatile (and who knows, could be on the verge of a breakout season). Tarek Jr.

Marc Marino - Who knows. I still don't feel I've seen enough of him to judge.

Eli Babalj - Enigmatic. Put him in the gym all off season and starve him before the game so he hits the pitch hungry. If he's not asking for too much I'd keep him as a backup striker, so long as there is no option to sign a superstar (like getting Brucey back or something).

Looking back on that, with most of the players I'm pretty much on the fence. It will all depend on the new coach and how well he's able to mould the team into a fighting unit again.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Thu May 18, 2017 11:27 am

We need a coach asap so players currently in negotiations can be signed or not signed. I think there's a few on that list that I would like to see stay.

Sad to see Cirio go.

Never looks like scoring these days but still gave 100% and had experience.
He was just starting to score again, two goals in the ACL campaign to be equal top scorer with Diawara including that very nice finish in the game against Gamba, his second last game for us. His lack of scoring was a problem but one that looked like it might have been changing.
I am Scott
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu May 18, 2017 12:28 pm

Holland and Kruse have terminated their contracts with Liaoning.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Thu May 18, 2017 12:36 pm

We've done the Holland experiment already and can't see him doing anything more with us if given another chance. We have McGree and O'Doherty as better midfield options now.

As for Kruse… idk

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”