Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby shinAUFC Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 pm

We can say what we like about the ownership but its not like they are taking money from the club for personal profit.

If the money is not there then its not there!

Matmour must have been on reasonable coin though, i suspect the issue may be matmour was on a 1 year deal, meaning to find a player to fall into the void he left ( fiancially inside the cap) then said player must be happy with only a 6 month contract.

Depending how they are geared a longer signing may push them over the cap.

Even still, why not sign Mcgree? He is now available for newcastle back from the olyroos.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Rojos
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:43 pm

I think minimum cap spend is now 90% but i take your point, the owners have a history of thriftiness.

$2.636M is the minimum spend. we have 21 players and two scholarships. I cant imagine O'Dog, Margush, Warland, Ochieng, Konstandopolous, Lia and Blackwood are hoovering up mucj between them, so where is it all going?

We might be thr first club penalised for salary cap cheating.... Not paying enough!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:52 pm

I would have thought the 6 months leading up to a world cup would be a great time to pick up a player on a low-cost short-term deal, who is looking for a chance to put themselves within view of national team selectors
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:00 pm

I would have thought the 6 months leading up to a world cup would be a great time to pick up a player on a low-cost short-term deal, who is looking for a chance to put themselves within view of national team selectors
Young Aussie players just don't want to come to Adelaide, Ante is right. Even guys from Adelaide hardly return and if they do it isn't for long.

And perhaps all the imports we were chasing have found clubs, it's unlikely but then Matmour didn't give a massive amount of warning.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:52 pm

One would think that the guy in charge of attracting players to Adelaide would be in a position to improve the ability to attract players to Adelaide. But I guess he's self-declared his job impossible and we can't judge.

And who said anything about young? (or even Australian?)
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:00 pm

One would think that the guy in charge of attracting players to Adelaide would be in a position to improve the ability to attract players to Adelaide. But I guess he's self-declared his job impossible and we can't judge.

And who said anything about young? (or even Australian?)
Of course we can judge him, he's done a poor job of it thus far. Our imports under his watch have been quality but haven't gelled for whatever reason.

His inability to attract Aussie talent is still in the gun (bar Gulum, and that was more Kurz). We haven't even been able to get players to come back to their home state.

That tells you more about the destination.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 pm

nothing wrong with the destination ... it's the perception that is always the problem with Adelaide.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:00 pm

nothing wrong with the destination ... it's the perception that is always the problem with Adelaide.
Well yes that's a better way to put it.

And that perception, both city and club, is a difficult one to shake.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:12 am

This is it.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:46 am

Perhaps the main problem is the club and not the city?
The fact around 10% of our former players come back to AU when returning to Australia and that almost all of our better players seem to be playing for other clubs in Australia at some point indicate its got to be club more than anything else.

By the way, all things considered, was it really worth getting rid of Carussca who really wanted to stay in Adelaide? I mean his replacement has already left after 10 games and two other imports have been more injured than he was in the last 2 seasons. I think we would have been much better with him still in the squad. So therein lies the BS in what ANte is saying, can attract anyone here yet continually piss off loyal servant who want to stay.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:08 am

The fact around 10% of our former players come back to AU when returning to Australia and that almost all of our better players seem to be playing for other clubs in Australia at some point indicate its got to be club more than anything else.

By the way, all things considered, was it really worth getting rid of Carussca who really wanted to stay in Adelaide? I mean his replacement has already left after 10 games and two other imports have been more injured than he was in the last 2 seasons. I think we would have been much better with him still in the squad. So therein lies the BS in what ANte is saying, can attract anyone here yet continually piss off loyal servant who want to stay.
This.

Its not just players either.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:13 am

The problem is the perception of the city, but the reality of our club.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Conspiracy theory: we haven't signed anyone yet this window because Ante is protesting against Griffin not giving him the budget he needs to sign the players he wants.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:17 pm

I call bs on the perception of thw city.

In europe everyone i know or meet who have heard of adelaide are incredibly jealous that i get to call it home.

6 months ago in a pharmacy in Milano the store attendant was telling us how she just got back from her honeymoon in adelaide and how beautiful it was. Honestly this is not an unusal conversation for an australian to have while in europe from my experience.

Secondly, if you cant sell a family home on henley beach, 20 minutes from the city centre and cultural precinct, all with the lowest cost of living of any aleague region then you need a new job

Ofcourse those interested in the big city will gravitate to sydney abd melbourne , but newsflash most european football clubs are not in the bug capital cities so i seriously doubt its a big issue.
Futbol_Crazy21
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Conspiracy theory: we haven't signed anyone yet this window because Ante is protesting against Griffin not giving him the budget he needs to sign the players he wants.
So in this scenario, Ante is trying to get fired? Because thats the only logical outcome of him trying that.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”