Transcript : The Growth

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

redmum
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Anything not involving pedophiles ;)

Transcript : The Growth

Postby redmum Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:18 pm

The Growth : Back in 2002, back in the old NSL days, 5,000-6,000 was the average crowd, the A League has now pressed through to 12,700-12,800 average crowd, a lot of it on the back of Victory and Del Piero, but it continues to evolve. Back in 2002, there was no coverage, here we are ten years later and every A League game is covered live either on Fox, or next year on SBS. The game just continues to grow, and it will continue to evolve. Del Piero, who would have thought back in 2002 that someone like Del Piero would be playing in the A League, and that you could go and see him in every capital city (bar Adelaide!). We made a special offer, they didn’t take it, I said Look, I know he’s a big fan of the Sydney Harbour…we can actually pop him on the Popeye and give him a ride down the Torrens…they weren’t that enthusiastic about that…;)
So, in terms of where we’re at, a lot is said about crowds, you know, why aren’t the crowds here, we’re averaging about 10,200-10,300, by the end of the season, if the team and players stay solid, we’ll be back on our nine year average. Only once in ten years have we dipped below our 10,000 average, and that was last year. Adelaide, I think does a pretty fair job..they were raving about the crowd in Sydney yesterday, a crowd of 13,000 in a city of 5 million, and we had a crowd of 10,000 in a city of 1 million here on Friday night, and I think Adelaide and you people who support the game, do a wonderful job ofs supporting them. And our obligation is to make sure we’ve got a competitive side out there, we understand that, and we don’t want to get back to that infamous Gold Coast game last year when the players got booed off at halftime, and not because they got beaten, we know why they got booed, it was rudderless. So, crowds, we’re not disappointed with them, we are dealt a very severe card here, when you go back to the early years of course, when did we play? Friday, Saturday nights at 7.30. We don’t get a 7.30 fixture now because Fox said the Friday kickoff time has to be 7.30 EST for their TV audience. You can’t cp the $40 million a year, and not play when they tell you to play, and all football clubs have gone the same way, so if we had our way, we’d play 7.30 Friday night, we’d never play at 4 or 5 oclock in the afternoon, and we’d avoid Sundays like the plague, but we have no choice in it.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”