Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Jessesdad
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Jessesdad Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:19 pm

One of the sad things about a small forum is the way that people are sometimes treated if they don't agree with the common consensus. Kristijan may not be right or even very logical in relation to some of his comments but it's a discussion board and some of the responses to his opinion are hardly likely to endear anyone else new from joining in. Just saying.
I have to disagree with you there.

This forum has to be one of the most tolerant and open minded football forums around.

I do understand your point and we should debate with respect but the very nature of a forum is to discuss ideas you do and do not agree with.

If people are here to be “right” rather than discuss and debate and appreciate football then they probably wont last long here.

Btw when are you going to start doing blogs again?! Some of the best opinion pieces i have read about AUFC came from you on 442!
Cheers Shin, it's been so long since I blogged that I'd hardly remember how. I'm still at every home game and I read this board regularly. Life is probably fuller and more complicated than when I found time for 442. And, of course I was flattered to be on a national site. I was going to blog for this site but things didn't fall together that way. The occasional long post is about the best I can even manage.

I take your point re tolerance but I stand by my response in this instance. I wish there were more regular and engaged voices here. I appreciate the tenor of most of the discussion and maybe I'm too sensitive but any small forum has issues with either conscious or unconscious 'approval'. Here is not different. But cred to all the mods for keeping it going and stepping in when you need to, We can't always agree about everything.
BenAD
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Postby BenAD Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm

Personally, I am pretty happy with our squad or maybe I am just happy we had a full squad at the start of July, which hasn't happened for quite a while. If you look around the other clubs, there are many with huge holes, where as our team can start to gel already and not have the usual slow start we seem to make.

I feel we should only bring in non Adelaide players if they are a genuine step above a local player, whether overseas or interstate. But it is important that the young kids do have someone who plays their position to learn from and Kurz has shown he is more then happy to throw the kids out there and let them take a first eleven place.

If we have got Halloran, I hope it doesn't prevent the youngsters getting a go, but if Millensuics injury is somewhat serious, I can understand them wanting to cover that with an experienced player. In the end if he is keen to fight for the club, willing to help the youngsters and provides competition for spots, then it is all a positive.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:08 am

I don't see any problem with the young SA lads waiting, training, learning from better players. Even if we have 5 wingers, the opportunity will still come for our SA youngsters if they're patient. Most likely we'll have injuries and they'll get their chance. Some won't wait and we'll lose them interstate, but I don't mind that. If they're good enough they can force their way into the team as they pick up to HAL standard.

I'm very happy with how the squad is shaping up.
Hammerzeit

Postby Hammerzeit Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:42 am

Any combination of one footed Halloran, Goodwin, Mileusnic bringing pace and pace and pace on the wings, big Baba or big George up front. Marco is a fan of the throwback football eh?

They are all a-league quality, yes, but anyone concerned it’s all a little one-dimensional?
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:02 am

Any combination of one footed Halloran, Goodwin, Mileusnic bringing pace and pace and pace on the wings, big Baba or big George up front. Marco is a fan of the throwback football eh?

They are all a-league quality, yes, but anyone concerned it’s all a little one-dimensional?
They do say "the best plan B is to make plan A better"

Not sure how its throwback football though, more so playing to our strengths. Last year our crossing was largely awful so why not fix it.

The interest lies with Ilso and Boland, we haven't seen much of them yet so we dont quite know what they'll bring
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:43 am

Yeah I will suspend judgement on our style until I see it (+ new signings) in action. Is Ilso a genuine #10 we can play through? (is Boland...? Konstandopoulos...?)

Also I have a feeling we'll see more of Stamatelopoulos than Blackwood this season. Stama seems to be imposing in a way that Blackwood isn't ... like, I reckon Blackwood is a natural talent but shrinks a bit from pressure (a la Babalj), while Stama will be all hustle and bustle even when things aren't going his way (a la Djite).
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Kristijan
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Craig Goodwin

Postby Kristijan Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:58 am

I am not sure whether Blackwood was not strong enough last season or just did not like the physical stuff but he always seemed to be happy playing from behind. Either way it was not good enough, hopefully he can improve this area as he would become a much better player very quickly. Otherwise he might was well try and become a winger.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:30 am

George doesn't have the aggression yet, he needs to get that into his game.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:38 am

I don't see any problem with the young SA lads waiting, training, learning from better players. Even if we have 5 wingers, the opportunity will still come for our SA youngsters if they're patient. Most likely we'll have injuries and they'll get their chance. Some won't wait and we'll lose them interstate, but I don't mind that. If they're good enough they can force their way into the team as they pick up to HAL standard.

I'm very happy with how the squad is shaping up.
I'm usually championing the promotion of SA youth, but in the instance of Halloran I think it is a shrewd signing.

I don't really want random A-League journeymen with no connection to SA joining our club (Mitch Nicholls, Corey Gamiero etc) I thought the signing of Vince Lia was a really poor one.

We've seen what Mileusnic can do, and it's not quite there. I'd like to see Mileusnic coming off the bench with his pace and being forced to earn his spot in the XI.

Halloran for 2 years and then Brook will be ready.
Kristijan
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Craig Goodwin

Postby Kristijan Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:00 am

Halloran and Brook play different positions
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:03 am

I thought the signing of Vince Lia was a really poor one.
2 thunderbolts against Melbourne Victory should be worth a contract for life, IMO
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:46 am

It is something akin to that, a bit hungrier, especially when we are not in possession. One of Bruce Djite's great strengths was his ability to harangue the defenders which put them off and resulted in some wayward distributions and subsequent turn-overs. George is certainly big enough to make controlled aggression work in his favour.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm

It is something akin to that, a bit hungrier, especially when we are not in possession. One of Bruce Djite's great strengths was his ability to harangue the defenders which put them off and resulted in some wayward distributions and subsequent turn-overs. George is certainly big enough to make controlled aggression work in his favour.
I think blackwoods strengths Is his height and his ability to hold the ball up and bring others into the game.

Last season the crossing was poor and he was always isolated.

I think his strengths are similar to djite in that he offers little to an out of form team but can offer quite a bit to a positive inform team.

We havnt had a striker who can grind out a goal since jeronimo, although stama looks like he may be of similar style.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:44 pm

So what's the story with Halloran ?
Is he still coming or not ? Or has Kristijan been sending him hate mail to put him off ? :wink:
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:51 pm

As far as i know it was a rumour only shared on goal.com

I have no doubt aufc abd other clubs have enquired about him given he is a free agent.

Afaik mabils future is also up in the air asking his club if he can leave if they plan on loaning him again.

Imo it unlikely to be a reality given no other websites have picked up the rumour.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”