Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby bpowell454 Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:29 am

It'll be interesting to see if the club are waiting to offer Chelo another contract after we make our last necessary signings, can't we sign him as an LB injury replacement for Elrich lol
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:35 pm

Our Australian player signings have been pretty woeful to date, its almost like the Aussie players know to steer clear of the club and especially the current board etc. It does make me wonder if this is the reason we sign foreign coaches, they don't know what culture they are walking into?

Our foreign signings to date have been good (Gulum on paper is good), but these last 2 imports need to be real quality. Our midfield most definitely looks pretty thin, and I really can't fathom how Carussca is not being considered especially as he is an Aussie. I still can't see AU competing with MV, SFC, WSW and City over the course of the season without a stronger squad.
MY understanding is Carrusca was offered a contract and he decided to not sign. It is Carrusca leaving the club rather than the club not wanting him.
I am Scott
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:08 am

Blackwood looked good against Newcastle.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:59 am

Adelaide United is delighted to announce the signing of French-born Algerian offensive midfielder Karim Matmour on a one-year deal.
Read more at http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/articl ... 32H4A45.99
spaceCowboy

Postby spaceCowboy Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:02 am

Nice signing!!!
Massive pedigree, with lots of experience. Looking forward to seeing this guys play.
We are UNITED, after all....
Bruuuuuuuuce
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Bruuuuuuuuce Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:27 am

Looks like a great signing. Has fantastic foot skills and glides past players at will.
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:36 am

Our import signings so far have been very good, Kurz clearly has good connections and reputation. the fact I know of Matmour and Gulum before they signed must be a good sign! :D
terry tibbs

Postby terry tibbs Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Lots of older players on short contracts. I'm hopeful but completely unconvinced at this stage
milan_7
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: McGree

Postby milan_7 Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Our Australian player signings have been pretty woeful to date, its almost like the Aussie players know to steer clear of the club and especially the current board etc. It does make me wonder if this is the reason we sign foreign coaches, they don't know what culture they are walking into?

Our foreign signings to date have been good (Gulum on paper is good), but these last 2 imports need to be real quality. Our midfield most definitely looks pretty thin, and I really can't fathom how Carussca is not being considered especially as he is an Aussie. I still can't see AU competing with MV, SFC, WSW and City over the course of the season without a stronger squad.
MY understanding is Carrusca was offered a contract and he decided to not sign. It is Carrusca leaving the club rather than the club not wanting him.
They offered him a very poor offer (apparently close to what Lia is now on) in March or something and that was that. He was keen to negotiate and still wants a contract, even going to the FFA Cup game last week but the club seemingly don't want him. Not going to lie I saw him walk past me at the Cup game with his son and it made me pretty sad seeing him still in the city, clearly wishing he was still on the pitch.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Lots of older players on short contracts. I'm hopeful but completely unconvinced at this stage
Sceptic !!!

These guys all have massive pedigree and over a long period of time. But I too have some trepidation as to how they'll adapt but if it comes off we will have a good squad
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:28 pm

I'm not on twitter, can someone ask her if she will now be playing WOMAD?

https://twitter.com/manelfilali?lang=en
EdDog

Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Feels like it's going to be a bang or bust year without much longevity.

I think this singing is good. However at 32 we will need to get something out of him immediately (same with Johan really)

Would like to see the final signing be a bit younger and on a longer deal - bit like Baba.
Last edited by EdDog on Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:54 pm

They offered him a very poor offer (apparently close to what Lia is now on) in March or something and that was that. He was keen to negotiate and still wants a contract, even going to the FFA Cup game last week but the club seemingly don't want him. Not going to lie I saw him walk past me at the Cup game with his son and it made me pretty sad seeing him still in the city, clearly wishing he was still on the pitch.
He only deserves a low offer after last season, he displayed a very poor attitude a lot of the time and did not play well in most of the games he played. If he feels the offer is beneath him then he does not have to sign, that is his decision but HE has chosen not to sign and therefore has left the club. It is Carrusca's fault he is not at the club.
I am Scott
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:09 pm

So if Marcelo was on say 700k a season as marquee and the club then offers him 6oK, that would be all his fault in not accepting that would it?

AU do have a bit of a track record of low balling players and then blaming them when they don't sign and move on, its pretty easy for Mayer and Co to then claim "oh but we offered a contract".

Because if we really want to based everything on last season, pretty much the entire squad was garbage and should all be on 60K.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Matmour seems to be a decent signing. Age, at 32, is a bit of a concern, also he has not played since last December. Not sure if injured or was just left out of the 1860 side. On big plus is, while he seems to be primarily a right winger he has played on the LW, as an AM and a striker during his career. Exactly the kind of flexibility I was looking for in this signing.

The key signing is the number 10, hopefully sooner rather than later, but it must be a successful signing to strengthen the midfield.
I am Scott

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”