Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Stuckey Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:59 am

I'm always happy to see the club promote their youth players. But personally I don't see what value having a squad made up of SA born players if they are not looking at potentially better players from interstate or overseas.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:02 am

Maccabi Haifa has officially announced that they have signed Strain
Good luck to him! Hopefully they can make it thru the UEFA CL qualifiers for his sake.
Time to Djbate!
sub007
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby sub007 Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:59 am

Transfer rumour: Newcastle Jets are close to signing an Adelaide United regular starting 11 centre back. Good pick up by Jets.
https://twitter.com/Val61/status/1409064201016938497

Hoping and praying that it's Timotheou.
Worst kept rumour Adelaides contract offer to Elsey was a SERIOUS low ball Really left with no option but to go elsewhere
Interesting if true.
If it is, then I really hope not.

With the players rumoured to be leaving, it’s seems like Veart is purging the squad of SA players which makes me very disappointed as a fan as having a predominantly SA squad is an important part of the club’s identity and was one of the reasons why Carl was appointed in the first place.

If Carl brings in more shite interstate players like Timotheou and Caletti this season at the expense of SA players who are more than good enough to be in the squad, then I want him gone because he clearly isn’t a very good coach in my view and isn’t doing the thing he was appointed for.
Under Carl’s watch we’ve got more South Australians in the squad than we’ve ever had. Try a different complaint about something that hasn’t happened yet.
That’s why I said IF those rumours were true.
sub007

Postby sub007 Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:00 am

I'm always happy to see the club promote their youth players. But personally I don't see what value having a squad made up of SA born players if they are not looking at potentially better players from interstate or overseas.
Yeah of course but realistically I can’t see us brining in anyone better than what we already have tbh.
sub007

Postby sub007 Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:08 pm

Adelaide United’s defensive exodus appears set to continue, with central defender Jordan Elsey set for a move to the Newcastle Jets.

Elsey was believed to have been a denied a move overseas at the end of the 2019/20 season, and with his contract expiring this week the 27-year-old has turned down a deal at the Reds to pursue a new challenge.

Losing out on a required player in favour to an A-League rival will be seen as a significant blow for the Reds, with Adelaide’s offer reportedly falling someway short of the one on the table from the Jets.

Elsey has played 141 games in all competitions for the Reds since making his debut in 2013, winning the FFA Cup in 2018 and 2019, as well as making 17 appearances in Adelaide’s championship winning season in 2016.

Elsey’s departure follows on from the loss of Ryan Strain, who has signed for Israeli Premier League club Maccabi Haifa for an undisclosed fee.

With Strain’s departure Adelaide will finally be able to deploy Spainard Javi Lopez in his natural position of right-back, while left-back represents a significant issue with Ryan Kitto and Josh Cavallo both preferring to play higher up the pitch, the Reds have not had a natural left-back on their books since Michael Maria returned to the Netherlands last year.

Tomi Juric, Michael Jakobsen, Michael Marrone, Nathan Konstandopoulos, Pacifique Niyongabire, Yared Abetew, Dakota Ochsenham and Noah Smith meanwhile will all see their contract’s expire this week.

Juric made it clear upon signing for the Reds that he would look for an overseas deal at the end of the season, however an injury plagued campaign could see him decide to extend his time in South Australia.

Jakobsen was offered a similar deal to Elsey by the Reds but it is not expected to be accepted, while Marrone is also expected to end his long stint at the club.

Yared Abetew has secured a move to Northern New South Wales NPL side Newcastle Olympic.

The club will now have a serious rebuilding job on its hands, while the search for a new Director of Football to replace Bruce Djite is ongoing. As reported by Kick360 earlier this month a former Reds player is believed to have been offered the role.
https://kick360.com.au/adelaide-braced- ... -jets-off/

WTF is going on and why are we offering lowball contracts to key players?
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:48 pm

Should have let Elsey go overseas last year by the sounds of it. "New challenge" really means getting paid what he's worth, let's not dress it up as an emotive issue.
sub007

Postby sub007 Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:00 pm

Should have let Elsey go overseas last year by the sounds of it. "New challenge" really means getting paid what he's worth, let's not dress it up as an emotive issue.
Rumours are that the club offered him a lowball contract.
sub007

Postby sub007 Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:07 pm

Yull and Alexandar Popovic have signed scholarship deals while Smith, Pac, Dakota and Abetew are gone.

Abetew wasn't good enough, Oschenham meh, disappointed Niyongabire is gone and very disappointed Smith is gone.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:23 pm

Jakobsen had a lot of injuries this season and is not getting any younger. Elsey's been here long enough and has been serviceable, but if others are offering him more money he should go.
I suspect Pacifique and Noah Smith will turn up at other clubs.

This sort of thing happens every season, there will be more for sure.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:40 pm

If Elsey goes then that's shit. He's a very good A-League defender.

The rest of the boys who got released I'm not too fussed about.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:47 pm

I have no problems with player turnover, it's expected in this league but I just hope there's a plan. Sounds like we want to pay peanuts and unfortunately we know what you get when you pay peanuts.
sub007

Postby sub007 Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:55 pm

I have no problems with player turnover, it's expected in this league but I just hope there's a plan. Sounds like we want to pay peanuts and unfortunately we know what you get when you pay peanuts.
That's my biggest worry.

If we bring in a heap of SA players to replace these guys then that's great but there aren't many available at the moment which is why I'm worried that the club is going away from it's publicly stated philosophy and is changing direction yet again.

I guess we'll find out in the coming weeks and months.
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:19 pm

Although I didn't have confidence in the Jako/Elsey mainstay CB combo, losing both would be a massive blow. I feel like Mickey could have developed into a handy CB if he had been given the opportunity, but that time has probably passed him as well.

Gonna be another hectic off-season getting our squad right again.
flavze

Postby flavze Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:09 pm

So far the only player i'm really dissapointed in losing is Strain and to a lesser extent Pacifique, the rest have either not proven themselves on the training track or proven to not be good enough at senior level to compete with the best teams.
Other than that we need to remember we are owned by a player agent and the no1 goal of the club is to develop and sell young players.
auschris70
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pacifique Niyongabire

Postby auschris70 Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:43 pm

Adelaide United scholarship update
Adelaide United would like to provide the following update to its playing squad.

The Club is pleased to announce midfielder Jonny Yull and defender Alexandar Popovic have signed scholarship contracts ahead of the upcoming 2021/22 season.

Yull made two A-League appearances last campaign and became the third youngest Reds player to make their senior debut, while Popovic has impressed in the local National Premier League with the Young Reds.

The Club can also confirm the departures of Pacifique Niyongabire, Noah Smith, Yared Abetew, and Dakota Ochsenham following the completion of the A-League 2020/21 season.

Niyongabire joined the Reds’ Youth Team in 2017 and went on to accumulate 24 senior appearances in all competitions, scoring one goal.

Smith began with United Youth in 2017 and recorded 10 A-League appearances after making his debut in 2020.

Abetew arrived in 2018 joining the Young Reds from Croydon Kings and made nine A-League appearances.

Goalkeeper Ochsenham signed with the Club in 2018 on a scholarship and was upgraded to a Youth Player agreement this season. He featured with the Young Reds and often served as a reserve goalkeeper in the A-League matchday squad.

Director of Football Bruce Djite, said: “We’re excited to have signed Jonny and Alexandar to scholarship deals.

“They are two of the most talented players currently at our Club with Jonny already training with the first team and has already experienced A-League football.

“We’d like to thank Pacifique, Noah, Yared, and Dakota for their dedication and commitment to the Club and wish them all the best in their future endeavours.”

Yull and Popovic will join Bernardo, Ethan Cox, Yaya Dukuly, and Mohamed Toure as the Club’s scholarship players.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”