Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Kristijan
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Craig Goodwin

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Kristijan Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:06 pm

I don't understand what these players are supposed to do?

Play for 2 or 3 senior seasons in the HAL and finally stand out, get that dream European contract, get there and work your guts out but unfortunately can't break into the first team. After a few seasons of playing bit parts or being loaned out to other euro clubs then you make the decision to make the move back to the HAL to get some regular play time.

Unfortunately no one wants you because they have got a couple of 16 year olds who might step up or a couple of late 20s Australians who will never be better than HAL level that are available for cheap, even though you have space in the cap and space in the squad.

So you retire at 26?

----

In my opinion, a HAL squad should be made up of- experienced Australians (including players returning from OS and HAL experiences players), experienced visa players in key areas and at least 1 young australian/youth player for every position either as back up or as a starting/bench player.

If a young player takes his opportunities, steps up and proves he is better than an experienced player (like Konsta seemed to do with Lia last year, Strain started over Marrone a couple of times too), then he gets the spot and the team is better for it. In the end the club has to be competitive within the rules of the league.
No problem with Halloran coming back to the A-league, even to Adelaide United under different circumstances. With the huge amount of South Australian wingers in the squad we don't need him. If there was no wingers in the squad and we needed wingers then fair enough, but if we sign him then it will be extremely disappointing. We have a great team of young players in the NPL, what is the point if they are always going to be overlooked in favour of the likes of Halloran and Lia?
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Listen Kristijan, i don't know which of the players you're related to, but all they have to do is just work hard and fight for their place in the team. If Halloran is so bad they'll easily beat him to a spot in the team. If on the other hand he turns out to be another excellent signing then your friend/cousin/brother will have their work cut out for them.
I am not related to any player in the Adelaide United squad.

I am giving my opinion as a member of Adelaide united who is unhappy with where the new owners are taking the club. They are not South Australian, they are turning Adelaide United into just another team not a South Australian club, there will be no South Australian feel to the team at all.

Halloran is slightly a better player than Miluesnic and Kitto, and, a worse player than Goodwin.

Please refrain from making up untrue things about me.
So you're Greg Griffen ??
Kristijan

Postby Kristijan Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Listen Kristijan, i don't know which of the players you're related to, but all they have to do is just work hard and fight for their place in the team. If Halloran is so bad they'll easily beat him to a spot in the team. If on the other hand he turns out to be another excellent signing then your friend/cousin/brother will have their work cut out for them.

I am giving my opinion as a member of Adelaide united who is unhappy with where the new owners are taking the club. They are not South Australian, they are turning Adelaide United into just another team not a South Australian club, there will be no South Australian feel to the team at all.

Halloran is slightly a better player than Miluesnic and Kitto, and, a worse player than Goodwin.

Yes, obviously, I am the highly successful lawyer who used to own the club. Please all call me Greg.

And it is spelt Griffin, I wish the peasants, oops members, would learn to spell.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:29 pm

Cant help but wonder if a ghost is using mcdonalds wifi
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:31 pm

One of the sad things about a small forum is the way that people are sometimes treated if they don't agree with the common consensus. Kristijan may not be right or even very logical in relation to some of his comments but it's a discussion board and some of the responses to his opinion are hardly likely to endear anyone else new from joining in. Just saying.
Kristijan

Postby Kristijan Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:47 pm

Cant help but wonder if a ghost is using mcdonalds wifi
Not using Mcdonalds wifi :D
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:57 pm

I'm happy with the way things are shaping up at the club.
Looking forward to the season starting.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:02 pm

One of the sad things about a small forum is the way that people are sometimes treated if they don't agree with the common consensus. Kristijan may not be right or even very logical in relation to some of his comments but it's a discussion board and some of the responses to his opinion are hardly likely to endear anyone else new from joining in. Just saying.
I have to disagree with you there.

This forum has to be one of the most tolerant and open minded football forums around.

I do understand your point and we should debate with respect but the very nature of a forum is to discuss ideas you do and do not agree with.

If people are here to be “right” rather than discuss and debate and appreciate football then they probably wont last long here.

Btw when are you going to start doing blogs again?! Some of the best opinion pieces i have read about AUFC came from you on 442!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
RedRis
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carrusca

Postby RedRis Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 pm

The past couple of years we would have just settled on the signings made so far. But I'll be happy if it's true we are still strengthening the depth of the side with Halloran. Another fast right winger to compete with Mileusnic is just what we need, and with left wingers Goodwin & Kitto (plus youngsters like Niyongabire) the wings are looking strong this year.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:26 am

Yes, obviously, I am the highly successful lawyer who used to own the club. Please all call me Greg.

And it is spelt Griffin, I wish the peasants, oops members, would learn to spell.
Awww you called me a peasant, how cute.

The last ownership group nearly broke the club, I'm not sure how you cant be happy with what these guys have done so far.
Kristijan

Postby Kristijan Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:12 am

Awww you called me a peasant, how cute.

The last ownership group nearly broke the club, I'm not sure how you cant be happy with what these guys have done so far.
No, I did not, unless you think I really am Greg Griffin. I was sarcastically pretending to be Griffin and having a shot at him not you by saying he looked down on members as though they were peasants.

Just because the last ownership group had big faults does not mean the new ownership group is any better. Lets see how many championship we win under them.
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:10 am

I think most AU fans are pretty happy with the direction under the new owners to be fair. What else could they have done to this point? I mean tickets and meberships are cheaper, communication is back on track, signing being made more than 2 weeks before the season... so would love to know what else they are supposed to have done? Plus more than 50% of the squad is from SA.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:49 am

Wilson and Irabona have been added to the team squad on the club website. Is this because they were named in the round of 32 extended squad or have they signed contracts but haven't been announced yet?
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Wilson and Irabona have been added to the team squad on the club website. Is this because they were named in the round of 32 extended squad or have they signed contracts but haven't been announced yet?
Good question. Irabona is named as a defender but was used as an attacking left mid.....cover for Goody and Galloway?
Kristijan

Postby Kristijan Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:31 pm

The NPL final is available on youtube and I have watched some of it. Wilson looked quite good in what I watched, be quite happy to see him be our 4th CB, but we do need to sign someone.

Kristin Konstadopoulos has been playing at least some games at RB for the NPL team, he did in the final, so he might be more cover for the defence if needed.

It seems that the players tend to move around their position quite a bit more for the NPL team, partly I think because there is quite a variation on who is available throughout the season. Irabona and D'Arrigo were not in the team yesterday even though D'Arrigo is clearly the best DM and Irabona has played regularly and would normally at least be on the bench.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”