Transcript : Heroes

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

redmum
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Anything not involving pedophiles ;)

Transcript : Heroes

Postby redmum Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:15 pm

The Heroes : There’s been a lot said across the A League, if you look at it this way, I think historically some of the problems in the A League are based on this..there’s 10 A League sides, and at the start of every year there’s 10 clubs banking and budgeting on finishing first or second. So by definition, at the end of the year, 8 others are going to be in dire straits. And I think that that’s one of the historic loss/win, the financial losses incurred in the game, if you budget to be first or second, and you spend according to that, and anything goes pear shaped, then you’re financially jumped (?). No question if you bank on being a first or second side, therefore we will have $2 million dollars sponsorship and 12,000 people will rock up and see us play every week, but what happens if you don’t? And I think there’s got to be a bit more responsible budgeting done right throughout the A League. We haven’t got three billionaires in on our board the way Sydney football club has, and their idea of budgeting, I think is just a passing interest between some Russian millionaires and a couple of mates. But, having said that, they’ve done a very good job of bringing Del Piero here, so I applaud them for that. So, the heroes in Adelaide, and I picked them out quite bluntly, and I’m put at risk of upsetting others, but the real heroes of Adelaide United, are Gordon Pickard, Nick Bianco and Rob Gerard. Because they’re three blokes, who want this club, this city, to have a team in the National Comp. No financial gain. I can assure you that Rob is a statesman, he’s a proud South Australian, and he wants everything that’s right for this city. But in real terms, all of those gentlemen are just custodians of a license, they’re holding it on behalf of us all, they’re holding it on behalf of Adelaide, and that beholds us as a group the people who are management, the coaches who look to put a competitive side on the pitch..and I think if we saw something like we saw Friday night every time we came to Hindmarsh, we’d all walk away content that the players were giving exactly what they could.
The other aspect about Pickard, Bianco and Gerard is their unconditional support of this code. They didn’t come in and say I will do this if you do this for me…they’ve just come in and financed it, no help from the Government, very little help from the FFA, so if I’m looking at the FFA to put pressure on anything, it’s to stop the pressure on the owners. This new broadcast deal will be wonderful for the game, but the first beneficaries from this broadcast deal have to be the owners, because they have literally carried the A League. If you look at the combined losses that Adelaide United have since inception – I haven’t gone back and looked at all the figures – but I know some of the figures, so I’m guessing through that group of people that they’ve probably put in $20 million. So the sooner the FFA through it’s distributions, TV deals and sponsorships and everything else, start taking the pressure off owners, the better off we’ll be. The sooner the Club gets in the black, the sooner we’ll be making more sound and better business decisions. I can assure it’s it’s a lot easier to make sound business decisions when you have $500,000 sitting in a term deposit rather than wondering where the next $500,000 is coming from to pay your wages. And that’s the sort of pressure that we’ve got to get out of this place, so that we are just running a sound business, we’re putting more money into marketing, more money into being out in the community. At the moment we have stripped back as far as we can, we can’t cut any further, otherwise we won’t be doing what we are going to do. Comment of You are running on a skeleton staff..now we know that at the point of takeover there were people who lost their jobs, now I felt terrible about that because I had to do it. But it wasn’t their fault, they were employed here, the fact of the matter is, the place just had too many people.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”