Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:23 pm

To be honest, wing is one spot we probably have enough coverage in.

Irankunda, Bernardo, Madanha, Halloran, Clough. I know all of these are way off Goodwin's quality but at least have players there.

Midfield we are paper thin: Isa who's 36, and well on the decline. Barnett who's solid but has hamstrings made of glass. Yull who's quality going forward but far too green.

If we can get 1 rock solid DM I think it will 1. give us much more control in midfield and 2. take a lot of pressure off the back four (who aren't the best, but are certainly A-League level). This is the key signing for me this season, and our finals will hinge on getting it right.
Bptiger25
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Goodwin

Postby Bptiger25 Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:23 pm

I hate to say this but I think this comes to all u so called south Australian supporters who scream we need kids from south aust in the team , maybe the owners read this and think we don’t need to invest , can’t see anything good coming from goody leaving , except maybe a wooden spoon , ageing squad and kids with no one to teach them there trade , well done u money hungry OWNERS , u just f**** this club , sorry for my anger , but I love watching my team , but things just keep going south
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:35 am

If we can get 1 rock solid DM I think it will 1. give us much more control in midfield and 2. take a lot of pressure off the back four (who aren't the best, but are certainly A-League level). This is the key signing for me this season, and our finals will hinge on getting it right.
I'm with you on this. It seems Gomulka has signed with the Roar, which is a pity.
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:39 am

I hate to say this but I think this comes to all u so called south Australian supporters who scream we need kids from south aust in the team , maybe the owners read this and think we don’t need to invest , can’t see anything good coming from goody leaving , except maybe a wooden spoon , ageing squad and kids with no one to teach them there trade , well done u money hungry OWNERS , u just f**** this club , sorry for my anger , but I love watching my team , but things just keep going south
Easy there tiger (it had to be done :lol: )
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:34 pm

The reason we invest in SA talent is not only because it's cheaper but it gives us control over the development pathways. And an identity! I am all for it.

The reality is we punch above our weight most seasons given we are probably one of the poorest clubs in the league. Goody could earn double what he's on at any of the big clubs in the AL.

We aren't going to make finals every year but we have a sustainable business model that I hope doesn't change.

Sure I would love us to compliment the SA kids with 3-4 quality players but it's just not going to happen with the current owners.

Until someone wants to put up more money than they're doing then this is the reality.

Watching the NPL boys' progression over the last few years you can see it's slowly bearing fruit. Battling relegation a few years ago, improving each year and winning the bloody GF this year! I mean that is an incredible success story.

They're still a way off being solid A-League players but this is the kind of club I can get behind.

I akin Goody leaving to Kayne leaving Tottenham. We are probably due a rebuild and this takes the expectation away.
Bptiger25

Postby Bptiger25 Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:46 pm

Ur the reason the owners don’t invest ur happy just to , see the team plod along , yes we have some of the best kids , but over the last 2-3 years where are those kids now playing else where , we give them there start then they just jump ship the very next season , maybe if all u so called lovers of just south Australian players started to jump up and down and called out the owners maybe we could get a balanced team , not just a bunch of kids who jump ship asap
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:59 am

You flatter me if you think I have any impact on the owners! I'm far from happy with a lot of things at the club but there are some things I do like, and our strategy of youth and SA talent works when there is no money.

We've made the semi final the last two seasons with this squad and ideology. I'd love us to win the Championship every year but that is a pretty good result given the resources we have.

This year will be a challenge but we are due one.
Bptiger25

Postby Bptiger25 Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:50 pm

Ed dog I don’t blame u or any other supporter but I am sure that all this talk about we need kids in the squad does filter down to these useless owners , I don’t want a team of gun players but a balance of kids with 3-4 players with lots of experience that they can pass it on to the kids , and overseas players have come throw the best coaching and that’s what we need to pass on to these kids .
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:37 pm

From Cornthwaite on Twitter:
My understanding is that the club is closing in on two foreign signings, with an announcement hopefully not too far away. Fans have been crying out for something new in the front third, and they could soon be getting their wish.

A versatile attacking option and another central midfielder are high on the club’s wish list and should be secured in the near future.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:24 pm

Saw this.

Great news. Let's hope they get it right.

The central midfielder is key, but if the AM is decent we can push Clough wide into his preferred position.
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:06 pm

Do we really think that signing a midfielder and AM is enough to cover loss of Juande, Goodwin, D’Arrigo from last season yet alone improve the squad though?

Just think the squad is out of balance with youth/ experience this season. Not helped that some of the experience is getting quite old (isa and javi) or not that good/injured (Warland/Ansell, Hiro).

Kitto for captain from here or maybe Halloren would be my guess.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:41 am

No, it won't cover the loss, but it will bring balance. And not an AM but a central or defensive midfielder who can stabilise both midfield and screen the defence.
Bptiger25

Postby Bptiger25 Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:13 pm

It’s like taking a steak of u and giving u dog food for dinner , the owners should be shamed into spending all the transfer money on 3-4 new players
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:28 pm

It’s like taking a steak of u and giving u dog food for dinner , the owners should be shamed into spending all the transfer money on 3-4 new players
I think I’d rather see two more expensive players than four lesser players.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:02 pm

We only lost 5 players and 2 of those (Juande and Kasumovic) have already effectively been replaced with the signings of Barnett and Musa Toure. Barnett is a player I think could really kick on with regular game time and could be a starter in the coming years, especially with Isaias coming to the end of his career while Kasumovic just wasn't A-League standard.

We are signing two foreigners, a midfielder and an attacker to replace D'Arrigo and Goodwin respectively. A half decent mid will be an upgrade on D'Arrigo while a Goodwin replacement obviously won't be as good but getting a good player in is definitely possible.

I wouldn't say no to a backup striker to replace Blackwood but at the same time if the club want to put faith in Jovanovic (who I believe to be the most promising striker playing in Australia), then I'm okay with that.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”