Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Baresi79
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isias

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Baresi79 Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:24 am

Didn't alert anyone to it on Twitter but
Adelaide United has been working with Eugene for a number of weeks to find a coaching role at the Club suitable for his skills with a view to obtaining the necessary coaching badges to become a fantastic A-League coach. During this period Eugene always made it clear his preference was to continue playing.

http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/articl ... buzc6efnfp
I don't know about anyone else, but I read this statement as being so condescending and lacked any respect for our longest serving player. Let's face it, the club never had any intention of signing Eugene on as a player, made abundantly clear once Izzo was signed. The club as usual, deflecting blame with veiled excuses.

Eugene deserves so much better than the treatment he has received from the club.
I dont know is it really that bad? Sure he is been great for the club but are we being a little sentimental? He didnt want to resign and is leaving for another club.

Look at how Donnarumma is being treated by AC MIlan and he hasnt even left yet!
salmonfc
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Craig Goodwin

Postby salmonfc Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Apples and oranges. For one, Eugene isn't backstabbing the people who raised him to be the goalkeeper he is today for more money like some sort of senseless snake.
we da best
Capac

Postby Capac Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:20 pm

I don't really think the Club as been horrible to Galekovic here. I would love him to stay and finish his career at adelaide, I find it disappointing that the club can never convince any of the club legends to retire here. But I don't think they have gone about this in the wrong way.

It was obvious last season and even in moments the year before that Eugene's form was starting to slip and mistakes were creeping back into his game. After signing Izzo they tried to come to an agreement to keep Eugene around the club but he wanted to keep the starting spot. I don't think there is anything wrong with that situation, it's a shame but that's just how it happens. They released a nice little statement, it could have been bigger especially considering how important Eugene has been but i think it's pretty obvious the clubs public relations could use some work.

Anyway, good luck to Eugene, I look forward to seeing him again when he heads back with City to play us.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Marc Marino has joined Campbelltown City and is on the bench for their match against Adelaide United YT today.
I am Scott
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:47 pm

Fall from grace for Marc who was very highly rated in his early days. Hope he can find his way again
leigh

Postby leigh Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:35 pm

I have edited and been involved in the writing of far too many press releases in my time to think that anything said in one is not exactly what the writer intends. Theoffiial release regarding Eugene's departure did not need any of the content on him not accepting our terms, it didn't need the angle of our intent to move a player to a coaching role and him not accepting. The release needed only be a celebration of his career and achievements at the club, it should be a thank-you. Regardless of his slight decline, regardless of his position in our team he is a legend here and without that respect shown we become another revolving door small business like WSW.

To pen a statement that attempts to put the decision on him is in tremendous ignorance that the club announced a singing of his replacement earlier, it is ignorant that no doubt Izzo sent a message to Eugene letting him know I imagine that he signed to become the no.1 It is ignorant that the club thinks the fans, members, financial supporters and players cannot see the intent of what should be a warm thank-you turned into an excuse etched in legal speak and accountability dodging.

Even at local level, young kids see icons treated with respect, chaired off and acknowledge. It might be friendly testimonial and bbq against another local team, the presentation of plaque or the naming of a turnstile gate, sometimes its as simple as announcing intent and receiving that round of applause. Young kids see that and say " I want that to be me one day" If that statement is the best club can do for perhaps its most iconic players... what will people see as their future legacy with this club?
salmonfc
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Craig Goodwin

Postby salmonfc Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:27 pm

100% agreed. If you're a player who's considering moving to Adelaide United and you look at how long time servants and club legends are just discarded like they're absolutely nothing, why the hell would you bother trying to forge a legacy here? You'll be consigned to the scrap heap sooner or later anyway.
we da best
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:28 am

I have edited and been involved in the writing of far too many press releases in my time to think that anything said in one is not exactly what the writer intends. Theoffiial release regarding Eugene's departure did not need any of the content on him not accepting our terms, it didn't need the angle of our intent to move a player to a coaching role and him not accepting. The release needed only be a celebration of his career and achievements at the club, it should be a thank-you. Regardless of his slight decline, regardless of his position in our team he is a legend here and without that respect shown we become another revolving door small business like WSW.

To pen a statement that attempts to put the decision on him is in tremendous ignorance that the club announced a singing of his replacement earlier, it is ignorant that no doubt Izzo sent a message to Eugene letting him know I imagine that he signed to become the no.1 It is ignorant that the club thinks the fans, members, financial supporters and players cannot see the intent of what should be a warm thank-you turned into an excuse etched in legal speak and accountability dodging.

Even at local level, young kids see icons treated with respect, chaired off and acknowledge. It might be friendly testimonial and bbq against another local team, the presentation of plaque or the naming of a turnstile gate, sometimes its as simple as announcing intent and receiving that round of applause. Young kids see that and say " I want that to be me one day" If that statement is the best club can do for perhaps its most iconic players... what will people see as their future legacy with this club?
Very well worded, and my thoughts exactly.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:39 am

I thought we handled the situation itself quite well, but the press release wasn't great
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Ochieng tweets about his new deal.

We might have a matchday squad yet !!!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:26 pm

I didn't rate Ochieng until this season. I thought that the fact he had been around the squad for so long without breaking through meant he just wasn't good enough.

Bloke has done amazingly well with the little opportunities given to him and I'm very pleased to have him re-sign.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Stuckey Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:29 pm

I didn't rate Ochieng until this season. I thought that the fact he had been around the squad for so long without breaking through meant he just wasn't good enough.

Bloke has done amazingly well with the little opportunities given to him and I'm very pleased to have him re-sign.
I'm with you. He totally proved me wrong. I was surprised the club offered him a deal last season.
Time to Djbate!
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Had a chat to him at the pre season fan day and he said 'all I want is a decent chance to show what I have'

He did that. Strong and fast with a decent finish, just needs to work on the first touch and he will be a dangerous player at this level.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Ochieng, took his chances and I think he will continue to develop.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:48 pm

He has the potential to be the player Tarek Elrich is at his best - strong, confident, direct, comfortable anywhere up the wing, and with a trick or two up his sleeve. A player like this is extremely versatile, perfect for an a-league squad - but the real value will be with consistency. I think Ochieng will have a very positive career.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”