Adelaide United - General Issues and Discussion

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Agostinho
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Re: Adelaide United - General Issues and Discussion

Postby Agostinho Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Was good to see via Facebook the clip of the news piece. Even better to see this very thread (and EdDog's avatar!) on channel 7.

Agree with the general sentiment. Something has to change (and I hope its ownership tbh). The guys running this show clearly don't have the Adelaide United Football Club's best interests in hand.
#WeAreUnited
DeadAlive
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby DeadAlive Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:57 pm

The news on this caught my attention yesterday.
As someone who used to work at Weslo(ducks for cover), I not only have an understanding of a security guards/crowd controllers point of view, but yours as well.

I'll start by saying this.
Some of the attention over the years that some individuals and groups at Hindmarsh have received has been well deserved and justifiable. You guys know exactly the sort of behavior I am talking about.

However, there are some guards who do view it as 'wogball', and have a general dislike of most of you who attend games and are 'active' in supporting your team by making all the noise you do. Which I personally think is great because it's different to other sports in Australia.

Some guards have the view that you are all trouble makers. They have a predetermined mind set and aren't about to change it. Part of this mind set stems from the media coverage, the moment one of you steps out of line the media are all over it.
And believe me more people are evicted at AAMI stadium and Adelaide Oval then at Hindmarsh. But those are "Australian" sports, not foreign "wogball".
The "Hill" at Adelaide Oval is notorious for a reason. In years gone by we have had the police(including elements from the star group) step in and simply move in in groups and drag people out, that's how bad it has been. But the general public would not be aware of such occurrences because the media does not cover those events. I wont and cant get into details further then that however, so do not ask me.

You might think that having Weslo replaced by another company, such as ACG, will change things for the better. And for the most part, you would be right, things would change.
However the problem you will find is that a lot of the people who work for Weslo or used to work for Weslo, also work with ACG now and various other companies. If Weslo loses contracts, those people then go to the next company that picks up those contracts. That's how the industry works now days with casual workers and several event security companies on the scene.

Quite a few have moved on. Quite a few of them were ignorant and heavy handed because of their views of the sport and view of fans. However they were mostly heavy handed when they needed to be, ie dealing with drunken people who want to refuse directions.

I certainly understand the anger and frustration that some of you are feeling, I've had family and friends who have been evicted not just at Hindmarsh but other venues by the same people I used to work with, over minor issues such as a drunk sitting behind them and spilling beer continuously and an argument developing. Minor matters which could have been settled by moving people on in different directions, but were handled with a heavy hand because someone has the mindset that they are supercop because they have been given a security license.

Those experienced people who have moved on, have been replaced by inexperienced people. Some of these people lack adequate people skills, among other qualities and attributes. They will get in your face, literally and physically.
My suggestion to you guys who feel that you are being unfairly treated, is to firstly not ark up because when you do they have all the justification they need and that anyone above them cares about. What you should do is stay calm, do not swear because that could also get you evicted. Do not be a smart ass.
Politely and calmly ask to speak to their supervisor or a Weslo manager on site. Then explain to them the situation, again remaining calm and polite.

The moment that you raise your voice, swear, or are viewed as arking up, is when your opinion and view cease to be of any relevance. The police will not even listen to you then because they will have already been told that you are causing trouble.

Now, the claim that Weslo changed owners recently is false. Weslo changed owners quite a few years ago. The new owners also own Venuetix.
The old owner would not have employed most of the individuals you guys come across at Hindmarsh today. A lot(and I mean a lot) of these people are not suited to security work as a guard or as a crowd controller(there is a difference).
However Weslo not only has a negative reputation with you the public, they also have a negative reputation in the industry amongst employees for a wide range of reasons which I will not and can not go into detail about.

The other issue that you guys are likely not to be aware of, is that quite often the crowd controllers which come up to you and appear to be heavy handed, are only following orders given to them. Orders given to them by their superiors. At times they do not have a choice.

I'll finish off by saying that you shouldn't assume that all crowd controllers at the game are out to get you and ruin your experience. Quite a few actually think the effort you guys as supporters and fans put in is amazing.
The unfortunate thing is that those who think the opposite and do get heavy handed over minor issues, will always be there, whether it is Weslo or another security company.

I do not know whether you will be successful in your efforts and campaign, but you have so far managed to get the medias attention. Channel 10's sports report just mentioned your planned protest at the next match over poor treatement of fans.
All I can suggest is keep it up. Because even I, as a former guard/crowd controller, was tired of seeing the things that you guys are frustrated over. There's only two outcomes, you will either change things for the better, or the status quo will continue. You have only something to gain, nothing to lose.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:43 pm

The news on this caught my attention yesterday.
As someone who used to work at Weslo(ducks for cover), I not only have an understanding of a security guards/crowd controllers point of view, but yours as well.

I'll start by saying this.
Some of the attention over the years that some individuals and groups at Hindmarsh have received has been well deserved and justifiable. You guys know exactly the sort of behavior I am talking about.

However, there are some guards who do view it as 'wogball', and have a general dislike of most of you who attend games and are 'active' in supporting your team by making all the noise you do. Which I personally think is great because it's different to other sports in Australia.

Some guards have the view that you are all trouble makers. They have a predetermined mind set and aren't about to change it. Part of this mind set stems from the media coverage, the moment one of you steps out of line the media are all over it.
And believe me more people are evicted at AAMI stadium and Adelaide Oval then at Hindmarsh. But those are "Australian" sports, not foreign "wogball".
The "Hill" at Adelaide Oval is notorious for a reason. In years gone by we have had the police(including elements from the star group) step in and simply move in in groups and drag people out, that's how bad it has been. But the general public would not be aware of such occurrences because the media does not cover those events. I wont and cant get into details further then that however, so do not ask me

You might think that having Weslo replaced by another company, such as ACG, will change things for the better. And for the most part, you would be right, things would change.
However the problem you will find is that a lot of the people who work for Weslo or used to work for Weslo, also work with ACG now and various other companies. If Weslo loses contracts, those people then go to the next company that picks up those contracts. That's how the industry works now days with casual workers and several event security companies on the scene.

Quite a few have moved on. Quite a few of them were ignorant and heavy handed because of their views of the sport and view of fans. However they were mostly heavy handed when they needed to be, ie dealing with drunken people who want to refuse directions.

I certainly understand the anger and frustration that some of you are feeling, I've had family and friends who have been evicted not just at Hindmarsh but other venues by the same people I used to work with, over minor issues such as a drunk sitting behind them and spilling beer continuously and an argument developing. Minor matters which could have been settled by moving people on in different directions, but were handled with a heavy hand because someone has the mindset that they are supercop because they have been given a security license.

Those experienced people who have moved on, have been replaced by inexperienced people. Some of these people lack adequate people skills, among other qualities and attributes. They will get in your face, literally and physically.

My suggestion to you guys who feel that you are being unfairly treated, is to firstly not ark up because when you do they have all the justification they need and that anyone above them cares about. What you should do is stay calm, do not swear because that could also get you evicted. Do not be a smart ass.
Politely and calmly ask to speak to their supervisor or a Weslo manager on site. Then explain to them the situation, again remaining calm and polite

The moment that you raise your voice, swear, or are viewed as arking up, is when your opinion and view cease to be of any relevance. The police will not even listen to you then because they will have already been told that you are causing trouble.

Now, the claim that Weslo changed owners recently is false. Weslo changed owners quite a few years ago. The new owners also own Venuetix.

The old owner would not have employed most of the individuals you guys come across at Hindmarsh today. A lot(and I mean a lot) of these people are not suited to security work as a guard or as a crowd controller(there is a difference).
However Weslo not only has a negative reputation with you the public, they also have a negative reputation in the industry amongst employees for a wide range of reasons which I will not and can not go into detail about.

The other issue that you guys are likely not to be aware of, is that quite often the crowd controllers which come up to you and appear to be heavy handed, are only following orders given to them. Orders given to them by their superiors. At times they do not have a choice.

I'll finish off by saying that you shouldn't assume that all crowd controllers at the game are out to get you and ruin your experience. Quite a few actually think the effort you guys as supporters and fans put in is amazing.
The unfortunate thing is that those who think the opposite and do get heavy handed over minor issues, will always be there, whether it is Weslo or another security company.

I do not know whether you will be successful in your efforts and campaign, but you have so far managed to get the medias attention. Channel 10's sports report just mentioned your planned protest at the next match over poor treatement of fans.
All I can suggest is keep it up. Because even I, as a former guard/crowd controller, was tired of seeing the things that you guys are frustrated over. There's only two outcomes, you will either change things for the better, or the status quo will continue. You have only something to gain, nothing to lose.
Fantastic first up post!!! No sane person could deny any of the points you made.

Can tell me if a security guard must show his liscense or accreditation upon request or give an operator number?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
DeadAlive

Postby DeadAlive Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:24 pm

If you ask to see their license they have to show you their license. You are well within your rights to ask to see his/her license. I don't think it's a matter that SAPOl will care all that much about though if they refuse to show it to you.

However they don't have to hold it up long enough for you to read everything on it, such as their name. In reality all they are required to do is flash it for a few seconds for you to see that it is a security license and put it away.

Top left corner says Agents License top right corner says South Australia. They are similar in look to other licenses such as electricians and plumbers.
Has their photo, full name, expiry date and license number.

One other bit of information which might be helpful, is the crowd controller numbers they were. They change from event to event, but for a specific event that number is tied to that person by way of a register which is a legal requirement. Take note of the time as well.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Great to hear from someone is the industry cheers. Not surprising at all really.
This all highlights that if there is open communication between: Weslo, stadium management, AUFC and the fans much of these issue will become isolated and all can understand where everyone else is coming from.
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:07 pm

DeadAlive.
Thank you for that great first post.
Insightful and thought provoking.

One comment you made,
But those are "Australian" sports, not foreign "wogball".
hits the nail on the head.

This is the attitude and mindset that must change.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Shane

Postby Shane Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:15 pm

It wont change if the club wont stand up. This is the core message.
Shano. Red to the core.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Great to hear from someone is the industry cheers. Not surprising at all really.
This all highlights that if there is open communication between: Weslo, stadium management, AUFC and the fans much of these issue will become isolated and all can understand where everyone else is coming from.
BINGO!!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Been chatting with a couple of MLS supporters who experienced the same issues with their clubs.
Their answers were all the same.
Regular meeting with management, security, the club and fans. Solve many of the issues. A lot of the issues don't go away completely. Obviously with the casual nature of security guard employment you will have new people and new problems but with regular meetings and direct communitcation to and from the club with fans many issue can either be resolved or with direct contact negative experiences can be changed into positive ones by the club assisting fans with the problems.
Time to Djbate!
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34 pm

DeadAlive welcome! I have heard the same exact things from others who work/used to work for Weslo. Quite a few specifically tried to get put on in the Western Stand, the centre of the Eastern Stand or the bridges between the North/South to Western Stand so they could avoid the people who helped create the shit storm that was easily preventable.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:54 pm

DeadAlive: sensational.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
PedoRyall

Postby PedoRyall Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:15 am

A weslo who I got along with and speak to a bit has called me and said he quit weslo recently and wants to join us tomorrow night :D
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/adelaide-united-make-a-stand-against-hindmarsh-stadium.html
Shane

Postby Shane Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 am

Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time to join and post this!
Shano. Red to the core.
admin

Postby admin Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:04 pm

We Are The Reds, in addition to this letter, are now asking supporters on the We Are The Reds Facebook Page to assist with providing feedback (both positive and negative), incidents, suggestions and ideas that can be put forward to the club in a sensible and constructed manner.

https://www.facebook.com/wearetheredsAU?ref=hl

From the We Are The Reds Facebook Page;

The following is a letter by Adelaide United supporter Brendan Kilpatrick, which highlights the core reasons behind the recent protests and the issues that have come to fruition regarding how our club, Adelaide United, is managed.

Please have a read and reply with your feedback (both positive and negative), incidents, suggestions and ideas that can be put forward to The Club, as organised by you, the true heart of this club.

Note: Please be mindful of other people, refrain from any personal attacks and post in a detailed manner where possible. The feedback you provide is critical to obtaining an understanding of what the club is doing well and what the club can improve on from a supporters perspective.

The letter by Brendan is as follows;

"To The Adelaide United Board, Stadium Management, All Fans and Stakeholders of The Adelaide United Football Club.

Football in this country has never been stronger. The A-League has never been more popular. The mainstream media seem to have, for the most part, almost cottoned on that football’s Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters are actually the same red blooded Aussies that buy their papers and watch their news bulletins.

My beloved Adelaide United are winning games and sitting a strong second on the table with a little under half the season to play. Most weeks we’re even doing it playing an exciting brand of football.

What the hell then have I got to whinge about?

Well, and believe me it kills me to say this, on field results aside, being an Adelaide United Supporter at Hindmarsh Stadium in recent seasons has become about as enjoyable as watching Graham Cornes attempt a guitar solo in a rock and roll band.

We don’t feel valued – and we’re not being listened to.

Football is like no other game. It’s as much about the fans as it is the sport itself. It’s about tribal support, the marches, the singing and the choreographed tifo’s in the stands. It’s about people of all backgrounds coming together to cheer on, and to debate the fortunes of their club. It’s the most important 90 minutes of the week and it’s about passion – passion is not a crime.

This passion isn’t to be confused with hooliganism or the idiotic behaviour of a minority.

Let me be clear, endangering the welfare of others by ripping a flare in a crowd, throwing a missile or yelling racial abuse does not make you a fan. It makes you an idiot, and idiots engaging in this behaviour should rightly be banned from ever attending games at Hindmarsh.

Whether it’s been a well-intended but poorly executed attempt to clean out a small band of trouble makers or actually a deliberate move to transplant the World Bowls Series from Lockleys and Holdfast Bay to Hindmarsh I don’t know. Either way it’s been going badly wrong for a while, and it’s rapidly getting worse.

Stifling and over sanitising our game’s unique voice and colour is short-sighed and you won’t just lose your active support, you’ll lose the lot. Acknowledge that it’s our biggest asset and foster its growth and you’ll sell out Hindmarsh every week.

The players and coaching staff often talk about the importance and influence having a vocal “twelfth man” in the stands can have on a game. The silent protests by sections of the crowd at this week’s match against Perth Glory and the applause it brought from the rest of the fans around the stadium when those sections did finally break into song beautifully illustrated just how important a part of the fabric of Adelaide United the active support is.

There is more to solve here though than the over-zealous and heavy handed actions of stadium security which prompted the protests.

It’s clear that under the current ownership, The Club has not successfully engaged its fans. The recent comments and attitude of CEO Glenn Elliott on the Channel Seven news in anticipation of Friday night’s impending protests only served to further the view that the board are out of touch with the people.

As fans we have a right to demand better – but also an obligation to do better.

The active support groups, as the loudest and most visible sections of the fans have a responsibility to be well organised, well represented, welcoming and self-policing.

The Club may be privately owned, but it belongs to the community. This is “Our State, Our Team” and to be successful it needs to remain “The People’s Team”.

It is beholden on all parties to recognise their own short comings and to come together and resolve their differences and work together on improving the match day experience for the good of The Club.

I implore The Club to facilitate a series of fan forums – not simply as a PR exercise but to initiate real and ongoing dialogue between The Club and its supporters. These forums should be open to all fans of The Club no matter of their association (or otherwise) with an active support group, no matter whether they are financial members or season ticket holders or not.

This needs to happen now – and it needs to continue into the future.

But what would I know. I’m just a fan."
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:57 am

Club song.

I wouldn't label it as a 'club song', though; rather, a song for the supporters. Take 'YNWA' for Liverpool and 'I Just Can't Get Enough' for Celtic.

To implement such a song, it's important that a connection is made and does not seem like a manufactured, top-down attempt to create culture.

Suggestions:

The Pogues - South Australia.

Various versions of this; it could easily be sung by a group of people, great fun. Even remove the music for added affect.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”