Adelaide United - General Issues and Discussion

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Adelaide United - General Issues and Discussion

Postby Stuckey Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:54 am

Just more evidence of the squandered opportunities winning the championship should have provided.
What sort of opportunities?
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:07 pm

ADELAIDE United chairman Greg Griffin has revealed the cost of playing in the AFC Champions League has forced his club and Brisbane Roar to consider withdrawing from the tournament.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a ... 680dd6b4bc
Posturing I would hope. But this sort of complaining just makes the club look silly. They've been gunning for the ACL for sometime. Now they are involved and they realise is an expensive exercise. Surely they would have looked at the cost of it prior? What else are they blinding diving into without ensuring they can afford to?
Maybe if the club wasn't in total disarray at the start of the campagn the side could have won a couple more matches and the ACL could be a valuable exercise. An away trip costs $60k, Three home wins covers those costs.

I agree the FFA needs to do more to help the HAL clubs involved in the ACL, and split rounds isn't enough. ACL clubs should be offered additional players to cover the schedule. Or the FFA should ensure there is extra football being played during the ACL that the younger HAL players can take part in so they aren't being flung into ACL football from almost nothing. I wonder if there is anything stopping HAL clubs from organising that themselves though, surely a few NPL clubs would be keen for mid-week games. Obviously its not ACL standard but it's better than nothing!
Why come out to the media and say this?

We have a do or die match in asia coming up with many champions of the club due to depart, lets focus on that!

Instead people are left with the quote "why are we doing this" from Griffin.

Call me crazy but the club probably made over 500k from the sale of mauk, henrique and djite so its swings and round a bout really isnt it griffin?

Totally happy for him to fight for a better deal just keep it out of the media and lets fans enjoy their football and find a way to convince them selves that the board shares the fans ambition
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
View From The Top
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Postby View From The Top Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:40 pm

Just more evidence of the squandered opportunities winning the championship should have provided.
Well, you'd think that being the champions and playing in the ACL could have ben used to attract good players and more sponsors. But no, everyone seemingly went on holiday for the entire off season, recruitment was, shall we say dire, and I cannot believe that IGA are a big ticket sponsor.

Now we cant even afford to play in the ACL.
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Well, you'd think that being the champions and playing in the ACL could have ben used to attract good players and more sponsors. But no, everyone seemingly went on holiday for the entire off season, recruitment was, shall we say dire, and I cannot believe that IGA are a big ticket sponsor.

I don't think they are saying they can't afford to play in the ACL, they are saying they don't want to pay so much to.
Obviously the club let themselves down with recruitment. But I think IGA is actually a great sponsor. I'm not sure what you're expecting but the HAL is still small potatoes compared to the likes of AFL and NRL.
As discussed earlier in the season AU got no money for winning the HAL last season. The only boost they've received financially is the boost to membership sales. Which is up (I think) around 20%. Other than that the club is still as poor as it was 12 months ago.
12 months ago I know AU was the 2nd poorest club in the HAL (ahead of Wellington).

This situation is bad and the club isn't doing themselves any favours whinging about it, but I think it's important for people to still keep in mind that a successful club isn't always a rich club, and a successful club that isn't a rich club is a very well run club. Sadly the club isn't successful anymore...
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:38 pm

I also found the timing of the Chairman's comments poor.

Did he praise the fighting qualities of the team?
Did he praise the players and coaching staff who gave the club a chance to progress further in the competition and by doing so also giving the supporters something to finally be happy about and the chance to hope and look forward again?
Did he thank the supporters and ask them to come out in their thousands to help the team get the win that could lead to the next round?
No, he just complained, with that mob from Brisbane, that they are not making enough money.

Va fangoulo.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:17 pm

You have crossed a line when 7g "speaks French " in Italian to you hehe.

Totally agree though , he certainly leaves the impression he does not want us to progress
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:24 am

Many of his comments appear to be aimed at generating momentum for changes to the A-League governance model.

Unfortunately the timing and content of the comments come out less Angela Merkel and more Kim Jong-un.
View From The Top
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Postby View From The Top Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:42 am

I don't think they are saying they can't afford to play in the ACL, they are saying they don't want to pay so much to.
Obviously the club let themselves down with recruitment. But I think IGA is actually a great sponsor. I'm not sure what you're expecting but the HAL is still small potatoes compared to the likes of AFL and NRL.
As discussed earlier in the season AU got no money for winning the HAL last season. The only boost they've received financially is the boost to membership sales. Which is up (I think) around 20%. Other than that the club is still as poor as it was 12 months ago.
12 months ago I know AU was the 2nd poorest club in the HAL (ahead of Wellington).

This situation is bad and the club isn't doing themselves any favours whinging about it, but I think it's important for people to still keep in mind that a successful club isn't always a rich club, and a successful club that isn't a rich club is a very well run club. Sadly the club isn't successful anymore...
And why do you think we are the second poorest club in the A-League? I'll give you a few clues:

Small town (pissant 8) ) thinking
Poor management
Inability to hold on to players/coaches (see poor management above)
Piss poor recruiting
frequent melt-downs, crises, re-buildings (see poor management above)

That we re poorer than Newcastle and Central Coast is a damning indictment of the club given we are the only A-League side in a city of just over 1 million.

And no, I do not expect us to compete with an AFL size budget, that is just a ridiculous suggestion. But surely with some better management and more stability we can do much better than we are.

While sensible money management is important to long-term sustainability, you have to spend (invest) money to make money and the club needs to get more regular success in order to grow. What we have currently is at best penny-pinching that will never allow growth, or, if they are spending all the available funds, wastage and mismanagement at a culpable scale.
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:17 am

And why do you think we are the second poorest club in the A-League? I'll give you a few clues:

Small town (pissant 8) ) thinking
Poor management
Inability to hold on to players/coaches (see poor management above)
Piss poor recruiting
frequent melt-downs, crises, re-buildings (see poor management above)

That we re poorer than Newcastle and Central Coast is a damning indictment of the club given we are the only A-League side in a city of just over 1 million.

And no, I do not expect us to compete with an AFL size budget, that is just a ridiculous suggestion. But surely with some better management and more stability we can do much better than we are.

While sensible money management is important to long-term sustainability, you have to spend (invest) money to make money and the club needs to get more regular success in order to grow. What we have currently is at best penny-pinching that will never allow growth, or, if they are spending all the available funds, wastage and mismanagement at a culpable scale.
Its the chicken or the egg situation though. The club has no money, you say they have to spend it to make it. Where is to money coming from to spend?
Especially if the club is losing serious money taking part in the ACL.
Time to Djbate!
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:36 am

Am I right in thinking Greg Griffin has done really well for himself but he is not in the league of Palmer or Tinkler or Sage as far as wealth and money?
If so perhaps Griffin simply does not have much money to put into the club so he needs to run it on a very tight budget.
I am Scott
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:00 am

Am I right in thinking Greg Griffin has done really well for himself but he is not in the league of Palmer or Tinkler or Sage as far as wealth and money?
If so perhaps Griffin simply does not have much money to put into the club so he needs to run it on a very tight budget.
He owns (at least a controlling share in) Griffins Lawyers. As far as I know its one of the largest law firms in Adelaide.

But I feel the wealth of the owners isn't the issue. Its the amount of income the club can make. Sponsorship is very low and has been the entire life of the club, memberships are decent but not a huge percentage of a club's income compared to other clubs.
Its not realistic for fans to expect owners to continue to pump money into the club when there is no sustainability in that money.
IMO the club could be run better. But it could be run a lot worse as well.

I agree with 7Gs thoughts though. It would be nice to hear the Chairman offer the side a little praise instead of complaining about how much money the only positive element of the season is costing the club. Although I'm sure he's more than happy with the results. But his thoughts do make me wonder if he'd be happy to see AU not progress.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:49 am

Greg does make good points on the champions league, and its nice to hear him speak positively about the side's results.

Obviously no one is going to love the lack of positivity he has about the discussion of Euge.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:32 pm

GG would have no where near as much money as Tinkler or Sage have (had) to throw money into the club.

He would be well off but there would be daylight between him and them.

He also just doesn't want to throw money into the club.

He wants it to be sustainable so that it can function without the constant need for injection from wealthy soccer loving owners, which lets face it, are tough to find in SA.

I definitely share in the criticism of him, it is infuriating that we don't sign players we want or need but I do sympathise with his intentions to run the club on a tight budget.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:53 pm

GG would have no where near as much money as Tinkler or Sage have (had) to throw money into the club.

He wants it to be sustainable so that it can function without the constant need for injection from wealthy soccer loving owners, which lets face it, are tough to find in SA.

I definitely share in the criticism of him, it is infuriating that we don't sign players we want or need but I do sympathise with his intentions to run the club on a tight budget.
Exactly what i was thinking.
I am Scott
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Im with you on that.

If he just kept his mouth closed and occasionally spoke about the clubs direction , future goals and difficulties id have so much more respect for him. I dont beleive he should be funneling limitless money into the club and if he can get the club to a stage where it is able to survive off its own funding then he deserves to be commended.

The problem is he speaks when its better to say nothing, he could do with a PR makeover and put himself out there as a man of the fans battling away for our little club and leave the politicle jostling for a spokemans of the club.

I actually feel for the guy because he has put so much effort into the club for little thanks from fans when there was no interest from people to own an aleague club which was seen to be a dying league. However its mostly his doing imo.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”