Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

AndyJebiga
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Judicial

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby AndyJebiga Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:40 pm

I don’t think Adelaide will de-list anybody other than Juande. They’re still a work in progress for another season.
Still too reliant on one or two stars, getting into the finals will again be this season’s goal.
theres several players off contract who still havent renewed - who could easily be shown the door

asad kasumovic - (most forwards have broken into the team by his age, his attitude is poor )
javi lopez - (great player, but it starting to show his age now - retirement?)
luke duzell - (loan ended - no need to renew)
josh cavallo - (too much 'off field' baggage)
nick ansell - (forever injury prone)
george blackwood - (gets more boos/groans rather than claps and cheers)
johnny yull - (wonderful talent, but second major injury in space of 18 months - a worrying trend)
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:23 pm

Channel 10 reported the other day that Javi is staying another season while Blackwood is gone.
sub007

Postby sub007 Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:25 pm

I don’t think Adelaide will de-list anybody other than Juande. They’re still a work in progress for another season.
Still too reliant on one or two stars, getting into the finals will again be this season’s goal.
theres several players off contract who still havent renewed - who could easily be shown the door

asad kasumovic - (most forwards have broken into the team by his age, his attitude is poor )
johnny yull - (wonderful talent, but second major injury in space of 18 months - a worrying trend)
A couple of corrections here. Ansell is contracted for another year while Duzel wasn’t on loan.

Alagich is also out of contract as well.
AndyJebiga

Postby AndyJebiga Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:20 am

A couple of corrections here. Ansell is contracted for another year while Duzel wasn’t on loan.

yeah ansell got an extra year because he did his ACL, the clubs good like that - but i'd still be looking at mutually terminating that final year.

duzell was a 6 month contract wasnt he?

if theyre looking at bringing home SA players, dylan mcgowan should be targeted - hes a free agent now and we need to bolster that defence

not many players i'd keep on that list (alagich, yull and maybe lopez) everyone else is expendable.
sub007

Postby sub007 Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:52 pm

yeah ansell got an extra year because he did his ACL, the clubs good like that - but i'd still be looking at mutually terminating that final year.

if theyre looking at bringing home SA players, dylan mcgowan should be targeted - hes a free agent now and we need to bolster that defence

not many players i'd keep on that list (alagich, yull and maybe lopez) everyone else is expendable.
Yeah Duzel only signed for 6 months.

I’m hoping we can mutual Ansell and sign a foreign defender but I can’t see him wanting to leave.

Dylan McGowan is finished. Struggled at WSW and struggled in the Scottish Championship with Kilmarnock. I would be very surprised if he plays A-League again.

Lopez is definitely staying but I really hope we keep Yull, D’Arrigo and Alagich and sign a new left back and a number 10
Bptiger25
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Goodwin

Postby Bptiger25 Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:00 am

Good to see we have had a flood of signings , NOT I guess this season will be the same as previous seasons, pick up other clubs left overs , or older players looking for a farewell gig .
AndyJebiga

Postby AndyJebiga Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:12 pm

I’m hoping we can mutual Ansell and sign a foreign defender but I can’t see him wanting to leave.

Dylan McGowan is finished. Struggled at WSW and struggled in the Scottish Championship with Kilmarnock. I would be very surprised if he plays A-League again.

Lopez is definitely staying but I really hope we keep Yull, D’Arrigo and Alagich and sign a new left back and a number 10

so thats duzell, juande, blackwood & kasumovic gone (all were expected to leave) no real surprises or losses with any of them.

that only leaves 5 unaccounted names:

lopez - likely will re-sign (especially since no one knows how van der saag will cope after that injury)
cavallo - not sure on his status - would definitely look at releasing him though (too much off field baggage and there are multiple talented, young local midfielders)
d'arrigo - interest from other a leagues + europe
yull - interest from other a league clubs
alagich - interest from other a league clubs

regardless of what happens with these 5, there will still be multiple spots open in the squad for 23/24 -including a visa spot
sub007

Postby sub007 Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:19 pm

so thats duzell, juande, blackwood & kasumovic gone (all were expected to leave) no real surprises or losses with any of them.

that only leaves 5 unaccounted names:

lopez - likely will re-sign (especially since no one knows how van der saag will cope after that injury)
cavallo - not sure on his status - would definitely look at releasing him though (too much off field baggage and there are multiple talented, young local midfielders)
d'arrigo - interest from other a leagues + europe
yull - interest from other a league clubs
alagich - interest from other a league clubs

regardless of what happens with these 5, there will still be multiple spots open in the squad for 23/24 -including a visa spot
Javi has re-signed, Channel 10 reported it so he's definitely staying. Yull is actually contracted until 2024 but people assumed he was out of contract because the club never announced the length of his contract.
sub007

Postby sub007 Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:07 pm

Lucas Rinaldo reporting that Cavallo, Alagich and Cox will stay while D’Arrigo will look to go overseas but there’s a contract offer for him if he can’t get a deal.

That leaves just Duzel unaccounted for.

For me D’Arrigo isn’t good enough to go overseas yet and needs a good couple of years to develop while giving Cavallo a new deal when he clearly cares more about being an influencer than a pro footballer is mind-boggling.
AndyJebiga

Postby AndyJebiga Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:38 pm

Cavallo a new deal when he clearly cares more about being an influencer than a pro footballer is mind-boggling.
george blackwood has been targeted a few times with boos and groans from the home crowd over the course of his time in adelaide - rightly so, because he is absolutely pants

cavallo only gets a pass by a large portion of our fanbase due to his sexuallity - people are afraid to critisize him because they will get labelled as 'homophobic" by a larger section of the supporter group

if the news about cavallo is true, im wondering if the reason hes been kept is purely for the marketing side of the things for the club.

theres no question how big an increase there was on the clubs social media accounts and how high adelaide united was ranked in search engines and the world wide media attention - when he immediately came out.

hes done more interviews about his personal life than about football in the past 12 months and that to me is the biggest concern

i dont care that you've got modelling contracts, a uni degree or are one of the 50 most influential people in australia.

at the end of the day i care about what he does with a football - the rest of his life is absolutely irrelevant to any conversation about football (but its all he ever talks about)

granted hes been plagued with injuries this past season and generally adelaide as club is very good at giving players another year after an injury plagued one.

even if hes 100% fit, where will his game time come from? - theres 2-3 teenagers who have jumped him for a midfield spot. - yeah he's filled in at left back, but hes made many mistakes that led to goals.

his position in the squad should go to the next local 16 year old midfielder
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:43 pm

I think the jury is still out on Josh. The fact is that his best football in red shirt was played while he was still “in the closet” so to speak. IIRC in his coming out video he said words to the affect that he would now feel free to be himself and that this would have a positive impact on his football. Well I think we can all agree that we’ve yet to see that happen.

But injuries have been a factor and if we were talking about a player without the so called “baggage”, would we not be open to giving him another chance based on his previous performances ? I can’t buy into the theory the club are keeping him around for purely PR purposes. I don’t think Carl would have that tbh.

D’Arrigo is the mind boggling one for me. He had a solid, if unspectacular season but there is still plenty of potential there and he has been a standout for U23’s at the tournament in France recently. I don’t understand why the club has let his contract wind down. We could be looking at another Yengi type missed opportunity to cash in with Louis.
Bptiger25
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Goodwin

Postby Bptiger25 Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:46 pm

Let’s face it cavallo used the up coming World Cup to come out of the closet, saying he would be in danger because he was gay , he was never ever going to the World Cup , he was looking to become a victim. Why say anything because I don’t give a rats arse what his sexuality is , just go live ur live but stop telling us what u want to do . But as a footballer he is poor time to say goodbye
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:08 pm

I just find the whole idea that the club, who see him come in to work every day and can see the effort he puts in, would re-sign Cavallo if they thought all the other stuff was affecting his football to be extremely implausible.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:55 am

If the price is right for Josh I think we keep him. Looked to be hitting form just before his injury.

Read Duzel has signed for 3 more years. I think he will be decent.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:22 am

Carl Veart's pre-season chat.

Covers most of the stuff that has just been mentioned in this thread.
Goodwin's surgery.
Blackwood.
D'Arrigo.
Cavallo.
Northcote City, New Chairman, etc.,
Young players still the main focus of the first team.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”