AUFC v Perth

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Jessesdad
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Re: AUFC v Perth

Postby Jessesdad Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:43 pm

Posted this in the Newcastle thread but read this and thought I'd just double up...

We have a very capable squad but somehow we never really look like bossing games (discount Sydney). I remain bewildered by a lot of Kossie's decisions but he's getting results. I guess the question is always "are we achieving what we could". I'm not convinced. The last few weeks have really shown up the weaknesses.

Bruce is a poor striker. He's a great guy, has a brilliant workrate, does some good hold-up work but he's so out of form in front of goal it's becoming embarrassing. There's no point talking about Serg because Kossie has decided he won't use him. The reasons for that being part of the great mystery of human existence.

The other week Bruce did the hard work to win the ball and gave himself a one-on-one with the keeper. He then totally ignored the square ball to Ramsey for a tap-in because he SO wants to score. He shot and stuffed it, the ball falling luckily for Ramsey to put it away. It was great lead-up play from Bruce but terrible decision making that stems from not scoring. Say what you like about his play, a striker is there to score goals as well as the other work he does. It's got to get to him that he's never on target.

Playing him with Jero next to him makes so much more sense for both of them. Jero is not a winger and he's not a midfielder - he is a striker and he knows where the net is and he shoots. But he's small and needs to play off a target man. Equally he can make goals for others. Our one striker system doesn't suit our strikers! Would it be so silly to try a Jero/Kosto front two? Kosto is faster than Bruce, more mobile and pretty strong. His ball control is better (a bit).

Our creative midfielders are sublime but there's a reason that most teams don't try and play so many. They are rarely ball-winners and they need to drift. Vido and Chello sometimes compliment each other but too often make us look like we have no midfield at all. Both wonderful players but both on the field makes us lightweight. Something Zenon can't really rectify as a sub!

Kosto is not a winger either. He's a centre-froward. He's come on in leaps and bounds but he's not quick. Ramsey and Fabs are quick. They are wingers.

Malik has been amazing all season but he plays the hardest position on the pitch. I'd like to see McKain given a try there and on the bench to bolster the DM strength when we get into strife.

It just seems we're not utilising the squad all that well and we're trying to play a sytem that doesn't suit the personnel on the pitch always.

So...

Hugene

(Bowles/Watson) (Golec/Boogs) Fyfe Cassio

(Malik/McKain) or Malik & McKain (especially if Bowles is on)

Fabs (Vido/Chello) Ramsey

(Bruce/Kosto) Jero

Drop one forward if we need to bolster DM and utilise the wing-backs more to counter. I'd even consider playing Vido out on the right in place of Fabs (who isn't in the same class). Vido is fast and clever enough to play wide.

I'm probably completely wrong about all this but I am getting frustrated watching our team set up with players unable to manage the system.

And please don't make me watch Barbs again. He can be mascot.

:blah:
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:01 pm

Except that I feel that much of Bruce's troubles stem from his lack of quality service I do agree with that!
Evan and Jero up front would be an interesting scenario! But it is clear to me we just don't have the skill in the squad (especially in the wing department to service one striker.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:06 pm

How about a 4-3-3?

...........Euge
Bowles..Golec..Fyfe..Cassio
......McKain/Zen..Malik
........Dario/Chelo
...Jero...Bruce...Kosto/Rambo

Bruce hold the ball up and Kosto and Jero run on to it.
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:58 am

^ Yep, I definitely think that if Chelo is out we should revert to two CMs and one playmaker.
Keep the Cassio/Rambo combination down the left going, and I reckon give Jero a start on the right wing with Ferreira to come on late and run at them

------------Euge------------
Bowles--Fyfe--Golec---Cassio
-------Zenon----Malik-------
------------Vido------------
--Jero------Bruce-----Rambo-

Watson, Ferreira, Kosto
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Hammerzeit

Postby Hammerzeit Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:40 pm

How about 3-2-3-2? Not a WM, more of a MM.

McKain/Golec - Boogard/Fyfe - Cassio
Watson/Caravella - Malik
Fabio - Chelo - Vidosic
Bruce - Jero

Detail the two central midfielders to stay put and allow the front five to play...
happy

Postby happy Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Ramsey is not quick ,not direct either,just someone who can't head the ball,he has had enough chances .

We should be persevering with Kosta
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:38 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a 4-1-3-2

Eugene
Bowles Fyfe Golec Cassio
Malik
Ferreira Vidosic Ramsay
Kosta Jeronimo

Bruce McKain Caravella Izzo

Bruce hasn't been in great form, kosta is a #9 so let's see him play as one. Options for McKain to come in as a second cdm and kosta to sub or drop to a wing position if we need reinforcing.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:40 am

Fabio Ferreira may be fit to play after missing Adelaide's away clash last weekend
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/foo ... 6549845157

Alright good news!
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Hyundai A-League 2012/13 Season – Week 16
ADELAIDE UNITED FC v PERTH GLORY
Friday 11 January 2013, Hindmarsh Stadium
Kick-Off: 7.00pm ACDT
Referee: Peter Green

Tickets: Available through Ticketek (call 132849, online at www.ticketek.com.au)
TV: LIVE & Exclusive on Fox Sports 1
Radio: Score updates on 891 ABC Adelaide
Twitter: twitter.com/adelutd_fc (hash tag #REDSvPG)

Adelaide United squad: 1.Eugene Galekovic (gk) (c), 2.Osama Malik, 5.Iain Fyfe, 6.Cassio, 7.Zenon Caravella, 10.Dario Vidosic, 11.Bruce Djite, 12.Antony Golec, 14.Cameron Watson, 16.Daniel Bowles, 17.Iain Ramsay, 18.Fabian Barbiero, 20.Paul Izzo (gk), 21.Jeronimo Neumann, 23.Evan Kostopoulos, 24.Awer Mabil
*one to be omitted

In: Osama Malik (promoted), Awer Mabil (promoted from NYL)
Out: Marcelo Carrusca (groin – 2-3 weeks)
Unavailable: Nigel Boogaard (hamstring – 1 week), Fabio Ferreira (groin – 2-3 weeks)

Perth Glory squad: 1.Danny Vukovic (gk), 3.Bas van den Brink, 5.Steve Pantelidis, 6.Nick Ward, 7.Jacob Burns (c), 8.Dean Heffernan, 9.Shane Smeltz, 10.Liam Miller, 11.Adrian Zahra, 12.Ryo Nagai, 13.Travis Dodd, 14.Steven McGarry, 15.Brandon O’Neill, 17.Chris Harold, 18.Jesse Makarounas, 19.Josh Risdon, 21.Scott Jamison, 22.Ndumba Makeche, 30.Lewis Italiano (gk)
*four to be omitted

In: Bas van den Brink (returns from suspension), Adrian Zahra, Jesse Makarounas, Ndumba Makeche (all promoted)
Out: Nil
Unavailable: Evan Berger (hamstring – indefinite), Michael Thwaite (calf – 2 weeks)
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/ade ... home/57809

Mabil in the squad! Malik back in as well, which would suggest either Zen or Rambo to miss out.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Fabian Barbiero will replace the injured Marcelo Carrusca in the starting 11 and Osama Malik comes in for Zenon Caravella on the bench.

Exciting youngster Awer Mabil is also in line to make his debut after being named as a substitute.

Mabil's promotion to the first team comes after the 17-year-old winger signed a two-year contract with the Reds on Wednesday.

The Kenyan has scored eight goals in 10 appearances for the National Youth League team this season.

Kosmina said Mabil deserved to feature for the senior side following his red-hot form.

From 442.
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Barbs walks straight into the starting 11??? He must train amazingly...
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Its exciting to see Mabil in but if what others have said of him, his talent is undenyable but he is still very raw and playing him this season might be a mistake. Hopefully they're wrong!
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Barbs walks straight into the starting 11??? He must train amazingly...
Except for Jero (who Kossie must only see as a striker) who else would you replace Chelo with? Barbs is probably the only option.
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Barker-Daish, Caravella or Watson could all play there and have more effect than barbs running around with no real purpose.
Adam
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Adam Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Even Mabil is getting a bench spot ahead of Van Dijk ... We're never gonna see that big shiny head running around again at Hindmarsh :(

I'd prefer to see Caravella start than Barbiero.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”