Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Reds4Life
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Reds4Life Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:14 am

Yeah cant say I want either player on that sort of coin. Bruno doesnt seem like a player Kurz would want anyway.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:17 am

Seems the Regan to Malaysia deal should be announced today or tomorrow.

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/breakin ... lhnfoowx72
Regan seems to be a great team man so I think he'd be a loss to the playing group but I think a player like him should be seeking out a starting position which behind Elsey and Jakobsen is unlikely at AU. I'd be excited to see Tongyik come in as his replacement.
You'd think that'll happen. We wouldnt leave ourselves so short down back.
BenAD
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Postby BenAD Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 am

Tongyik has to have something lined up, no way someone agrees to terminate their a-league contract just to sit around or go back to the npl...
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:28 pm

I would take Keogh. Exactly the sort of striker Adelaide need - would play to our strengths. Part of me agrees that recycling another A-League player is not what we should aim for, but another part of me looks at all the strikers we've brought in externally who have failed for whatever reason (Dzengis, Baba, Guardiola, etc) and a bloke who's a proven quality in this league looks like a pretty good choice.
Also, a lot of the best strikers in the league have gone between clubs & succeeded (e.g. Berisha, Smeltz, Brosque, Maclaren, even our own big Serginho). Fornaroli a slightly different proposition, I'm not sure we are flexible enough to adapt to his style - and seems a bit less of a team man.
And yeah, surely Tongyik has something lined up - hopefully he's coming home.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:15 pm

I would take Keogh. Exactly the sort of striker Adelaide need - would play to our strengths. Part of me agrees that recycling another A-League player is not what we should aim for, but another part of me looks at all the strikers we've brought in externally who have failed for whatever reason (Dzengis, Baba, Guardiola, etc) and a bloke who's a proven quality in this league looks like a pretty good choice.
Also, a lot of the best strikers in the league have gone between clubs & succeeded (e.g. Berisha, Smeltz, Brosque, Maclaren, even our own big Serginho). Fornaroli a slightly different proposition, I'm not sure we are flexible enough to adapt to his style - and seems a bit less of a team man.
Yeah both players would be big indications of intent and would surely pay short term dividends.

The question is how long is the contract we are offering them?

Keogh will be 33 in may, while fornaroli will be 32 just prior to next season.

I think both players are aware they have probably one more big contract in them and will be looking for something like a 2 year deal and if thats the case I hope Fornaroli is our man as he has that extra bit of quality with the ball that can counter an ageing body.

Its also entirely possible we are not serious about either striker and have leaked the news simply to fashion a better deal with a striker we are talking with overseas ( possibly bobo? )
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:24 pm

The only reason I'd prefer Keogh for this window is that he is match fit and firing. I think I'd prefer fornaroli longer term but he hasn't played for weeks now, How fit is he?
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:28 pm

Bobo is 34 ... he's definitely quality though.

I was just looking up some goalscoring stats, last time we had someone in double figures in the league was Vidosic (10 goals) in 2012-13.
The last time Sydney FC's top goalscorer was in the single digits was 2011-12. For Melbourne Victory it was 2007-08.
Depressing reading for us... STRIKER NEEDED!
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:55 pm

Yeah both players would be big indications of intent and would surely pay short term dividends.

I think both players are aware they have probably one more big contract in them and will be looking for something like a 2 year deal and if thats the case I hope Fornaroli is our man as he has that extra bit of quality with the ball that can counter an ageing body.

Its also entirely possible we are not serious about either striker and have leaked the news simply to fashion a better deal with a striker we are talking with overseas ( possibly bobo? )
Not sure how that last bit helps us particularly when City and Sydney have more money to spend (I would say) and are also looking for a striker.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:17 pm

Not sure how that last bit helps us particularly when City and Sydney have more money to spend (I would say) and are also looking for a striker.
Showing that we have other options available indicates to another potential signing ( which may be totally off other clubs radars) we have options and will not be held to ransom.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:35 pm

It doesnt work that way if our competitors want the same players and have more cash to spend. The player can effectively hold the clubs to ransom.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:22 pm

It doesnt work that way if our competitors want the same players and have more cash to spend. The player can effectively hold the clubs to ransom.
What are you talking about?

Im saying its possible we are chasing someone from europe that no other clubs are tracking , perhaps someone through kurzs or van der pols connections and we have leaked news that we are after fornaroli/ keough in an attempt to negotiate a better deal with the overseas player.

Im not saying this is the case but the art of securing a good deal in any business aspect is casting doubt in the other parties mind.

To think that games dont get played in the media by clubs and players management is naive .
Bruuuuuuuuce

Postby Bruuuuuuuuce Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:29 pm

Hope we can sign a CB quick smart, the lack of backup is a huge concern.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:31 pm

Vidmar mentioned in a pre game interview that the long term is priority.

Stating they prefer signing a new striker on a 2 plus year deal but if they cannot find the right guy ( age/quality ) permitting they will look for a 6 month contract or loan deal. I would imagine keough and fornaroli may be short term prospects.

He also mentioned in the january transfer window strikers have been way over priced compared to the offseason.

So reading between the lines we may be most likely be inline to get a striker on 6 months loan and spend big in the off season

I felt vidmar actually spoke very well and things look promising for future seasons.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:52 pm

Vidmar mentioned in a pre game interview that the long term is priority.

Stating they prefer signing a new striker on a 2 plus year deal but if they cannot find the right guy ( age/quality ) permitting they will look for a 6 month contract or loan deal. I would imagine keough and fornaroli may be short term prospects.

He also mentioned in the january transfer window strikers have been way over priced compared to the offseason.

So reading between the lines we may be most likely be inline to get a striker on 6 months loan and spend big in the off season

I felt vidmar actually spoke very well and things look promising for future seasons.
Good to hear from the Director of Football.

Long term is the only way to plan.
Off course the on field results are very important because they help fuel growth on the emotional level but growth needs firm stable foundations and a workable plan with people who can deliver.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 pm

Hope we can sign a CB quick smart, the lack of backup is a huge concern.
We'll surely sign at least one of Tongyik, Mullen or Paul Wilson who trained with the team in pre-season but didn't get a contract,

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”