Adelaide United Fans Update | A Letter & Request To The Club

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Shane
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Adelaide United Fans Update | A Letter & Request To The

Postby Shane Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:34 pm

I am pretty sure that the club's media man is now going to almost solely concentrate on the club and the people in and around it. No more stuff about matches etc. There is so much to talk about and communicate around the club that what happens on the pitch on match day can and should be left to those paid exclusively to report on it.

The email received today is exactly the sort of thing that we should be seeing into the future.

Well bloody done.
This. Perfecto.
Shano. Red to the core.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:54 pm

This is a momentus day.

Big thanks to of course Shane, Phil, RA & SE for cooperating, everyone who wrote to media outlets for exposure of these issues (shin), 442 & SBS (heck even ch7) for giving us air time and everyone else who I have forgotten who have played part. Also We are the reds users for starting this movement!

Well. Freaking. Done.

I think I actually wanted this more than a win on Friday. Thought I would never say that.

Can I have both?
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:33 am

I am pretty sure that the club's media man is now going to almost solely concentrate on the club and the people in and around it. No more stuff about matches etc. There is so much to talk about and communicate around the club that what happens on the pitch on match day can and should be left to those paid exclusively to report on it.

The email received today is exactly the sort of thing that we should be seeing into the future.

Well bloody done.
Exactly whats the point of wasting all that time of reporting the match when someone at the Advertiser does it as well.
Great news I can almost immediately see this difference. I just hope like nothing else that this will be the standard going forward.
Great work to all involved!
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:00 am

Here's the members' email I got from the club last night - for those that didn't receive it.

Dear _____,

Adelaide United FC would like to update its members and supporters on some recent matters involving the club.

Free kicks to Australian Rules and Cricket – a penalty for Football?

Adelaide United FC was completely surprised by the Government announcement that Adelaide Entertainment Corporation will manage Hindmarsh Stadium from the 1st of July 2013. The club was of the understanding that the findings of the stadia review were due in late March. What this means for football in this State is unknown based on the statement contained in the release, "Arrangements after July 1, 2013 will be determined by AEC". It may well be that the code and the club benefit by this arrangement, but that position is strictly hypothetical as we do not have any details.

Much has been made about the half million dollar loss the Government asserts it was losing at Hindmarsh Stadium. This begs the question of course as to how much of that loss was attributed to Adelaide United or in fact did the income generated by Adelaide United's activities actually mitigate the combined stadia losses. The reported loss also assumes that the stadium was being run efficiently. Governments traditionally make reference to economic benefit when it comes to justifying expenditure. That being the case, we are confident that the economic benefit of up to 30 visits from opposition teams and their associated accommodation, catering and general expenditure every year is significant. Not to mention the AFC Champions League campaigns in 2006, 20008, 2010 and 2012 when United created enormous exposure for South Australia throughout Asia. Add to that the additional economic benefits of having wage and salary earners earning a living and paying their way in SA, coupled with GST payments and supplier generated trade. It is all too simple to focus on Hindmarsh as a single entity.

The then Liberal Government was arguably the last to commit significant capital expenditure to football with the opening of the Grandstand Development in 1998. As Liberal Leader at the time, John Olsen's enthusiasm for the game was open and transparent. Capital investment at Hindmarsh has not been maintained as has been the case at some other major sporting venues in South Australia. There have been significant grants to major sporting clubs in Adelaide for capital projects coupled with investment in infrastructure surrounding select venues – but little or none at Hindmarsh. The pitch, given adequate maintenance programs, is the jewel in the crown providing a first class surface. However the change room, spectator, training and rehabilitation facilities pale in comparison to interstate venues.

Is private ownership a stumbling block for Government? Surely the combined efforts of Gordon Pickard, Nick Bianco, Robert Gerard, Greg Griffin, Bruno Marveggio and Richard Noble is deserving of recognition and assistance as they privately funded a team to represent SA on the national stage. No financial return to them of course, just a desire to ensure we have a team – THE PEOPLE'S TEAM - OUR TEAM OUR STATE. These men are the real heroes behind Adelaide United. So back to the half million dollar loss the Government refers to in its release…when was it that Government decided football should return a profit and if it does should all sports be treated in that light? In a State Budget indicating a projected loss of over $1 billion, the focus on our sport seems rather narrow.

Change is unpalatable at the best of times, more so when you don't know what change could mean. Again we highlight that Hindmarsh is the spiritual home of football in this State. With the ever increasing number of participants, currently at 23,000 in South Australia, all development pathways lead to Hindmarsh and the Hyundai A-League. Let’s hope there is a political will to support football.

Coach Selection Panel

The club is pleased to announce it has compiled a highly credentialed and reputable selection panel to assist in finding the club’s next Head Coach.

The Panel, to be chaired and overseen by Reds Board member Bruno Marveggio, will comprise of former Socceroos John Perin and Craig Foster, as well as current Port Adelaide High Performance Manager Darren Burgess, who has recently returned from a two year stint as the Head of Fitness & Conditioning for English Premier League club Liverpool.

Adelaide United has recognised a need to seek third party expertise in sourcing the best coach for the club going forward. Perin, Foster and Burgess were appointed on the basis that they would provide an intimate knowledge of the domestic and international aspects of the code along with an awareness and connection with Adelaide United. The selection process will see the Panel in charge of sourcing the final interview candidates to recommend for the Club’s Board to consider and make the final decision. The new coach is expected to be finalised before the start of pre season training in the lead up to the Hyundai A-League 2013/14 Season.

John Kosmina resignation

The matter has received significant media attention and created widespread speculation. At the end of the day, John Kosmina will always be respected for his contribution to both this Club and football across Australia. He is a valued part of Adelaide United's history, a proud history at that.

History Committee – Memorabilia Room in the Grandstand Bar

For those who haven't seen the displays as yet, be encouraged to make the effort to inspect the wonderful memorabilia arranged by our History Committee.

Muscat /Kosmina Cup and Medal

The rivalry between Adelaide United and Melbourne Victory is evidenced in the above named trophy and medal. Regardless of where these two great characters of the game are located, Melbourne Victory and Adelaide United clashes will always bring back memories of that infamous incident years ago. The third match this season at Hindmarsh on Friday night will determine the trophy holder for the 2012/13.

Message of thanks to you, the fans

We would like to convey the club’s appreciation to all of the club's supporter groups.

While the result was not what we were after, your attempts to lift the players on Sunday afternoon against the Wanderers was terrific. We hope this continues in the remaining matches and the rest of the crowd feels encouraged to join in. We're sure many more fans will be ready to do so against Melbourne Victory this week.

We have been delighted with the behaviour of the crowd at Hindmarsh and the positive atmosphere that has been created, particularly over the past two home games. We are pleased to report that during these two matches not a single incident was reported and not a single person was evicted from either match. We are hopeful this trend continues, but with our next opponent Melbourne Victory, we know that this will be a difficult challenge.

We urge all supporters to continue to act in accordance with the FFA’s Spectator Code of Behaviour and the Terms of Admission, and we look to our Active Supporter Groups leading by the example you have set during the last two home games. Thank you, well done & we look forward to seeing you in the terraces in full voice on Friday night.

Thanks for your support.

Yours sincerely

Adelaide United Football Club
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:07 am

"Gordon Pickard, Nick Bianco, Robert Gerard, Greg Griffin, Bruno Marveggio and Richard Noble....... These men are the real heroes behind Adelaide United."

I know they are trying to fix things up but saying things like this makes me think people like Greg Griffin thinks they are bigger than the club.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:16 am

That's true. Obviously this sort of communication is only occurring because of the outcry over their very poor public relations previously, so it's pretty easy to be cynical.
To be honest, if they are running the club well I don't care if they big-note themselves... it will take a little while to regain the supporters' confidence in them though.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:37 am

lets just hope this continues and is not a once off!
Shane

Postby Shane Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm

The club has formally responded and would like us to suggest a time for a meeting. The meeting will consist of the following people;

- Adelaide United Fan Groups
- Adelaide United F.C.
- Stadium Management
- Stadium Security
- SA Police
Shano. Red to the core.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Its just disgusting how the Government can cry poor over losing $500k a season due to more their own fault then anything. All the while they are forking out three quarters of a billion dollars on AFL and Cricket.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:32 pm

The club has formally responded and would like us to suggest a time for a meeting. The meeting will consist of the following people;

- Adelaide United Fan Groups
- Adelaide United F.C.
- Stadium Management
- Stadium Security
- SA Police
Great news. Its sad it took so much effort and time to get to this position but still its great that we have. Once again well done to all involved.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”