Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedRebel
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby RedRebel Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Izzo's a bit of question mark for me but apart from that we seem to have a strong spine
We do have Margush to rotate Izzo with, he looked very promising in his limted opportunities so far.
Yep I'm happy to have both of them just that they're still both relatively young and prone to a brainfade every now and then. It will cost us some points this year but I'm ok with that.
Let's be honest, Eugene was costing points last season anyway.
leeds4eva
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby leeds4eva Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:56 pm

Very happy with our manager Kurz, looks to be a very focused coach who would demand a high standard from the players, probably where Amor fell short at times as he seemed a bit too soft and happy just to plod along in the same old fashion regardless of whether it was working or not.

There's a great bunch of foreigners at the club now with Isaias, Diawara, Absalonsen and now Matmour plus the class signing of Gulum. A very good mix of experienced players who have played at the top level, alongside our strong youth prospects which the club has a great habit of producing.

All in all things look like they are on the up and with one more foreigner to come, (hopefully a quality number 10 playmaker) and possibly re-sign Carrusca as a backup or on a pay per play basis and we should be right in contention!
"The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes, that's a fact. Everything else is pure theory."
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:33 pm

I think I have worked out AU's recruitment strategy. And I actually think it's a good one, particularly for our club with limited financial resources:

1. Recruit an experienced overseas coach with good connections.

2. Use said coach's connections to sign 5 quality foreigners for a fraction of the price that similar quality Australians would be worth (simple supply/demand).

3. Allow the Australian football department to present young/cheap/available/willing Aussies to coach and let him make a call on them.

4. Don't break the bank or get into a bidding war for premium Aussie talent that we will always have to pay overs for (being a non-East Coast club).

Win league.

Repeat.

Yes!
Sounds good to me!
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Capac

Postby Capac Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:46 pm

One thing I'm not sure as been noted is the information in the statement regarding the final visa signing
“Now we have one foreign position left in the team and we will take our time in finding the right player for this place in the squad.
“The European transfer window closes at the end of August and this provides us with more options because European clubs have completed their squads."
So looks like it's going to be a bit of time until we see that last signing. Wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait till mid to late September.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:06 pm

So we have so far
Galekovic -> Izzo
McGowan -> Gulum
La Rocca -> Elsey (effectively as he was injured all last season)
McGree -> Lia
Mells -> Brook
Makarounas -> Konstandopoulos
Cirio -> Absalonsen
Kim -> Matmour (a mismatch in position but both visa players)
Marino -> Blackwood
Carrusca -> final visa player
Babalj ->
Hall ->
Miluesnic was a mature aged rookie last season so unless we sign another one we lose a spot on the squad.

I don't think we have any marquees signed now so we can theoretically spend big to replace Carrusca.

I am not sure whether Marino is any chance of another contract especially after scoring on Wednesday night which would throw the list out a bit.

Overall I am not sure we have improved the quality of player on paper but last season most players under performed so the team should be much better in practice with good coaching. Baba was a massive in season improvement last season and having him all season should help a lot.

Still the Carrusca replacement is key.

I am sort of hoping we promote at least one more NPL player as well as Brook to keep the youth development going.
I am Scott
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:14 pm

So we have so far
Galekovic -> Izzo
McGowan -> Gulum
McGree -> Lia
Mells -> Brook
Cirio -> Absalonsen
Marino -> Blackwood
Babalj ->
Hall ->
Miluesnic was a mature aged rookie last season so unless we sign another one we lose a spot on the squad.

I don't think we have any marquees signed now so we can theoretically spend big to replace Carrusca.

I am not sure whether Marino is any chance of another contract especially after scoring on Wednesday night which would throw the list out a bit.

Overall I am not sure we have improved the quality of player on paper but last season most players under performed so the team should be much better in practice with good coaching. Baba was a massive in season improvement last season and having him all season should help a lot.

I am sort of hoping we promote at least one more NPL player as well as Brook to keep the youth development going.
I think Matmour has been signed as a CAM predominantly that can also play any attacking position. The Visa player to come will be a winger from what I understand.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:18 pm

So we have so far
Galekovic -> Izzo
McGowan -> Gulum
McGree -> Lia
Mells -> Brook
Cirio -> Absalonsen
Marino -> Blackwood
Babalj ->
Hall ->

I think Matmour has been signed as a CAM predominantly that can also play any attacking position. The Visa player to come will be a winger from what I understand.
It might be true but it makes little sense. He is a right winger. Transfermarket is not 100% accurate and probably does not include every he has played especially off the bench but here is their summary of where he has played

RW 170 games
LW 32 games
Centre forward 37 games
RM 27 games
Secondary Striker 14 games
AM 8 games - 7 of the games in 2016 so quite recent but it is hardly any
LM 2 games
RB 1 game
https://www.transfermarkt.com/karim-mat ... eler/19385

I am not sure why you would be looking for a RW and AM/number 10 and recruit a RW as the AM/number 10.

In the clubs announcement of the signing it says "Matmour will serve as a versatile option for Boss, Marco Kurz, as he can also play anywhere across the front three."

My understanding is the front three means RW, LW and striker, the three positions Matmour has played most in his career.

Kurz also said "“And he can play every offensive position on the field"

Maybe Kruz was including AM/number 10 in that quote but he certainly is including RW and quite possibly did not mean AM/number 10.

http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/articl ... xwai19r06f

So from what I can see all the evidence points to Matmour being recruited to play on the RW or alongside Baba and perhaps fill in as LW or lone striker.
I am Scott
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:35 pm

You're probably right, i just assumed because the press releases called him a midfielder. I read it as a midfielder who can ALSO play any attacking position.

I guess we'll find out in the coming weeks lolImageImage
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:36 pm

Matmour could probably play all the attacking midfield positions.
He certainly has the skill set and experience points.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:44 pm

So with us reportedly signing another foreigner that will play AM / forward, what else do we need in our squad?

We won't see this signing until after the close of the transfer window (Aug 31).

I wonder if there is a plan to sign any more Aussies or if this 5th foreigner will complete our squad?
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:47 pm

So with us reportedly signing another foreigner that will play AM / forward, what else do we need in our squad?

We won't see this signing until after the close of the transfer window (Aug 31).

I wonder if there is a plan to sign any more Aussies or if this 5th foreigner will complete our squad?
I think maybe another mid as backup and a backup left wingback. I think we have our first XI and subs sorted after the next visa signing but if a mid gets injured and another gets suspended we look pretty thin there. Same with our wingbacks, if Marrone and Garrucio are both out for a game then we are looking at playing Elsey as a makeshift or something yuck like that.
EdDog

Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Yeah I wouldn't mind us having cover at wing back.

Although I think we have a pretty good midfield if this last foreigner can play there.

Isa, Lia, Konst, OD, Brook plus a foreigner might be enough.

Not sure if Matmour can also play there if needed?
bpowell454

Re: RE: Who's signed for next season

Postby bpowell454 Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Although I think we have a pretty good midfield if this last foreigner can play there.

I just think with injuries and suspensions throughout the season, I'd like to have 2 senior players in the midfield trio when possible. Nothing against OD, Brook and Konsta but they need the experience around them to help them grow.
Ghost

Re: RE: Who's signed for next season

Postby Ghost Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:55 pm

I just think with injuries and suspensions throughout the season, I'd like to have 2 senior players in the midfield trio when possible. Nothing against OD, Brook and Konsta but they need the experience around them to help them grow.
Matmour has played a few games in a central role so he could play there if really needed.

As far as wing back goes, Ocheing covers both left and right side but that would not help of both Marrone and Garuccio are missing. I am sure Gulum played LB a bit early in his career so could be played there as well although moving the main CB to LB might be problematic. Elsey has struggled at FB and should not be played there and I doubt Warland would do any better.
I am Scott
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:50 am

Fox reporting that we're about to make a signing announcement. Usually it's pretty significant when they do that.

Plot twist: we're finally announcing Blackwood.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”