Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Old Gregg Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:45 am

He deserves so much better than the Liberals. He's too progressive and intelligent for them.
Yeah man it's a shame. But with his business focus it was always on the cards. I just hope he maintains his stance on social issues into his political career.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Old Gregg Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:55 am

Bottom here we come, we need pro/rel as soon as possible imo. My membership at AU likely to be my last this season, I’ve never been more disillusioned at the direction and lack of ambition in the clubs history. Winning and titles no longer seems to be a priority and honestly enjoying the W-league games better than the men’s.
This. I haven't renewed this season yet because I've had a lot on, have been planning on it but I just find myself losing attachment and interest. It's not Adelaide underperforming so much as it is the operation of the league generally, from trying to hold on to the closed-shop franchise system as long as possible, to shoehorning VAR in against everyone's wishes, to prioritising Fox's demands above everything else. Pro/rel is well overdue.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:25 pm

Josh Cavallo signed. Seems like a like for like with Konsta silver lining is that he's got a decent amount of A-league experience.

Hopefully he takes his opportunity and the club has another James Jeggo in the making.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:29 am

Carl mentioned post game that the foreign attacking midfielder is no longer coming. :(
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:17 am

Carl mentioned post game that the foreign attacking midfielder is no longer coming. :(
Ah that sucks. Looks like our struggles will continue in the middle of the park.

Hopefully a solid winger in Goodwin can put more forward pressure on opposition and we can become a team that "defends from the front" and do the whole "best form of defence is a good offence" thing.

Probably our best bet this season if we don't have the mids.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:12 am

Ah that sucks. Looks like our struggles will continue in the middle of the park.

Hopefully a solid winger in Goodwin can put more forward pressure on opposition and we can become a team that "defends from the front" and do the whole "best form of defence is a good offence" thing.

Probably our best bet this season if we don't have the mids.
Yeah I agree. Hopefully that might take the pressure off the centre of the park and the players that do feature there have a bit more time on the ball to develop.
Its not like the club doesn't have a track record of developing young kids in to more than capable A-League players.
My hope is also that Mauk is clearly an intelligent player who I feel can adjust his game as well. Hopefully someone can step into his role of the hard working #8 who's seemingly everywhere. While he can take a building role.
With the Cavallo signing I think the club has a decent level of options within the centre of the park as far as player numbers go. Personally I'd love to see Kitto offered a chance there I still recall him playing in the middle for Newcastle before he returned to AU, I was also very impressed with his play for Newcastle. So ideally with 4 players challenging for the 2 centre positions we see the cream rise to the top!

------------------Delianov
Lopez-----Elsey-----Jakobsen-----Smith
------D'Arrigo/Kitto/Cavallo/Caletti
-----------------------Mauk
Goodwin----------------------------Halloran
--------------------Juric

All this talk of playing kids and their inexperience. But that front 4 would arguably be as good on paper as any in the A-League IMO.
Time to Djbate!
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:43 pm

It’s funny how every other club can sign imports but AU has missed out again. Interesting that last week I was told by the CEO that am import was imminent possibly by Friday afternoon (last week) but by that night post game they were not. Did they watch the game and then pull out? 😜

In any case, as good as Goodwin is, the midfield is very ordinary and mean Juric has no supply and lives on scraps (unless Fielding/ Ams are playing). Cant see that changing with current midfield cattle.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:50 am

It’s funny how every other club can sign imports but AU has missed out again. Interesting that last week I was told by the CEO that am import was imminent possibly by Friday afternoon (last week) but by that night post game they were not. Did they watch the game and then pull out? 😜

In any case, as good as Goodwin is, the midfield is very ordinary and mean Juric has no supply and lives on scraps (unless Fielding/ Ams are playing). Cant see that changing with current midfield cattle.
Its not really a shock though. Given how challenging signing visa player are in normal circumstances (I recall Baba having a real tough time getting his family over here) I wouldn't be surprised if outside influences such as immigration make signing visa players even more challenging.
There are still thousands of citizens struggling to get home.
Time to Djbate!
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:14 pm

Bruce just mentioned that they're still talking to a few midfielders, and expects someone to sign in this window still.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:27 pm

Bruce just mentioned that they're still talking to a few midfielders, and expects someone to sign in this window still.
He said it may be a box to box or defensive mid...

It seems like they didn't capture the attacking mid they wanted and now we are looking for anything. Better than nothing I guess?
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:12 am

It seems like they didn't capture the attacking mid they wanted and now we are looking for anything. Better than nothing I guess?
I would take any A League level mid from another club we are so threadbare right now.

So yes, anything is better than nothing.
Last edited by EdDog on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:29 am

Mr.Goodwin is out and about!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:25 am

I would take any A League level mid from another club we are so threadbare right now.

Agree with this, an experienced senior midfielder is so clearly lacking it’s not funny. There is no mongrel, physicality or screening in it in any of the games so far. Admittedly Mauk has the mongrel bit in spades 👍
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:54 am

Admittedly Mauk has the mongrel bit in spades 👍
I glad someone agrees!
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 am

Agree with this, an experienced senior midfielder is so clearly lacking it’s not funny. There is no mongrel, physicality or screening in it in any of the games so far. Admittedly Mauk has the mongrel bit in spades 👍
Yeah I agree someone like a Vince Lia wouldn't be a bad addition given they are fit and willing to share game time with the young kids coming thru.
I always imagine that sort of role would be ideal for a player keen to undertake their coaching badges. Be an on field leader while balancing playing time and working towards the next stage of their career. There may be a way to offer said player a 3 year deal where the final year is spent coaching.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”