Adelaide United - General Issues and Discussion

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Adelaide United - General Issues and Discussion

Postby Stuckey Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:55 am

GG would have no where near as much money as Tinkler or Sage have (had) to throw money into the club.

He would be well off but there would be daylight between him and them.

He also just doesn't want to throw money into the club.

He wants it to be sustainable so that it can function without the constant need for injection from wealthy soccer loving owners, which lets face it, are tough to find in SA.

I definitely share in the criticism of him, it is infuriating that we don't sign players we want or need but I do sympathise with his intentions to run the club on a tight budget.
Im with you on that.

If he just kept his mouth closed and occasionally spoke about the clubs direction , future goals and difficulties id have so much more respect for him. I dont beleive he should be funneling limitless money into the club and if he can get the club to a stage where it is able to survive off its own funding then he deserves to be commended.

The problem is he speaks when its better to say nothing, he could do with a PR makeover and put himself out there as a man of the fans battling away for our little club and leave the politicle jostling for a spokemans of the club.

I actually feel for the guy because he has put so much effort into the club for little thanks from fans when there was no interest from people to own an aleague club which was seen to be a dying league. However its mostly his doing imo.
I agree. An excellent example is the way he spoke about Euge in the 5AA I think that could have been discussed far differently and a much more warmer way of speaking about arguably AUFC's greatest player would have got fans much more on side.
I think the club needs to identify that really there is no one from the club (in a management position) we really want to hear from. Obviously its nice hearing things straight from the horse's mouth when Gui speaks. But due to his level of English we're not really going to get a huge amount of info from him consistently. It would be great to see the club sign up a local coach to be in and around the club, plus be a face for the club in the media. Travis Dodd would be a great person for that IMO. He's already involved in the media, is a respected club legend and AFAIK is moving into coaching. Damien Mori would be another person perfect for this as he would also related to the group of football people that AU aren't engaging.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri May 12, 2017 11:30 pm

I thought I'd move the Griff-Elrich saga talk to here.
Now we have Baba signed up I am not really feeling the angst that others seem to be mired in.
I think its more a big concern about where the club culture is headed. AU has been notorious for struggling to sign experienced HAL players. This will only make that worse.
The signings are good I think Kitto is probably the only player I've heard people say they wouldn't re-sign out of the ones that have. I'm happy to see him and the others signed. Hopefully the incoming coach uses Kitto more effectively as I still don't believe the wing is his best position.
Any success this team has is irregardless of what the club and the higher ups do, they way the club operates is a fucking joke and something needs to be done.

Red Army should have been bringing banners and chanting Griffin out all season.
I wonder if moving Griff on it a possiblity at all?
Would someone be willing to take on his 25% (I think that's what he owns) stake in the club?
Plus then the AUMC is basically run by him. If he goes then that would most likely end the AU NPL side for the time being.

I think (for the time being) he's not going anywhere. I think the best case scenario looking forward would be if the club somehow gains a big new investor and they have the power/ability to take Griff's soap box away and give someone with even an ounce of charisma. The likeihood of that happening is very slim I'd say unless there is interest from Asia.

When opens up a new can of worms. Would AU fans be willing to see the club in foreign hands? I am actually proud that AU is one of only three (I think) HAL clubs that are Australian owned.
Personally I don't see big money from China fixing our problems. I see that creating more.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed May 17, 2017 11:05 am

Very disappointing that the club hasn't bothered to thank Dylan on their social media or website at all.
The bloke has to be one of the best defenders the club has ever had.

If they are at a loss as to why fans think the club's culture stinks. Here is a prime example.
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu May 18, 2017 10:43 am

The club must be severely understaffed or something - surely they have some kind of media / comms person there? These days being able to communicate adequately with members / supporters / media is crucial to any kind of professional sporting club, they really need to get their shit together. If there's someone who's supposed to be doing this job but isn't, fire them and appoint someone who can.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Stuckey

Re: RE: Re: Adelaide United - General Issues and Discussion

Postby Stuckey Thu May 18, 2017 12:55 pm

The club must be severely understaffed or something - surely they have some kind of media / comms person there? These days being able to communicate adequately with members / supporters / media is crucial to any kind of professional sporting club, they really need to get their shit together. If there's someone who's supposed to be doing this job but isn't, fire them and appoint someone who can.
I get the feeling there is a large amount of staff turnover so as the transition period occurs little is posted. Then the new person establishes their preferred method of addressing fans while getting used to being hamstrung by the fact the FFA totally controls the voice clubs have.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu May 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Backroom staff are probably on contracts which terminate at season's end to avoid wages in the long offseason.

Understandable with our owners.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu May 18, 2017 4:15 pm

The club has now posted a 'thankyou Dylan' highlights video thing on Facebook.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Thu May 18, 2017 4:23 pm

When the Squad Update came out yesterday with no mention of a goodbye or thanks to Cirio or Dylan I wrote to the club thus:
"Thank you.
At what point will Adelaide United fans be given the opportunity to thank Cirio and McGowan (in particular but Hall and Mells also) for their years of brilliant service to the club.
These players have been fan favourites and brought us our first Championship. Surely we will celebrate their contribution.
Thanks,
Steve "

I got this response - from the receptionist:
"Hi Steve,
Thank you for your email.
All players started their annual leave after the last ACL match and won’t be returning until pre-season. All achievements on and off the field across the 16/17 season were recognised at the annual end of season awards night last Wednesday night. Which club officials, players, staff and members of the public where invited to attend.
Kind Regards, "

To which I have responded:
"Thank you for the response. I understand that it’s probably what you have been asked to send. Please would you pass this email on to the CEO.
Unfortunately the Club Awards night is a very expensive function that is hardly ‘open’ to all members, largely for financial reasons.
As a club we have an extremely poor record of recognising important players as they leave. There should always be an opportunity to say ‘goodbye’ at a game or an open club day.
Of course fans understand that there are hard decisions to be made about contracts and that not every decision needs to be explained but I reiterate that allowing Cirio and McGowan to leave without an opportunity for fans to say a proper goodbye and let them know how much they have been valued is another seriously bad decision that excludes most fans and all children.
It’s ‘little’ things like this that make people feel as if they are being ignored by the club. Little things like the players rarely all spending time with fans after a game and talking to the kids.
My 12 year old has been attending games since he was about three months old and we’re rusted on fans who are there every game and will continue to be but that doesn’t mean we’re happy with the way the club has communicated with the fans or the way we have disrespected players.
I have no idea how difficult it is to run Adelaide United within the constraints of finance and the FFA but I do know that taking the time to make sure that relationships with fans and players are sound will never be wasted time.
Regards,
Steve"

I love AU and I don't want to go crazy but how hard is it to do the simple things like thanking staff and players and including fans without charging them $150 a ticket?
milan_7
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: McGree

Postby milan_7 Thu May 18, 2017 4:32 pm

They are incredibly understaffed, apparently used to have like 20 odd in the office back in the day but now its only like 5 or 6.
Totally_Red
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Totally_Red Thu May 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Well said Jessesdad. I too was a fanatical fan of AUFC. These days although I still watch the games on Foxtel I feel my connection to the club is no longer there. I am also starting to question why follow AUFC when I can follow any other club and watch better quality football. To me following a club is more than just watching games. AUFC has treated fans with great disrespect and the club feels more like a business than something run to appease the community. Making sure fans are happy should be any clubs first priority. Without us fans there is no business to run.
If another club was to start in Adelaide tomorrow I believe I would be one of the first to jump ship. This would not normally be a easy decision for me to make as I have always been loyal to both the clubs I've played for and clubs I follow but AUFC seems to be doing or not doing things to make this decision easy. Griffin is AUFC worse enemy.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Thu May 18, 2017 6:20 pm

Well they're finally releasing some videos saying thank you. It's just too slow.

Staffing is definitely a problem. The person running all this appears to be a grad straight out of uni. Don't mean that to be disparaging to the guy. With that perspective I think he's doing a pretty bloody good job@
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu May 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Well they're finally releasing some videos saying thank you. It's just too slow.

Staffing is definitely a problem. The person running all this appears to be a grad straight out of uni. Don't mean that to be disparaging to the guy. With that perspective I think he's doing a pretty bloody good job@
Yeah which is something I've tried to point out to people abusing the club on twitter.
But it's just so sad to see the club really pump the merch sale they've got going. While thanking long serving players days after.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu May 18, 2017 10:38 pm

They are incredibly understaffed, apparently used to have like 20 odd in the office back in the day but now its only like 5 or 6.
Looking at the club website, the club have 12 not including Grant Mayer.

MV have 22.
milan_7
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: McGree

Postby milan_7 Fri May 19, 2017 10:07 pm

MV have 22.
I was talking like non football staff not including the board, my bad.
Futbol_Crazy21
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Adelaide United - General Issues and Discussion

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Sat May 20, 2017 11:51 am

MV have 22.
I was talking like non football staff not including the board, my bad.
Yeah so was I.
Administration
Chief Executive Officer - Grant Mayer 
Corporate Sales Manager - John Colalancia 
Business Development Manager - James Sellar 
Media & Communications Coordinator - Jordan Trombetta 
Digital & Marketing Coordinator - Tim Baker
Consumer Business Manager - Matt Rossi 
Consumer Business Executive - Mel Price
Events Manager - Zoe Andrews 
Graphic Designer - Monique Varricchio 
Community Football Manager - Nathan Kosmina